Saturday, September 27, 2014

Secret Gardens




so, gentle reader...

we took a little detour
on our way back home from Oklahoma
visiting our family...
and stopped 
for the afternoon in
New Orleans...






I adored this fence, rusty, thick and chunky Fleurs, what is not to love about that?





it was a destination that I had always wanted to see...

Mr. La Dolce Vita had been there on business and promised to take me one day..
knowing that I am lover of crumbling splendor
and aged places..





Chained shut and definitely overgrown...



of antiques and good food...
it was a perfect little side trip...









I had imagined New Orleans as a 
romantic city of French Creole, filigree wrought iron balconies...

and of course there is that, and though I did shoot a few of those...




St. Louis Cathedral  in the French Quarter... spectacular old worlde architecture...




what really captured my curiosity were all the private gardens...
with fountains and lush with exotic plants and flowers...




Charming antique store with a lovely courtyard..




they beckon.. 
invite, and who can resist the notion
 of a 
secret garden?









living inside...
out...








sitting in the sun each morning with a cafe au lait?








Hurricane Katrina left her mark for sure, 
but the French Quarter was spared..
not unharmed 
but not completely devastated either...
there is a lot of new building and many businesses are 
still rebuilding but it is ever gorgeous...








and life will not be stopped...
it squirts from cracks in stones and takes over gardens...







I felt at home there,
the city of Fleur De Lys
in fact I was wearing my fleur charm as we
drove into town...






there were less tourists 
since we visited on a weekday..
and the weather was spectacular...

sunny and bright, but the sting removed from the sun
as summer gives way to fall, even here in the south...







and as a tree lover, I was stunned by the size and majesty of the 
Live Oaks...
sheltering and far reaching..









but ....dear reader, 
the secret gardens won my heart...

they are my one weakness...

wink..




xo




17 comments:

maya matthew said...

New Orleans is magical. I loved the time we spent there.Thank you for sharing the pictures of the secret gardens.

Laura said...

BEautiful Cat!

Seth said...

Having never been there myself, I always enjoy people's photos of what looks like a very unique and magical place. Thanks for sharing!

Dorthe said...

Those sekret gardens ,looks like something from a movie, that I would love to be part in.. how special and soooo green to see, --I would love to take that cafe au lait, with you, in one of them !!
No, not anything to see on these photoes from that terrible hurricane, that spoiled so many other areas there, Caterina,-
I am happy to hear that New Orleans are rebuilding and becoming new ,where the old was spoiled.
What a wonderful place to experience, dear.
Hugs from Dorthe

Jo Murray said...

It is a blessing that much was spared, and your pics have made my day. New Orleans is definitely on my wishlist.

Caterina Giglio said...

Maya! So nice to know you love it too! Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks Laura! So happy you enjoyed it!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Seth, you will love it, a very magical place..

Dorthe, a cafe au laite would be wonderful.. And yes, many shops and restaurants are coming back. We saw other towns that are still struggling, but New Orleans is surely blessed!! XXOO

Caterina Giglio said...

Jo, it is an amazing city, such age and texture, you will love it! And we would certainly have to link up!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oklahoma is SO close to where I live. Too bad we couldn't meet up.

Your photos brought back a wave of memories of when I visited New Orleans, pre-Katrina, of course. I, too was drawn by the gardens behind gates that simply begged you to peep into.

I also miss the large homes on the outskirts of town that I'm sure are either no longer there, or boarded up. I SO enjoyed seeing NO through your eyes and your camera lens. It was magical and fun.

Linda Jo said...

Glad you got to go! I haven't been since Katrina hit. It's still lovely around the Quarter.

Sharmon Davidson said...

Yes, my favorite part of New Orleans is also all those little courtyard gardens... The garden district is even better than the French Quarter... Thanks for sharing your lovely photos!xo

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

The pocket gardens are so charming. Love those ferns growing out of the brick wall. Thanks for the lovely tours. xox

Caterina Giglio said...

E, we always have such a tight schedule visiting family.. Glad that my photos brought you some memories.. Would love to see those big plantation homes.. One day!! X

Caterina Giglio said...

Linda, it is beautiful in the quarter and you would be surprised by all the building! X

Great minds are attracted to the same things, Sharmon.. Glad you liked the pics! X

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine.. I a so glad you liked that photo.. It is one of my favorites too.. Xox

~*~Patty S said...

How lovely that you got to visit...it is on my bucket list too.
Thank you for sharing a peek into your time there!
oxo

india flint said...

i love New Orleans and have been a regular there since 1983. these days i keep a bicycle there as well. the people and the gardens and the music and the food and the scent of magnolia, ginger and sweet olive make it the most magical place

Follow by Email