Follow by Email

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

ruffled edges







when we have a permanent home..
dear reader..
there will be 
organization in the studio...





there will be filing cabinets..
where images and photo copies will live...
and plastic boxes with labels on the side that read... HANDMADE PAPER,
ANTIQUE IMAGES  and PATTERNS AND MARKS...

but for now
I contend with a couple of small boxes and the bricolage on
my table to use for collage...





Are the Stars out Tonight?  6 x 6 on 11 x 14 Bristol Board



you know I cannot keep my hands out of the paper stash...
and it seems away from the thread... and needle...










why not stitch up the tears in the paper with a little thread?






I have been using a couple of old books
imagining who read those books and what thoughts they had
while reading...

as I place the papers and use archival glue, I hope that my work
lasts as long... as the books with marginal notes and
and dog eared pages...




Stitching up the Sky, 6 x 6 on 11 x 14 Bristol board


I am in love with Bristol board again...
not that I don't love Khadi paper, I do.. but Bristol will really take a beating..
and only curls slightly...
a definite plus when working with different media..






I have also been experimenting with ironing 
work to make it lie flat...




Ruffled Edges, 6 x 6 on 11x 14 Bristol Board


warm and steamy has the best effect...
between cloth of course..







Martha M. Wood  owned this book ... the works of Coleridge
it was a gift from James.. in 1895..

we are so connected to the book, to the paper, to the stories, to the relationships...
our lives are made of papers..






and as I ponder them, I put the stories of my life 
onto paper, and stitch the sky together again...







and wonder if it is possible to feel even more love than I do...






I am also working on my journal pages...
stitching more stories together and hope to have them for you on Friday..

but we will see...
anything can happen in the studio..




ciao!




22 comments:

Marilyn J. Rock said...

The possibilities are endless for us right? Always love your compositions and designs! I feel the love! xo

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

"Stitching Up The Sky" is so beautiful!

Caterina Giglio said...

Marilyn, yes.. Endless possibilities.. And it feels so grand!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you, Mary Ann.. I appreciate your kind words..

Marie Danti said...

Beautiful post and work. Love the stitches. I have so much paper stash, I may try one of these. Wish we could make one together!

Analia Cristina said...

Un bellissimo lavoro di collage,le cuciture sono molto carine!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Your stitch always makes the collage, great selection of paper! xox

Jo Murray said...

How wonderful to produce collages with such a history in the paper. Love your work Caterina.

Caterina Giglio said...

Marie!! How fun would that be? Sometime maybe when I come home for a visit!

Grazie, Analia Cristina!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Corrine!

Hi Jo! I always use old papers.. They just call to me.. So glad you like them.. Hope your Autumn is beautiful!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Cat, I love those old book pages, and using thread to stitch up the tears - wonderful! I, too, like to imagine the lives and stories of those who read the books so long ago...

What is khadi paper? Have you ever tried multi-media art board from Dick Blick? It is similar to bristol board, but does not warp at all. I find it great for collage.

Patti said...

Ahhh, such incredible work - what was that hammock metaphor you used in your comment on my post? How true. I appreciate you!
xo

ArtPropelled said...

Loving these new pieces!

Chris Gray said...

Just beautiful!!

x C

Mirjana Novak Cesar said...

Beautiful collages, nice new pieces!

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, no I rarely place a Blick order and then it is usually for cradled boards, but the next time I do, I will be sure to get the multi media paper. Khadi paper is a paper made from recycled cotton rag. It is very easy to stitch, but I find it tends to disintegrate with water. Thanks for stopping by, I will by by your place soon!

Caterina Giglio said...

Patti, dear, I don't remember a hammock quote... hope you liked it!! xoxo

Thanks Robyn, and thanks for stopping by!

Hey Chris, thank you so much!

Caterina Giglio said...

Mirjana, thank you so much!!

Dorthe said...

Dear Cat,so much goes through your hands, and so many beautiful results are finished with love and happy thoughts of this and that,- papers of all kind are wonderful, and so is those artpieces !
Hugs,Dorthe

ELFI said...

très belle composition!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you dearest Dorthe!

Grazie, Elfi!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh dear Cat, you find the most AMAZING papers. All my old books are school books. Not the history yours show. These are truly lovely, and of course, I like the tip on steaming the pages flat. How authentic and refreshing!