Follow by Email

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Le Jardin D' Hiver




While my work on the 

Winter Garden collection
continues..
I wanted to share the finished pieces...




13 Fevrier, Italian Collage, Le Jardin D' Hiver, Caterina Giglio 2015 

the piece above is a complete 
piece of Italian Collage, meaning that the entire piece has been
collaged in the press..
I shared the flower detail in the last post, scroll down to see what it looked like
before it was incorporated in the entire work




I am at work as you read this, framing the series..








Detail from Les Memoires, Le Jardin D' Hiver, French Paper Series, Caterina Giglio 2015






Les Mémoires, Le Jardin D' Hiver, The French Paper Series, Caterina Giglio, 2015




Last year I chose grey wood frames,
but my favorite is  a simple
black frame ..
like an LBD..
just so classic..









Detail from Meadow Flowers, Caterina Giglio 



Meadow Flowers was featured in the last post as well..
and it has a large piece of 
antique French Patisserie paper lace
at the top, which molded into the paper when pressed..








I love the way the layers
combine so smoothly and yet reveal the different textures..

allowing the image to move from background to foreground ..



Close up of Les Details, Caterina Giglio


My medallions piece is titled
Les Details 




to create this piece I made several small drawings of roses, buds, rose hips and meadow flowers and then incorporated those scraps in the Italian collage..


when I achieved the frosted look I wanted, I cut them 
to make little circles 
which reminded me of the circle of life..




Les Details, Le Jardin D' Hiver, French Paper Series, Caterina Giglio 2015




La Petite, Le Jardin D' Hiver, French Paper Series, Caterina Giglio 2015



the piece below, 
Paris Frost
was a WIP  in progress on the post below..
I added the French Manuscript
and the vintage black needle papers..







Midwinter is approaching and several of my friends and family are facing
difficult times..
it seems that winter often harbors the opportunity to overcome challenges ...

the people I love often influence my work,...








my vision of the Winter Garden
is not simply the beautiful death of the garden


stunning though it is....

but 
of the hope
of spring

the 
certainty that 
spring arrives
and challenges
will be overcome...




xo

34 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Just spectacular. Love Les Details!!!! xox

Gayle Price said...

Soft, delicate and very beautiful.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I can feel good thoughts and prayers are layered and pressed...as you say, Spring will arrive and challenges will be overcome...beautiful work Caterina.

Miss Iowa said...

This is a beautiful series.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm in awe of this series, Cat. I really must try your pressing method, because the layers and layers meld together so well. This is very impressive, and I'm truly in awe. AWE! BTW, I adore the black frames. They work well with this series.

Mostly Turquoise said...

Beautiful work and post, Caterina, thank you!

Dorthe said...

Oh Caterina, your words always touch my heart, dear friend, and I so hope your friends and family will overvome their challenges, and you, with them, too.
Such beautiful art, it is amazing what happens when you use the press.. with your lovely drawings together with wonderful papers of all kind !!
Hug to you, sweet friend !!
Dorthe

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, thanks so much, I love it too! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Gayle, thank you! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, you are so right, sandwiched between the layers are prayers and love..

Caterina Giglio said...

Hello, Miss Iowa, thank you kindly!

Caterina Giglio said...

oh E, I am so glad you like the series, and I think the black frames really set them off, I tried other colors, but as they say, went back to black!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Regina, most kind! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Dorthe, it is amazing what the human spirit can endure, but it is harder I think to watch those we love suffer so terribly. Thank you dear heart! xoxo

layers said...

Such soft, lovely layering of papers and images... looks like a wonderful series of collages.

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you, Donna...

~*~Patty S said...

Beautiful collection you've created Cat and your LBD frames are perfect too.
It is such an interesting step to put your lovely collages through the press melding them together.
Happy weekend to you and your sweetie
oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Ah, Thank you Patty dear! It is not easy to press the whole thing and I have the callous to prove it! Happy weekend back to you and Mr. Magpie!! xoxo

ELFI said...

un beau travail ...et une belle présentation!

Martha Marshall said...

Your work is beautiful and inspiring! I love what you do with subtle color.

tgarrett said...

This is such a lovely series!

Martin said...

Wonderful series!

Gail Pierce said...

Splenderfulicious! As usual your work is such a joy . . . xoxo

Denise Spillane said...

Beautiful!

Anne Philipson said...

Just beautiful! Delicate, imaginative & I love the textures.

Sylvia Ballerini Jewellery said...

Beautiful work Cat. My favourite is 13 Fevrier, Italian Collage, Le Jardin D' Hiver, Caterina Giglio 2015

Caterina Giglio said...

ELFI, Merci beaucoup!

Caterina Giglio said...

Martha, thank you, and thanks for stopping by!

Caterina Giglio said...

Terry, thanks so much and thanks for popping over to the Sweet Life! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you .. Martin!

Caterina Giglio said...

Awww, thank you Gail, so sweet of you!! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you, Denise!

Caterina Giglio said...

What a nice thing to say, thank you, Anne!

Caterina Giglio said...

February 13 is a favorite of mine as well, thank you, Sylvia!