Follow by Email

Friday, December 5, 2014

Italian Collage, Fine Art and Flying





Apart from gallivanting around the world, 
visiting family and rescuing other humans...
I have also been busy in the studio..


The holidays
are always a time for giving...
and gifting..


and if you are an artist, it is also the time for working

small..




3x3 mini canvas, mixed media collage, Caterina Giglio


not as easy as some would think
working on sizes outside the comfort zone
is necessary if you want to shake off a few cobwebs...

this is a tiny collection that reflects
our resilience, our ability to fly even though our wings may be tattered or patched..
inspired by the people in my life who
are still flying, 
facing death, insurmountable grief,
and the total loss of memory..







Patched Morpho, mixed media on canvas..





when the Japanese have a bowl or cup that is cracked or broken
they repair the item with gold which makes the cup stronger
and obviously more beautiful...

My Patched Morpho, above is repaired with gold leaf...






the chunky canvas above are enlarged below
the dragonfly wing is stitched together
flying out of the mist...




Out of the Mist, 4 x 4 x 1 1/2 canvas






Winging, 4 x 4 x 1 1/2 canvas


the wing is a rubber stamp, I cut for the show and printed on an old book page...




and it wouldn't
be the holidays without angels...

The French Guardian below




4 x 4 canvas, French Guardian



the only piece on paper.. below
the little Putti..






Putti, 5 x 7 watercolor paper...





and finally,
the last three pieces
I love the way they look together...









These are all on board
which I adore, because they take such a beating..
and you know how I love texture..
Italian collage, 
antique ephemera
and gold leaf...




Soaring, 5 x 7 board, Italian collage, mixed media






Bird of Paradise, Italian Collage, mixed media hand cut rubber stamp on 5 x 7 board





Patched Dragonfly, Italian Collage, 5 x 7 board


and I just had to shoot a photo of them
below... all framed and waiting for 
their protective covers...

all
off to 
EsScentuals

to debut in their little 
holiday show...











we are off again,
this time to see family and to welcome a 
new grand baby..

there are few things more
wonderful than welcoming a new human into the world..

a lovely 
Holiday gift...


xo


32 comments:

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

You've used your time in studio wisely ... ALL of these are beautiful! The last three framed are simply powerful. Happy Family Holidays!

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, Thank you, I loved the way they looked and how they related to one another!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Wow, Cat, you have been a busy girl! I can't believe you got all these done, with all your traveling... I am completely in love with these pieces, and just keep looking at them again and again...

Sharmon Davidson said...

oh, and I forgot to say, congratulations on the new grandbaby!!

Jo Murray said...

Am loving the distressed look of these.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am impressed because I can't seem to work small at all. I much prefer large, and you used small to your advantage.

It was nice to see an eclectic mix of canvas, board, and paper together for your latest show. and that stamp shows you are a true artist whatever you are attempting. Very, very impressive art and I appreciate you sharing it.

Kelly M. said...

These pieces are lovely! There's something about the tiny works that invite a closer scrutiny, more time to look and ponder, isn't there? And congratulations on your new grand baby!

Valerianna said...

Love the little winged ones :) and have a wonderful welcoming the new human!

Judy Martin said...

Well, these are so very lovely.
Working small in December - what a great concept.

Congratulations Caterina, for these beautiful pieces, for the new grand baby, and for being on the cover two posts back.

A positive time for you. A sweet life.
x

Seth said...

Small pieces...big beauty!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Fabulous new work. 3x3 is pretty tiny but you are up to any challenge. xox

Dorthe said...

Surely welcoming a new grandchild is the biggest gift ,and such a happy thing ,to travel for. Congratulations dear Caterina.
I so love your tiny creations, and also the little bigger ones,- the French Guardian was such a surprice and the Putti, too - as I think it is first time I see you using such images,- I totally love them. Everything is beautiful and stunning in your own special way, my dear.
Hugs,Dorthe, and travel safe.

Kim Andersen said...

These are lovely Cat - and I would never guess they were outside your comfort zone!

suziqu's thread works said...

Each little and bigger piece of textural artwork here is so poignant and inspirational in its own special way. It is really challenging to create out of our comfort zone and your tiny 3"x3" are gorgeous! Love Patched Morpho
and Out of the Mist!

Linda Jo said...

Such beauty! And congrats on the grand baby! Adorable pic on FB!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sharmon.. yes, waaaay busy!! It has been a crazy year! So glad you like the new pieces, lots of texture and emotion... x

Caterina Giglio said...

And Sharmon, I forgot to say thank you! Baby Kori is adorable!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks, Jo!

Caterina Giglio said...

E, working small is always a challenge for me, 5 x 7 is small to me, I prefer to work on larger boards or papers.. I am so bossy and have so much to say!! LOL!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Kelly, thanks for stopping by... I agree, tiny works are intriguing, and so are tiny humans!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Val, thank you... I must say, she has stolen my heart.. x

Caterina Giglio said...

Judy, thank you! I agree, small for the holiday is so appropriate... and yes, it is a very sweet time! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Seth... we speak the same language... texture... grin..

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh! Corrine, you have such faith!! LOL!!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Dorthe, when I was represented in Taos, New Mexico, I made many shrines and used angel images quite often, I don't use them much anymore... but for this series, I quite liked the idea of the fallen angel... one who was led away and returns to fly in assistance and guardianship... xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

well, Kim, that is because I have to do smalls each year for my gallery, but believe me, I dread it and unfortunately.. I often procrastinate a bit about it!! I am always happy when they are finished!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Suzi, thank you, how kind, and I too love the morpho! thanks for popping by!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Linda Jo! She is a beauty and it was hard for us to leave her and come home!! She was a lovely gift!! xo

Gaby Bee said...

First of all congratulations on the new grandbaby, Cat!
Love your tiny creations, especially winged ones!

Holiday hugs,
Gaby

Bluebirds and Roses said...

Inspiring I like ho you finished them with frame and glass.

Caterina Giglio said...

Gaby! thanks so much, our new grand baby is pure delight and ensures much fun and wonder for some time to come!! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Bluebirds and Roses, thank you so much, they are quite at home in black frames and glass.. I agree... thanks for stopping by!