Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Gardening and Concertinas






Gardening in Florida
has been
nothing but
challenging
for me...






The tropicals all died the first year


in the cold...
and so I decided to go with hardier plants..
plants that I knew could tolerate
some chilly weather





The Mexican petunias above are like weeds
and invasive but they are so pretty... 
so I planted them in the pool cage

and in pots where they cannot escape and 
take over the world...


My Veggie garden was almost a complete failure..
my herbs grew well.. but we have very
different seasons here and I would have to 
make raised beds due to the sand, so I am not in a hurry to 
conquer that right now...

but as you know...






Gardens and flowers are always on my mind...
So I created
some concertinas
for the summer issue of 
Sew Somerset...


which will be available 
soon

I just received my copy in the mail
which made my day...









The article includes the instructions to make
my little books..
and thoughts on peering through the garden
to find a treasure ..

to uncover the hidden beauty that lies
just beyond our sight....

and if that wasn't nice enough...
I learned that 
two of my art journal spreads in my


Antique Record Journal 








will be featured 
in Somerset Apprentice...

you can go here to
see the spreads and try to figure out which pages
they chose...











and so I have had some success
with gardening








and as you can see
they seem to like it here...








 Ciao for now
gentle reader..


xo











11 comments:

Gail Pierce said...

As you know, gardens are my thing! love having a peak at yours along with the publications your're in. Scrumptious work as always! xo

Pamela Gerard said...

Oh -- that gardening concertina book -- love it!

Dorthe said...

Your garden is growing beautifully, even not with the plants and flowers you brought with you ,dear Cat. I believe every living thing has its /his place on earth, and that is where it was first planted !! Sometimes we try to move the balance by moving / importing -but many times it is not a succes.
Your most wonderful book, I love, -congratulations again on the publishing, and for the two spreads going to be in Somerset Apprentice, too.

I`m so happy for you, dear friend.
Hugs and kiss ,Dorthe

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's not like me to miss your weekly post, but it seems I'm always busy on Tuesday. Of course, I've had some personal issues, too, like a couple of floods in my basement, and internet concerns.

Your garden concertina book, at least what I can see, is truly incredible. As always you are an inspiration.

It took me five years to figure out what would and would not grow in my garden, so I'm impressed with what you've accomplished already. Your lilies are certainly doing well, but why not. After all, they ARE your namesake.

Deborah Brandt said...

I'm dancing on air right now - I received my copy of Summer 2016 Sew Somerset - way too beautiful! I'm happily pasting and tearing, and trying to decide what kind of fabric for "hinges" - what a delightful project you have shared. Thanks so much for the articles you write, and the art (complete with directions) for people like me who love to make beautiful stuff, but don't have much of an imagination.

Caterina Giglio said...

Yes, I know you are a gardener too dear Gail, so glad you liked the post... xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Pamela, cannot wait for their return so I can share them with you all...

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh Dorthe, you are right about about everything having it's place... I do not know why the stores sell tropicals up here when it gets too cold for them to survive, but I learned an expensive lesson and I will plant more ordinary plants from now on... but with great love... xoxox

Caterina Giglio said...

Ha, you got that right, E, the lily girl should have lilies shouldn't she, I would love more exotic lilies, but right now just concentrating on keeping everything alive the way it is! Glad you liked the book, will share more when they come home... I will pop over to read about your flood, oh nooo! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Deborah,
Thank you so much for your kind comment... I had to quit teaching a few years ago, it was just too much, but I really wanted to keep giving back by inspiring others, so I have consistently contributed to Stampington so that I can reach many with less effort... all the way around. Enjoy and have fun with it, glad you are having fun... x

Sharmon Davidson said...

Yes, when I was in Florida I noticed that the plants were very different; they seemed so gorgeous and exotic to me. I have never seen Mexican petunias - they're beautiful! Congrats on having your work published in Sew Somerset and Somerset Apprentice. I'm still looking for a copy; one more bookstore to try and then if they don't have it I will order it online!

Follow by Email