Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Hand Stitched Mini Concertina




First off, let me thank you all
for your wonderful and heartfelt comments
on my 
April pages..
your support and friendship means so much
to me.
I was astounded to learn that so many of you had similar experiences
with a parent..
and I was truly gratified to have shared a part of
my story with you...



This book project is related to that post
the continuing work on that relationship...
which even in death continues..


Sometime ago, 
I was asked to consider 
sending a book to a show
in 
Canada..







so several months ago
I began this concertina..
 you might remember 
it as this WIP








since then, it has taken shape..






the pages are collaged..
papered with French pages..
painted three times
and printed with very old rub-ons

If you have ever used them, you know
that as they age they have a tendency to disintegrate...







and I liked that...
it suited my purposes..




I wanted the writing to be
unintelligible..

more gibberish,
less substance..

as I worked on it, 
the title came to me..


Conversations With My Mother..

loose threads dangling may need to be waxed..
and I have also hand lettered pieces that are cut out waiting 
to be used...








the hinges are antique ribbon..
and I adore the way that the light filters through them

being able to see through
to the truth is important, I think....


It is still a work in progress..
but close to finished...
I am hand stitching a bag for it to ride safely
to Canada..


and I will share the finished
piece with you all
soon...



ciao, ciao!

21 comments:

Pamela Gerard said...

Cat -- that is just simply a beautiful book. I wish I could see it in person. Just lovely.

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Pamela, I am delighted that you like it so..

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Lovely for sure...congratulations on showing in Canada. I don't know about rub-ons but it all looks good to me!
I still have conversations with my mother and I'm amazed at how kinder I am in my memories.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an honor to be invited to participate in a Canadian show. Now you are truly an internationally recognized artist.

This is an incredible WIP and an amazing way to have that conversation with your mother.

I have indeed experienced the problem with rub-ons, and I so appreciate that you brought that to my attention, because I had NO idea why mine didn't look good after I had them a few years.

I can't wait to see the finished project. BTW, I simply LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those scissors!

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Je ne suis pas très présente en ce moment sur les blogs...
Je suis sincèrement désolée pour votre maman. Je vous présente toutes mes condoléances.


Je suis sous le charme de cette belle création. Toutes mes félicitations pour ce projet qui s'annonce.

Gros bisous ♡

Dorthe said...

Dearest Cat,
thank you for your explanation on fb- I can see here, how beautiful all your layers looks and the beauty of almost covering up the pages. The words lost or never spoken fully, the threads dangling with no end-or connection , your hard and lonely life with( out ) your mother, whom was not there for you. !
You have so amazingly told that story, without words, it is stunning, and I look forward seeing it when all finished.
Hugs from Dorthe

Sharmon Davidson said...

This piece is wonderful so far... such a sense of long passages of time, with words hidden and revealed, which is an integral part of our human relationships. your work is always so expressive, and this one is truly a perfect example of your ability to say so much without words. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Corrine at corrinegilman.com said...

It is such a perfect representation of all those gray areas of conversation with hidden meanings and incomplete substance. I love the idea of all the layers represented here. Congrats on being invited to the show. xox

ELFI said...

un tout beau travail..et j'aime ces papillons... nostalgie et tristesse..
courage..

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Mary Ann, my conversations will stop I think.... but for now they are very healing.. thank you..

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi E! those tiny scissors are great for snipping threads.. thank you so much, this project means a lot to me and has certainly been instrumental in healing unhealed spaces.. as far as an International Artist goes, LOL not sure if I am all that!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Bonjour MartineAlison, et merci de l'arrêt par , même si vous n'êtes pas très actif sur les blogs en ​​ce moment. Cela signifie tellement pour moi que vous avez pris le temps de commenter . Je vous remercie de tout mon cœur ... baisers de nouveau à vous !

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh Dorthe, thank you so much for you kind understanding. I imagine that those of you who had loving and wonderful Mothers feel the worst for me, knowing what I did not experience. I so appreciate your loving understanding.. thank you for your interest in the little book, sending hugs back to you! xxxxxxx

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sharmon, yes, I am happy with it so far, and have so many decisions to make about it, but I think it is going to be very simple, thanks for the kind words and encouragement... always! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you, Corrine, that means a lot to me and yes, you got it and thanks, hope I get into the show!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Bon Jour,
Je vous remercie elfi , je vous remercie de vos mots afin ..

donna joy said...

such emotion without words.
just beautiful~

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Donna Joy, I so appreciate that....

Laura said...

This is beautiful Cat… the fading images are powerful, speaking volumes in whispers.

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you, Laura, I so appreciate that! xo

Jacki Long said...

Really Wonderful Caterina!
You are consistently inspiring!

Follow by Email