Saturday, November 30, 2019

Minerva Madonna





If I could make the Gallerie 
showing
of my Madonna Roundels..

Someone would invariably ask me..

Why did you create these?
What do they mean to you?

so... 
since I cannot be there,
 I thought I would give you 
the backstory on each piece, starting with my Minerva....



Caterina Giglio, Minerva Madonna detail


Motherhood and Childhood

 First of all, they are Roundels
 to signify that this
union is as eternal as the circle..
 never ending, affecting everyone.

My feelings concerning motherhood and child hood have changed
 over the years..

As many of you know, 
my own mother was an abusive alcoholic and I was infertile.

consequently..
 my art surrounding this issue
has always been loaded with possibilities...

Art and time heal of course...

and what I saw taking shape on my work table was the sweetness
of my relationship to both, childhood and motherhood.
a reverence..
a celebration..
a symbol of unity..


Minerva Madonna
Made herself known to me as I was collaging and gilding lace and fabrics..
if you look closely you will see the word, Minerva which was in an antique Italian article that
I had cut up to use in the rounds. 
Inquiring minds always want to know more...
so...
 I researched the goddess, Minerva 
and found that the...




Caterina Giglio, detail of the Minerva Madonna, hand dyed fabrics and gilt threads.


Basilica of Saint Mary
 was built on the former 
Roman Temple
to the 
Goddess of Wisdom
MINERVA 
in 
Rome.. 

circular .. eternal.. all encompassing..

is the nature of 
Motherhood..





Caterina Giglio, Minerva Madonna Rounde, Mixed Media on Khadi paper.



Minerva Madonna

 is available in the 
link below


"The Goddess in all her manifestations was a symbol of the unity of all life in Nature"
Marija Gimbutas
The Language of the Goddess


Ciao, ciao!