Tuesday, November 4, 2014

October Journal Pages






finally back on track..
with journaling at least...

October art journal pages came together..

after much writing..









journaling straight on the page, 
covering with gesso, paint and paper ...
and then writing again on the top layer..

writing about direction and content..
I had a wonderful skype art date with a dear friend ...
and we discussed the concern we have about being pigeon-holed 
as an artist..
being locked into a style, or a medium ...
and how that is artistic suffocation...
  






so all of those thoughts went directly onto the page...
dear reader..

about
a desire to be able to try new products, new methods and to change direction
on a whim of creative fancy...
certainly we all want that..




don't we?







can we really be fulfilled if we..
Paint the same faces...
make the same collages?
or sculpt the same dolls?






art must be fluid, like currency...
moving and changing, growing and expanding...






ingredients: gesso, acrylic paint, pen, pencil, paper, water color pencils (Derwent) transfer, original photo, stencils, paper ephemera, ink.






Believe it or not,
I am off again...
another trip to the Caribbean... 
you would think I have seen all the islands by now, but 
fortunately... 
I have not...


I am taking a journal
with me and traveling light with water color pencils and travel brushes..

looking forward to the color blue..


and sharing it all with YOU..



xo

17 comments:

Sharmon Davidson said...

Your October pages are wonderful, as always, and of course I love the big beautiful tree in the center... Hope you have a great time on your trip! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, thank you! I like the tree too, ...expansion!!!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I agree with you completely on the subject of following your own artistic pulls. Lately I've been drawn back to my boxes as I think I have something new to say and it can't be said any other way. Funny how that is but there is also the 'danger' of leaving what has been well received. There is also the concept of staying with a direction and it will lead you into a new place. Both work for me. I love this tree sitting in the middle of all these words and landscape. Enjoy your 'blue' travels!

martinealison said...

Bonsoir,

L'arbre de la vie... Belle oeuvre.

Gros bisous ☂

Laura said...

Beautiful Cat… may we all continue to grow and change with the flow of each breath, each moment. I do hope you'll send me a quick "patch" of words for this year's Gratitude Quilt… before you are off traveling again:-)

Caterina Giglio said...

Ah, Mary Ann, the "danger" of leaving what has been well received ... you put that so well.. so true.. but we do have to follow our muse..

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I fear I have missed you and you are now off on your travels. But I'm sure you will have lots to show us when you return.

I've often criticized "big name" people like Tim Holtz, whose work all looks the same to me, and Claudine Helmuth whose poppets ran their course about six weeks after they were introduced. But their art and their offshoots (products) sell so well, they obviously don't need to change.

I like the idea of using collage and found object fodder that no one else has access to. That's one reason why your art always speaks to me. It doesn't matter what direction you take in the future, you know I'll be there to cheer you on. As long as you don't suddenly start using all those Tim Holtz embellishments, that is (grin).

Hope your vacation is fun, relaxing, and SAFE.

Dorthe said...

I love this spread dear Caterina, a tree sending out its wisdom, in foggy bubbles drifting along untill someone absorbs them, and live on with those wice words and ideas !!So beautiful, and your thoughts about art and not getting stocked in same mediums, and way of expressing oneself, so right ...and difficult sometimes !!
I wish you a beautiful new tour to your favorite vacation place, my dear.
Hugs from Dorthe

Caterina Giglio said...

Oui , l'arbre immense , de plus en plus sans restrictions ! embrasse de nouveau à vous !


Dear Laura, if I can get to it when I return, I would love to send you a few thankful words! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

E... I am still here to pick up your sweet message.. I meant only for myself and how I want to move and grow and change. I know that others like familiarity and that is fine, but it would stifle me... So happy that you are willing to take that experimental journey with me dearhreart! Big X to you!

Caterina Giglio said...

Yes, Dorthe, "So right and difficult" sometimes.. that is true, but we must be authentic to our muse.. mustn't we?
xxoo

Lisa DiNunzio said...

YES!
to everything

and

{have a wondrous interlude Cat}
Xo

Seth said...

Well said Cat. Enjoy your travels...and the journaling along the way.

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

A very beautiful pages Caterina, love the colors.
Anni

rivergardenstudio said...

Have a wondrous trip across the ocean! I love your tree and these new pages.
roxanne

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Lisa! Xoxox


Thanks Seth, it was lovely..

Caterina Giglio said...

Anni! thank you!

I love the tree too.. Thanks Roxanne! Xo

Follow by Email