Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Long Look Back





a new year 

always brings countless possibilities
a chance to look back
at the old year...


to take stock..
and perform a personal inventory..
so that we can 
remember where we came from..
what we learned ...
and what we accomplished...

and move forward fearlessly into new territory

Taos Countryside, detail, Caterina Giglio



movement and change
 is chaotic and at times painful..
but going through old files 
and finding past treasures
is well worth the effort...





Taos Countryside, 9 x 12 Caterina Giglio, colored pencil on pastel paper 


all this work was created several years ago...

most are simple colored pencil drawings...





By the Fence, Caterina Giglio, 22" x 30" mixed media on watercolor paper


I have always had a love affair with drawing...
and taught drawing classes for a while..



Holly Jungle, Caterina Giglio, mixed media (colored pencil, charcoal and pencil)  on paper 22" x 30"


The florals are large, 22" x 30"
as I have said before I like working on a larger scale
and find small work far more challenging...




Detail of Holly Jungle, Caterina Giglio


it feels great to see these
again and to remember what I was dreaming about at the time...




Holly Hocks at Doc's colored pencil on watercolor paper 22" x 30"





I once used color quite liberally ...





Tropicals, Caterina Giglio, 22 x 30 colored pencil




and then I began to mix media and moved on
to portraits..





Aureole, Caterina Giglio, mixed media on pastel paper



and my angel drawings were accepted in a collaborative art show
in Taos..
and my career moved in a totally different direction...


mixed media, 
allowed me to speak a different language... 






Heavenward and Earthward, Caterina Giglio, Mixed media on paper 2003 




and to create more texture in my work
which talks to me in it's own tongue...
and represents all the layers in our lives

in our relationships...


looking at these... 

I know exactly where I want to go..



wishing you all a creative new year..


xo