Follow by Email

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

circles






so in the middle of painting water...
dear reader..
I stopped for a break to make onion papers...
and sat down with a cuppa 
to peruse an old French book...




and before I knew it
I had tiny scissors in my hand and I began cutting circles...









that ended up in
some new pieces in
the French Paper Series 









I used watercolor papers...
as my substrate






pencil, pastel, and vintage and antique ephemera






and I will be putting them in the shop..






and speaking of the shop
check it out here








I have cleaned it up
retired several pieces and
created room for 
commissioned portraits...








what's up with all the circles?
he asked...
hhmmm..

I could tell him that they represent the eternality of life...
the wedding ring is the symbol of connection.. linking us together..
of the ripples that start in the middle of the lake and fan out until they touch all sides..
or how the circle is represented by the seasons of the year.. cyclical
the phases of the moon ...
or the sun that must be up there somewhere...









I think of the circle as a power symbol that
is locked inside our very dna..
but I wasn't THINKING when I sat down and began cutting...
I was just playing..


so instead... 
I think I will just say
that cuticle scissors cut the best circles...
and aren't they cool?




C4N..


18 comments:

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Go with the flow, lovely wonky circles, the best kind. xox

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful array of circles! I like the ability to read a little french word here and there.
I have also been working with circles...great discovery process!

Linda said...

I really, really like these Cat.... such great composition. And those circles....how serendipitous! xx

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Great design and composition! Love the circles! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

thanks Corrine.. yes it is flowing in the studio!

thank you Mary Ann, nice to hear that you have been affected by the circle as well.. can't wait to see!

thanks Linda, so happy you like them...

~*~Patty S said...

round and round you went and I L♥ve it!

there is an Indian quote that goes something like...everything wants to be a circle (wish I could remember the whole thing doh!)

great idea about the curved cuticle scissors too...

I am taking Misty Mawn's FULL CIRCLE online workshop so circles have been much on my mind too...

are you ready for more snow Missy or maybe not this time...
oxo

sharon said...

very cool circles, I adore them! They are eternal, my favorite!

Lorraine Renaud said...

I love what you've done I had one at one point using French poetry, don't what i did with it, but yours are so full of meaning and elegance. wow bravo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your new series using circles is awesome. I like these because they have lots of color, something I don't often see in your art. Don't get me wrong, I always love your subtle colors, but these bold colors are SO NOT YOU, yet they seem to work perfectly for you.

I almost asked you to look for an article I couldn't find in a Sew Somerset magazine. I had looked everywhere for it and couldn't find the specific magazine. Just as I was about to give up and see if you could find it, I found the magazine and the article, which was in the Summer, 2013 edition. Ironically, it was the one right before yours (grin). Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, so I'm back to the drawing board. At least I don't have to spend time trying to find it anymore and can now figure out a pattern on my own.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

BTW, I'm putting cuticle scissors on my wish list. I need them for fussy cuts, too.

Jo Murray said...

Love what you've done with these images. Subtle and full of hidden meaning.

Margie said...

Oh, how wonderful.
Love this work, Cat.

Margie
xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Patty, I just heard about the workshop.. So you are all making circles? Was hoping for a rain event.. And we got it.. But right after the snow! Not bad really! Xox


Glad you like them Sharon! Xx

Thank you, Lorraine and thanks for stopping by the Sweet Life!

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh E! They look less intense in person.. I used auto enhance so the color brightened up.. They are more sedate in person.. You know how I adore Mormon chroma! But they are more colorful than usual.. Due to the pastels! Glad you liked them and you found the Sew issue you wanted! X

Lorraine Renaud said...

Grazie to you dear Caterina you've awaken my desire for art again I owe u xx

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Jo, thanks for the kind words! so glad you liked them!

Hi Margie, thank you .. hope you are doing well.. xxoo

Sharmon Davidson said...

I like these new collages, Cat, and how the watercolors seem to be working into them a bit... Circles are profound, and always seem to unify a composition, to me. Beautiful work!

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, thanks so much, I agree, the circle rules!!