Follow by Email

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

time for a change




well, dear hearts, 
this month marks my blog anniversary
after thousands of posts...

and we have been through so much together ...
 you and I...

5
 years ago
 I started writing this blog...
and it was shortly thereafter that my brother committed suicide..
that kind of experience can stop you in your footsteps...
but I decided to continue...
because my dear friend Sarah urged me on and though I had great resistance...



detail from Hymns and Tunes, Mixed Media 30 x 40



with hesitation, I decided to try it..
if you have blogged, then you know that when you first start, you wonder if you are just
yammering endlessly to yourself
 ... and does it really matter?
But...
what I found was a whole community of like minded people, artists and creatives that became friends... some of whom, I have actually met in person!
 and been privileged to appear in collaborative shows..  


Hymns and Tunes, in the private collection of Brett and Robin Pavel, paper wing made from hymn pages which were gilded.

If you are a blogger, or have been a blogger, then you know what a commitment it is.. when I began blogging there were so many blogs... and sadly some of my favorites have left the blog world...



Encaustic texture a detail from The Flower Girl series



many artists find it difficult to create art and try to document what they they are creating.. keeping a visual online journal can be a struggle..
there are many times when I simply
 would rather be in the studio..

it was why I gave up teaching..
I just want to work..


Many of you have been blogging a lot longer than I have and 
and I have to tell you now
how I appreciate what you do, and how I love stopping by your blogs to see what you 
have posted...



Encaustic detail. Sweet Mona, from the Flower Girl Series



it takes a while to find your stride as a blogger, and at first I blogged constantly..
now I feel comfortable with a couple posts each week
enough to allow plenty of studio time...
and time to photograph
my work and the world around me...




Two Graces Gallery, Taos NM,  my gallery representation from 2004-2011

I named my blog
La Dolce Vita, The Sweet Life... to honor my heritage and my grandparents who were immigrants from Italy and to describe my outlook...

Life is truly good..
and if you have followed me, you know that I have been through
deaths and difficulties in the last five years..

but I truly believe that Life is Good
and I have tried pessimism and 
optimism feels so much better... 




Post card for my Solo show at Two Graces



this 5 year old has however decided to change her name...




one of the pieces from the Age of Sincerity Show



and if you have noticed...
the header on my blog is changed
to 
caterinagiglio
contemporary mixed media artist..





Heartening, Mixed Media Assemblage, from the Sacred Hearts Show at EsScentuals


and I am going to be cleaning up the blog 
and making room for more changes...





I still have a weakness for shrines
and assemblage...









but lacking the space in a temporary dwelling, I must create
with what I have...

soon we will be in a permanent location..
complete with gardens...



Monarch, Mixed Media painting on canvas with embedded nicho


when I began creating shrines,
I fell in love with the color blue...

with the verdigris that I
made to age metal..
and I created several pieces that were figurative





Lahksmi, private collection of Sarah Fishburn


and landscapes of New Mexico...
one of my favorite muses...




Chiesa De San Francisco, Acrylic and Mixed Media on canvas


I tried creating figurative sculpture, for a doll show at
 Two Graces...
which gave me infinite respect and 
appreciation for sculptors...
and I quickly decided that it was sadly not my forte..
the wire work alone was daunting...
the tiny clothes and stitching was exacting and the molding, sanding and 
painting was tedious..
but I loved the santos that I created...
  







and then I created
Italian Collage...




Gentle Flow, Italian Collage, mixed media painting



and adored the texture that I could
compress with the pasta machine...
it is still my favorite thing to do..




Mysterieux, Italian Collage, Mixed Media Painting, in The Pulse of Mixed Media



when I moved to Michigan, 
I found representation with 
The Artisan's Bench... 






and 
mark making with stitches was something I was doing 
long ago, and I am delighted
that I was published in the very first issue
of 
Sew Somerset...
I missed one issue due to illness
but enjoyed making the bird quilts below...






It is good to look back..
to see where you have been..
if you don't ...
then how do you know where you are going?




The Sparrow House, Mixed Media collage



 book making
is a passion..
my Fly Journal is in a private collection
I hand stitched a crumbling antique album
and created pages
that reflected the uplifting nature
of the title..






and as you know, I have 
a weakness for travel journals..
especially brown paper bag journals that 
I love stitiching..
the one below was covered in
tyvek and painted and stained to look like leather...




you can view the pages of this journal on my Pinterest Page



The French Paper Series Show at EsScentuals, current representation 


all of my representation has been been supportive...
I have loved my collaboration with
all my galleries..
and am so happy to continue work 
with Meg DeWeese 
at EsScentuals..





La Loire, Italian Collage and Mixed Media





it is time for a change...

 this little blog is in my name only now, 
but the sweet life will remain...
I have no intention of abandoning it ...
or 
you..

Thank you for keeping up with me
for the past 5 years...
for lurking and following, hovering and friending...
for your readership at a time
when blogs seem to be struggling..
for your kind words in difficult times and celebrations, 
I am most appreciative of your kind support
and I hope you will continue to
stop by the 
Sweet Life...



53 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Such a wonderful post....loving seeing all your work...xox

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Embrace your change as I will. xo

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Great to see all your work together and to read of your new title. We have been blogging about as many years and I have always enjoyed your posts! There was a time when the comments page was overflowing on all the blogs and yet for me I see a drop in comments but on my stats there are still so many people checking in ... I agree things are different. I will be anxious to follow your changes as they happen and know that it has always been my pleasure to stop by!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Corrine! It is amazing to see so much past work together.. Thank you!

Thanks for your kind support, Marilyn! I remember the interview you did on me .. A long time ago now!

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann! I agree.. Comments are down.. I think people check in.. Lurk.. But leave fewer comments.. I don't know what it is, but I love stopping by your blog! Thanks for blogging!

Suzi Smith said...

Maybe more people read via feeds or mobiles now, that don't encourage commenting?

Coming up 5 years for me too though i have disappeared at times for a little while… and thinking of a change too! I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you…. for the inspiration, the comments (i admit to being a sporadic commenter!)…. you're one of the people who has been an encouragement just by being there… here…. and i really appreciate your presence in bloglandia and your visits over the years.

Here's to many more wonderful posts xoxo

Marie Danti said...

Good for you Cat! Your renewed energy and enthusiastic commitment to your blog is evident and most likely "contagious" for all of us faithful readers here. I really enjoyed looking back with you at photos of your past work and continuing evolution. Cheers!

Bernadette Youngquist said...

Hi Caterina, I can't believe I have missed your blog posts up to this point. I am glad I stumbled upon it on FB: what a lovely overview of your journey thus far. Your work is beautiful and romantic and a pleasure to look at. Perhaps our paths will cross one of these days as I live in Fort Collins too and even worked at EsScentuals once upon a time. Best wishes.

Gayle Price said...

Thank you for continuing, and, sharing your story. I don't get by as often as I would like but you have always, and will continue to be a source of joy, delight and inspiration with what you do. xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful retrospective. How nice to see all these works in one spot: your blog.

I would be heart broken if you decided to stop blogging. It's the only thing I have that connects me to you, since I'm not on any of the other social media sites. I'll change the icon on my sidebar if I need to, but it showed up OK earlier today.

I notice I get over 100 visitors a day, but only about 1/10th of those (or less) leave a comment. I wonder how many people visited before Blogger started providing stats.

I'm so glad you haven't abandoned the Sweet Life, but are now onto bigger and better things. Keep them coming, please. You KNOW you are an inspiration to me, especially since I take all your sewn art to heart.

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Toutes mes félicitations pour ces cinq longues années de blog.
Il n'est pas toujours facile effectivement de tenir à jour un blog, le faire vivre à son image... Comme vous le dites si bien, la vie nous réserve des joies et aussi des peines... Le blog nous aime aussi à traverser les moments douloureux. Il nous porte...

Je vous embrasse et rendez-vous dans cinq ans !
Gros bisous ❤︎ ❀ ❁ ❀ ❤︎

Linda Jo said...

Great post! Congrats on 5 years of blogging. You had me worried there.... I was afraid you were going to tell us you were closing your blog!

Connie Rose said...

What fabulous work you do! Congrats on 5 years blogging!

maya matthew said...

Congratulations on the five years Caterina. I've been delighted to see your beautiful work, may you create many more pieces of work and follow your heart. Good wishes.

Jo Murray said...

This post was a gorgeous retrospective of your work, and your successes, Caterina. Your change is a positive one, and indicative of you taking charge of what is to come. Well done.

ArtPropelled said...

A most enjoyable post! It's been great to follow your progress. Congrats on 5 years of blogging!

Chris Gray said...

Congrats on the 5 years Catarina!

I so enjoyed this post...and was delighted for the Pinterest link....which I have now bookmarked so that I can go back later and have a really loooooooooooooooong look :-)
Here's to the next 5....

x C

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Suzi! That is a thought.. Concerning mobile viewing..I also think they feel they might have time to see the post but not comment? Yes.. We all have a tendency to disappear now and then! You are so welcome.. So happy you find it a happy place to visit.. Xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Marie thanks for being a faithful reader.. One of my "gentle readers" for sure! I will sorely miss your blog! I am hoping you will keep sharing your work on FB! X

Caterina Giglio said...

Bernadette! How is it that our paths never crossed in such a small town? I certainly would remember such a beautiful name! Yes, I am a hopeful romantic.. My work does reflect that.. So happy you like it.. Stop by any time!

Caterina Giglio said...

Gail, dear one! So thankful for you and your blog.. Come by anytime.. And whenever you get the chance it will be lovely to have you visit! Xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh E! Thank you for taking it all to heart.. It comes from my heart of course! I have a renewed sense of enthusiasm.. And hope it shows.. I think we are close to having a permanent home and that makes my heart swoon! Stay tuned and thanks for being a "gentle reader"
I so appreciate our friendship.. X

Valerianna said...

Loved seeing a little retrospective of your work... thanks! Sadly, my blog has been very quiet. I hope, now that school is out, to remedy that. Glad you will be continuing, I got a tad nervous! Happy spring and creating to you - Valerianna

Caterina Giglio said...

Bonjour!
Je vous envoie des baisers de retour! et je vous remercie beaucoup pour vos aimables paroles .. Je suis très touché .. merci .. caterina

Caterina Giglio said...

Linda Jo! LOL! I didn't realize that.. but you are right... it does sound like a goodbye, and in a way it is... I am going to be changing a few things but the basics will remain, so happy that you would miss the Sweet Life1 xx

Caterina Giglio said...

Connie Rose! Thank ou so much..

Maya, Thank you for your kind words, I love stopping by your place and so enjoy your work as well! Thank you for your blog! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Jo, so happy that you liked the post and the little retrospective... so happy to stop by your blog and happy to have met in the blog world!

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Robyn, when I started blogging... I found your blog right away and it has been a joy to me and to many others, I know... thank you for your uplifting and inspiring posts and thank you for always stopping by.. x

Caterina Giglio said...

Chris, thank you so much, I am so happy we met in the blog world! it is so fun to stop by your place to see what creative fun you are up to! grazie!

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh Val... no concerns.. I am going to continue with a fresh look and I am moving in the fall and will finally have gardens again, which makes me oh so very happy.. a bit more rural and less neighbors around will suit me fine... I adore your blog and your posts... and miss you when you are away... xx

angela recada said...

Wow! What an amazing body of work! We've only know each other via the internet for a relatively short period of time, but in that time you have inspired me tremendously with all the gorgeous things you create and your beautiful outlook on life.

Wishing you all the best, always.
xo

Dorthe said...

Dear Cat,
What a road you have been on ,both in your private life and in your art. I never saw the start of your blog, and therefore also not your art from back then. It is all so amazing and very special and beautiful. I love all you did, from then till now.
You are a wonderful artist and woman, and I can`t wait to see what is around your next corner.
HUGS from Dorthe

lynne h said...

thanks for all the inspiration, for all these years, cat... : )

i *did* notice that you'd changed the name of your blog. it struck me right away...

create on, sweet woman...

xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Angela, you inspire me as well... I love your posts and love following you on Tumblr as well! So happy that we found each other via blogland! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Dorthe, thank you so much for your kind words.. and for your appreciation for my art. As always you are so kind and dear.. you are such a "gentle reader" and I appreciate you so! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

ah lynne, a little trip down memory lane... it does an artist good to see the accomplishments and to stop and give thanks for what one has learned on the way... thanks for always stopping by dear one... xoxo

Margie said...

Cat,
You are such a gifted artist and this post is truly lovely.
Congrats on the 5 years of blogging, my anniversary is coming up in June, it will be 8 years for me.
I have met some wonderful people(like you) but none is person (as yet)

I wish you 'a sweet life' always.

xo

~*~Patty S said...

...by any other name and still so sweet (or something similar with apologies to the bard ;) )...
Lovely retrospective and sweet plans for the future...
happy you are continuing dear Cat ♥...it is lovely getting to know you here and enjoying your creativity in so many ways!
Congrats on five years of blogging too!
oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Margi, congrats on YOUR blogoversary!! such a long time, I admire that! And you! It is lovely to make new friends, pen pals... take good care.. sending hugs your way.. xxxxxx

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh Patty, how I admire you and your blog, it is always such an inspiration and makes me happy whenever I stop by your place for a beauty break. It has been wonderful to get to know you if only on line... one day maybe... thanks for your kind words and sending hugs back to you! xoxox

Catharina Maria said...

It is a beautiful post that you have made !I love it all !
Love from ♥RINI♥

Caterina I am so happy that my laptop is working again so that I can see your art ;0) ♥ Catharina ♥

Priti.Lisa said...

what is most memorable to me is how I knew of your art
before
I knew you...
you have a legacy
a beautiful contribution
to the planet and humanity...
You, Cat, are a Rock Star!
♥ ♥ ♥

layers said...

Congrats on 5 years and many more. I had to smile at your comment that you are down to 2 posts a week and I am trying to get one done a month! All your collages here are wonderful.

Caterina Giglio said...

Rini! I stopped by your place and saw that you have a new laptop! So happy! thanks and I will be by soon! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Ah miss Lisa... you do make me blush! I feel the same way about you! Thank you for your blog and your wonderful outlook... you inspire me! Muah!! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Donna, I have to admit .. it won't be two a week when my studio space increases! I will be working too much, I am sure to post that often... I adore your posts and so look forward to them.. thanks for blogging!

rivergardenstudio said...

Dear Cat, I have been blogging a little over five years too! I am having a little bit of a hard time keeping up though. I love seeing all of your work and reading your musings...
roxanne

CERULEAN said...

Congrats on 5 year of blogging. And what a wonderful overview of what you're doing.

sharon said...

I am so glad I now understand everything from the beginning, and can see your beautiful art as a whole! I certainly look forward to so much more beauty! Hugs!

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Roxanne.. You are sooo very busy.. That you find time to blog amazes me! Finding your blog was a delight and I love stopping by your place for my beauty breaks.. Xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Eric, thanks for coming by to help celebrate my milestone.. I so appreciate your visit..

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sharon! When we finally settle in to our new place, I will have to show my old work.. I know I have it packed in boxes! Thanks for coming over for a visit! Xox

Linda said...

What a precious blog post! It was so good to see examples of your past work.
Congratulations on five years of beautiful blogging....and here's to many more.
Keep inspiring us Cat.....xx