Friday, June 21, 2013

mixed media







mixing media 
is a passion for me, right now I am still in love with fabric
stitches, paint and paper..
but who knows where it will lead...

when people ask me what kind of art 
I create, and I say ..." mixed media".. I just wait for that glazed look to appear on the face..








I still adore painting and I am sure I will return to it, but it will be different..

when that happens, I normally try to bail them out... by saying
I put paint, papers and thread and fabric on canvas and boards...






since I cannot show you my new pieces, I thought I would take you to work today
you can see my view of my work desk ...
and some of the khadi papers I am working on...


the general response is... "oh ... interesting"





I am taking next week off and have to finish my deadlines before I go...
I really want to play this summer...
mixing up something new in the studio...
making Italian Collage
and experimenting...

and if I have the time, I try to pursue that comment with...
"interesting... good or bad?" lol







how I love to experiment...
it seems that I always learn something new and wonderful
whenever I say, "what if I tried this...

what I have found is that most people have heard of "mixed media"
but they don't know what that means..
and they are intimidated by art...







working on a new collection...
the Sewing Series for my new Sew Article...
and I think you will like it...


period.
that is something that has to change...







I will be back with a post on  Monday before I take off to visit family
in the north part of the state...

so do stop by

to say 

Ciao!



right?





15 comments:

Priti.Lisa said...

so right.
I get the same response,
usually followed
by asking me if I make money.
I want to say,
money isn't the point of art.
I have money enough.
But there is never enough
Love.
and that is the point of art.

It is interesting,
the double
over-lapping
dialogue in this post.
Kind of like you layered art.
Interesting in a GOOD way.
Love♥♥♥

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I agree...the money helps pay the bills but the truth is that I can not stop creating..this move is preventing me from working with my hands. One more week so i am writing ideas and inspirations down...for future reference... and I truly love visiting you studio work space. Imagine and Live in peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

DD Wilson said...

Have tried to find a source for Khadi paper, hard to find. Would you be willing to share where you buy yours?
Really enjoy seeing your combination of fabric and vintage tidbits.

Becca said...

Oo...I loved taking a peek into your studio where you create that beautiful mixed media art! I just picked up the latest copy of SEW just last night to take on our little trip over to the Olympic Peninsula.

Dorthe said...

So interesting that you have so many people not knowing about mixed media!! I thought it was only me ,here in Denmark, whom got that glaced look !!! -
Thank`s for the look into your studio,- I too love to work on many things at a time!! Love the envelope with aLL kind of treasures!!
I will be back for more :-)
Ciao dear Caterina...

Suzi Smith said...

...or "oh I see..." when they patently don't, lol... or, "so... don't you have a proper job then?"

I'm a khadi fan too... DD, if Cat can't point you in the direction of a supplier nearer to you, try khadi.com The company is uk based, but they will give a price for international shipping if you ask.

Suzi Smith said...

ps... if i don't get back, enjoy your time away x

Yvonne said...

I get that word a lot too....interesting! That's okay, I do art for me and if I happen to make money, that's great, but it is ont the point. Art is so much more than just a hobby or a 'craft'. Artists are special people and only they REALLY understand.

Leslie said...

Gosh, I loved listening to the two conversations here and putting them together with the photos. Nodding and smiling. Yes, it is difficult to understand what we do. I always wish I could describe it better.
Thanks for the glimpses.

Marie Danti said...

Very enjoyable post!There really are two worlds...those that enjoy art and those that don't. I'm glad that I'm one that does even though most people just don't get what I do.

lynne h said...

yes, yes, play... : )

xoxo

Laura Haviland said...

I truly enjoyed a little peek into your beautiful studio,oh so pretty.I loved everything shared and that awesome dress form is so stunning..Thanks for sharing I love your art work. Your so talented...Sending positive thoughts to you.xo

Mostly Turquoise said...

Have a great time with your family, Caterina

Gayle Price said...

Intriguing ! I love to see all your very special little bits and pieces that make up your beautiful art collages. xx

rivergardenstudio said...

i have been away too long, Cat! Seeing your workspace is so much fun, and I love seeing your projects all laid out and ready for your muse to take over.
roxanne

Follow by Email