Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A Year of Visual Journaling



In

  2013
I purchased this beautiful
blank, and pristine 
Record Book...

since it was in perfect shape, 
I decided that I could fit 
a couple of years worth of spreads 
between the covers..





detail of front cover art journal, Caterina Giglio

and so this is the journal that I have been working on
each month...
finished 
finally...



I had originally thought I would paint
a scene on the black front cover ...
primarily because it was paint splattered and I thought too messy
to leave flat black, 
but most of the spots cleared up with a cleaning...
and I decided I liked the 
classic black and red...



Antique record journal, 2013-2015 art journal, Caterina Giglio

 I had the stencils in my stash and 
they seemed to sum up the 
journey of the last few years..
quite well...

I also loved the black paint, left
on the stencils that 
mirrored the layers inside... 





ingredients: watercolor, French paper ephemera, personal photo, pencil and ink...

January 2015 Self Portrait, Caterina Giglio



My annual self portrait above and below
my love letter to myself...
you will be seeing the new 2016 versions soon enough...

keeping traditions is so important,
in life as well as work..
for me, anyway....


ingredients: acrylic paints, lumiere paint, old photo mat, antique ephemera, lace, paint pens, chalk paint 





Ingredients: acrylic paint, gesso, paper ephemera, transparency, pencil, ink, walnut ink...




ingredients: copy from old photos, paper ephemera, black gesso, china marker, tissue paper, thread, pencil...




ingredients: personal photos used for transfers on paper, pencil, acrylic paint, paper ephemera, wrapping papers, ink..






ingredients: transfers on paper with gesso, paper ephemera, pencil, acrylic paint, grey paint pen...





ingredients: gesso, acrylic paint, various papers, pencil, stencils on tissue paper..




ingredients: gesso, acrylic paint, paper ephemera, personal drawings and family photos used as transfers, tissue papers and wrapping paper..





ingredients: gesso, paint, ripped papers, antique paper ephemera, old photo frame, drawing, marbled papers, torn cardboard, pencil...




ingredients: gesso, acrylic paint, drawing on tracing papers, paint pens, pencil..





ingredients: acrylic paint, gesso, pencil, paint pens, drawing on antique parchment paper, paper ephemera, pencil, ink..





ingredients: gesso, acrylic paint, paper ephemera, tissue papers, old prints, pencil, pen and wrapping papers...




Seeing all the spreads together brings back so many memories...
each month is so different and I have a visual record of not only what happened.. but how I felt about it...

death,
life,
journeys,
reunions,
and love...
always love...


xo

37 comments:

Dorthe said...

Yes dear Cat,...always love, if we open up ,we will find love everywhere, in big and in small, it is there, if we are able to reach for it, receive it and give it back. And you gives it back, so beautifully through your 2015 journal pages. They are so very beautiful, all different, but holding love and heart all!!! Thank you for showing dear friend. XOxoxo

A bird in the hand said...

Beautifully done, and I know it must give you such a sense of satisfaction.

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Dorthe, thank you so much dear friend, and I appreciate you so much, your kind support and constant comments... mean so much to me! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Colette,
It does give me a sense of accomplishment and great satisfaction. It is so highly personal and spiritual... very rewarding... x

Patti said...

Love, love, love these pages. So original, as always xo

Lynda Howells said...

love your pages ...wish mine were so clean and organised xx

Zom Osborne said...

Beautiful Caterina. i love the different moods. I am especially touched by April and November.

Corrine at corrinegilman.com said...

Love seeing it all together. Lovely. April and November, like Zom said, fabulous. xox

Gail Pierce said...

kudos! I swoon when I see your work, I can only imagine what it would be like to see this journal in person. xo

janet said...

Very beautiful and very inspiring. 🌿❤️🌿

lynne h said...

sooooo beautiful, cat...

xoxo

Miss Iowa said...

Thank you for sharing your journal pages! It inspires me to get over my fear and finally start creating in the journal I bought for 2015 -- which is still completely blank. :)

Caterina Giglio said...

Patti, thank you! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Lynda, thanks so much glad you like them and we cannot compare, journaling in itself is a huge accomplishment... x

Caterina Giglio said...

Zom, thank you, that means so much to me, and those are two of my favorites as well... x

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, my favorites as well! Thanks so much!! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Gail, I would love for you to page thru all the journals, it is so fun to see what others gravitate to.. and then there is the touch factor!! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Janet, thank you so much for your kind words and your visit!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Lynne, thank you so much, means a lot to me dear one... xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Dear Miss Iowa,
Please go fearlessly into your studio and create in that journal... you cannot make a mistake, and and if you do, there is always gesso!! thanks for stopping by and leaving such kind comments... and when you do fill that journal, please make sure I see it!!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

So fun and interesting to see the mood morgue and change with the months. Certainly an inspiring body of work, Happiest ever of new years and creative spirit!

ox

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Life...balancing all of life's journeys on these pages. Well done Caterina!

Seth said...

What a treasure Cat. Loving the cover and the inside spreads. How wonderful to have this to look back upon in years to come.

Pallas said...

Your journal is beautiful.

Caterina Giglio said...

Jayne, you are so right, I thought the same thing... it does morph from month to month... deaths do that.. I guess... and tragedies... thanks for popping over!

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, thank you so much, that means a lot to me... :D

Caterina Giglio said...

Seth, thank you so much! : D

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks, Pallas!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was gone by the time this beauty went live, so I am in awe of how different each spread is. I really like how you used the X and O for the front cover, and kept the rest intact. It is a real beauty.

I can remember all of these and now seeing them all together makes it even more special and amazing. What a beautiful visual journal to come home to.

artistsjournal said...

Caterina, thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your kind comments. I've added your blog to my links. What a visual feast it is!

Suzanne Wohlfeld said...

Wow! How gorgeous and to see it all together! You have inspired me and I have started my own art journal this year. Thank you so much for sharing. I like how every page is so unique!

Caterina Giglio said...

E, it is truly amazing to see them all together, kind of overwhelming for me to see my year like this, quite a lot happens in a year, and keeping track of it all seems to validate it somehow.. glad you enjoyed viewing it all together and the xo... x

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Martha, thank you for the addition of my blog on your site, it is most appreciated! Thank you!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Suzanne, thank you so much and I am gratified to know that you are inspired to journal... brava!

ELFI said...

un magnifique ouvrage, arrêter les jours qui défilent...j'aimerai aussi avoir cette constance de poser jour après jour une feuille de ma vie...

Pamela Gerard said...

Oh! Feasting my eyes -- so lovely. Love that July 2015 spread (among others) and love that you used an old ledger......very, very nice.

suziqu's thread works said...

The whole journal from the front page to every spread is totally beautiful and inspiring to all of us who read and appreciate the hours of dedicated work that have gone into it.
Congratulations for bringing it altogether from the bottom of your heart to share.
A book to be treasured for years to come.
xx Suzy

Follow by Email