Follow by Email

Friday, June 13, 2014

Ascension Art Book





A is for art and Ascension..
as you know I created this book for
my sister in law, who is dealing with the loss of her
husband, lover and best friend...
who died a little over a year ago..

book making
 is one of my passions...


Ascension, art book, Caterina Giglio



I used an old library book...
6 x 8 1/2"
gutted it, and used the old covers to create a new book
by taping the covers together with book tape..
 stitched the signatures into the new spine,
and then covered it in eco dyed fabric.. 


Feathers

front cover, Ascension, art book, Caterina Giglio 





I used onions to dye both the cover and the pages..




Represent 





to get the splotchy look, I spooned the dye on the paper and let it dry..



Ascension


feather page, from Ascension Art Book, Caterina Giglio




I embellished the pages with freezer paper
which was painted with metallic paints...
I used colored pencils to draw the feathers on Canson art paper
and then stitched them with white thread...





the number three represents a new beginning, from Ascension, Caterina Giglio






the center fold below was stitched on cloth, collaged and the cloth was stitched to
paper  








centerfold feather, from Ascension Art book, Caterina Giglio


hidden beneath the centerfold pages
are the tiny envelopes and this feather...




bleach dyed peacock feather, Ascension Art Book


the peacock feather was bleached...
and then stitched to a collaged piece of fabric...
the ribbon was onion dyed..









this last page was not shown in
Sew Somerset
and sadly, it is 
one of my favorites...

I love the mottled paper and the bold leaf...



Ascension Art Book, leaf drawn and stitched, Caterina Giglio


the back page below...
onion dyed, 
onions seemed the perfect choice..
the do bring tears...









a big thank you
to Stampington 
for publishing this 
project...

I am so very grateful...




xo





23 comments:

lynne h said...

cat, this is beautiful work... soooo lovely, soooo tactile.

xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

thank you so much dear one, that means a lot to me..xoxo

Dorthe said...

This is an amazing journal of love and sorrow, but also of hope.
So beautifully illustrated ,with the many wings of hope for a new flight,and the golden of the sun shining from above for new dayes to start under the warm beams.
It is a wonderful masterpiece my dear Caterina.
Hugs, Dorthe

Caterina Giglio said...

oh Dorthe, you are so right, I wanted Sharon to know that as her husband has ascended, she can soar as well, and that will take the time it takes, but she will know she is loved, deeply. xoxo

A bird in the hand said...

Just beautiful. I have been in Sharon's shoes, so I find it very moving. xo

Margie said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous book made from love...

I love it. xo

Caterina Giglio said...

oh Colette, I am so sorry to hear that. You understand then. I wish I could do something to ease her suffering. Thanks for coming over. x

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Margie, thank you, I wish I had your eloquence for words, but images will have to do, thank you so much! xox

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This book is so touching. As I read and reread your thoughts on this, as well as your various techniques, I was a bit overwhelmed. As someone who has dealt with your fair share of death, you understand the process more than most. As a result, these books you make, including this one, are not just made for the memories and for the personal touches, but for the healing process, too. I'm simply thrilled you shared this with us. And of course, I like the beauty and significance of the onion skin pages, too.

Suzi Smith said...

beautiful… and touching x Loving the onion dye again, and freezer paper? Is that greaseproof paper we have in the uk? No… have just taken a diversion to look it up. (not quite greaseproof or baking parchment for others who don't know it)

Cat, i've read it can be bonded to fabric to act as a carrier for printing… have you tried that? would it work to carry a fine paper through a printer do you think?

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear E, you are so right... Watching him die was very traumatic... I don' t know how non artists deal with their emotions.. It was a way for me to bring peace to my heart.. He was only 50... A great tragedy.. So glad it resonated with you. X

Chris Gray said...

A truly lovely book!

Love the layers of colour and meaning....

x C

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Suzi.. So glad you like it... We used freezer paper to wrap meats before freezing, so it can be purchased in the grocery stores here. Yes it makes a great transfer paper and I have used it. I always put a piece down on my art table when I work and I used some of those pieces in this project. X

Sharmon Davidson said...

Cat, I find this book so touchingly beautiful...Surely it will help your sister-in-law in her healing process. Congratulations, too, on having it published. I especially love the color of the onion-dyed cloth and paper...

Seth said...

A stunning and meaningful book. I imagine it gives your sister in law a lot of comfort.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

beautiful work. i am sure your sister-in-law will cherish the love and meaning youhave put into this...xox

♥RINI♥ said...

Great work Caterina ,love the small pockets .
♥Rini♥

Linda Jo said...

What a wonderful book and gift! Love that you used onions for dying....so perfect. And the feathers are beautiful. Great project!

ArtPropelled said...

A beautiful hearty warming gift. Your sister in law must be very touched.

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, thank you so much! I love the papers too !

Seth, I hope it will comfort her.. That would be so nice.

Thanks Corrine, I hope she likes it...

Rini.. I love them too! <3

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Linda Jo, so happy you like it!

Robyn, thank you, I think she will like it..I hope so..

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

It's totally awesome. So sorry for your SILs loss. Best wishes, Tammy

Linda said...

Oh my goodness what a precious treasure this is Cat.
You put so much thought and love into it.....I imagine your SIL must have been thrilled.
xx