Tuesday, May 26, 2020

The Plague Doctor






seriously..
gentle readers..
in all my born days,
I never thought I would have any use for this
image..


it was archaic, ridiculous and medieval ...


Personal Mixed Media Shrine




I got sick a couple of days after my birthday
in January..
and when I say sick 
I mean I thought I was drowning..
fatigued ..
out of it mentally..
chills came and went..
but the cough
lasted for a good 5 weeks..

it was only later 
that we realized that we had both 
probably had
covid-19..




Mixed Media Shrine


unsuspecting
at the time
we just thought we had had bad colds..


so the idea of creating a shrine
to celebrate 
our health and survival 
seemed quite appropriate.




Personal Mixed Media Shrine


this personal shrine
has a hidden receptacle
as the image is glued to a box top and the bottom
box is adhered to the shrine.
I am collecting small things to represent this year..
and the hardships that we continue to endure.

our death toll increases daily
and people are so divided about what they believe and 
all I can think about 
is that if what I had was
corona virus..

I will gladly spare everyone that 
experience by wearing a mask in public..




Personal Mixed Media Shrine





If you watched the video
 then you know I was still deciding whether to
bead the corsage I gave the plague doctor
and 
in the end I settled on French knots and threads..
and I like the loose threads
and see them representative
of all the unknowns still haunting us 
with this 
virus.



Personal Mixed Media Shrine


I have not made a shrine in years..
 this one honors all the lives lost
and the ones spared..

it marks a personal passage
as well as a collective 
transformation..

and what comes in the near future?
only the plague doctor
knows..



xox