Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Long Look Back





a new year 

always brings countless possibilities
a chance to look back
at the old year...


to take stock..
and perform a personal inventory..
so that we can 
remember where we came from..
what we learned ...
and what we accomplished...

and move forward fearlessly into new territory

Taos Countryside, detail, Caterina Giglio



movement and change
 is chaotic and at times painful..
but going through old files 
and finding past treasures
is well worth the effort...





Taos Countryside, 9 x 12 Caterina Giglio, colored pencil on pastel paper 


all this work was created several years ago...

most are simple colored pencil drawings...





By the Fence, Caterina Giglio, 22" x 30" mixed media on watercolor paper


I have always had a love affair with drawing...
and taught drawing classes for a while..



Holly Jungle, Caterina Giglio, mixed media (colored pencil, charcoal and pencil)  on paper 22" x 30"


The florals are large, 22" x 30"
as I have said before I like working on a larger scale
and find small work far more challenging...




Detail of Holly Jungle, Caterina Giglio


it feels great to see these
again and to remember what I was dreaming about at the time...




Holly Hocks at Doc's colored pencil on watercolor paper 22" x 30"





I once used color quite liberally ...





Tropicals, Caterina Giglio, 22 x 30 colored pencil




and then I began to mix media and moved on
to portraits..





Aureole, Caterina Giglio, mixed media on pastel paper



and my angel drawings were accepted in a collaborative art show
in Taos..
and my career moved in a totally different direction...


mixed media, 
allowed me to speak a different language... 






Heavenward and Earthward, Caterina Giglio, Mixed media on paper 2003 




and to create more texture in my work
which talks to me in it's own tongue...
and represents all the layers in our lives

in our relationships...


looking at these... 

I know exactly where I want to go..



wishing you all a creative new year..


xo











30 comments:

Judy Martin said...

Thank you so very much for showing us all these glorious works. They communicate such a love of life.

Happy new year to you and the ones you love, and I trust that your art making will help you to find the peace.

Gail Pierce said...

Exquisite! I'm jealous, can't draw at all. xo

A bird in the hand said...

I understand the lure of drawing. Beautiful work.
The Taos drawing reminded me of...Taos, a favourite place of mine.
Happy New Year!

Chris Gray said...

You should give this working an airing more often....its gorgeous!!

Enjoy whatever you decide to do...😊

X. C

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Lovely work Cat. I shall be looking forward to seeing your new work in 2015 wherever your heart takes you. xox

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I cannot believe I missed your lovely post below. How lovely your new home shines in the beauty of Christmas.

I was quite surprised when I read that you used to be so color driven. The pieces you showed were SO uncharacteristic of the work I'm used to seeing the past two or three years. I'm so glad you shared them, though, because wherever your art takes you, I will follow and appreciate.

Most happy new year, dear friend.

Dorthe said...

Fantastic work, dear Caterina , YOUR DRAWINGS ARE AMAZING , and so are your colouring them !! Such beautiful faces, too.
Hugs from Dorthe

Seth said...

Spectacular work. So interesting to be able to reflect upon where we have been, where we are now and where we are going. Thanks for a beautiful and thought provoking post!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Beautiful! I do love hollyhocks. I can see how much your work has changed. Wishing you a creative and joy-filled year. Tammy

Caterina Giglio said...

Judy, thank you so much... that is how I feel, La Dolce Vita... Happy New Year to you and yours.. x

Caterina Giglio said...

Gail, fortunately, you don't have to draw to be an artist... grin .. xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Colette... so glad you recognized the location... it is one of my favorites too.. x

Caterina Giglio said...

Chris, well my family would like it if I would go back to representational work, but we know how artists like to keep moving forward!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, I thought you would like the color, was thinking about you when I posted these! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

E.. thank you, I knew that people would be surprised by the color and we forget that some of us have always been artists. I recently saw a piece of art that I created as a teenager and that was quite amazing, like viewing an old friend! Hope this is a great New Year for you and Bleubeard and Squiggles! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Dorthe, thank you so much... I appreciate that, xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Seth, yes, it is crucial for an artist to look back, ... many thanks to you as always, and Happy New Year..

Caterina Giglio said...

Tammy, I love them too, they are so bold and strong! Thanks for stopping by! Happy New Year!!

Kelly M. said...

Happy 2015 to you, Caterina! Gosh, wish I had your energy; my blog entry today is such a downer compared to yours -- ha, ha!!! I'll try harder -- :-)

Sharmon Davidson said...

It's so amazing to see all these works, so different from what you do now! Thanks for sharing them; they're exquisite! And a happy 2015 to you! xoxo

layers said...

It really is interesting to see your past drawings... and how much color you were into.. .and to see what you are doing now.... what transitions you have been through.

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, I know, it was very interesting to see them again, all copies of the originals now sold long ago. But so fun to see where I was at the time... Happy New year to you too! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Happy New Year, Donna, yes, it was a shock for me too, but fun to see old friends as I pulled them from the boxes... big transitions and I have learned a lot..

Caterina Giglio said...

Kelly.. so good to have you stop by, I will pop over to see you soon.. Happy New Year! xo

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful drawings ... I just love the hollyhocks! I'm intrigued with your look back and now your look to the future ... stay tuned?!!

Sandy said...

Amazingly beautiful work!

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, thank you! my love of plants and gardeners had me doing florals for several years, yes, stay tuned... we will all see what happens!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sandy, so nice to have you stop by,thank you, so happy you like them!

Margie said...

Happy New Year Cat,
All of your works are truly divine!
My goodness, you are so gifted.
xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Margie, so happy to hear from you... thank you, dearhreart and hope your new year is happy too!! xo

Follow by Email