Friday, September 7, 2012

travel the world









ciao...
well as you can see, I have been busy in my studio,
working on new pieces for 
and 
making a little travel journal
for my upcoming 
Caribbean journey... 








so while I was at it, I thought that I would show you how I made it..
since I knew you would have questions...
it is very simple..
I am too dyslexic for coptic stitches or anything very complicated...
sometimes simple is best
especially when one is in a hurry...








so I began with a tiny book measuring 4 x 6
and gutted it..









then I made my signatures
or pages for new book makers...
from khadi papers, sketch, watercolor papers and handmade papers...






I ripped a piece of cotton muslin that just fit the inside of the book






and stitched my signatures into the cloth
I used pencil marks to show me where to stitch





then I used PVA to glue the cloth down to the inside of the book






to cover the book, I chose Tyvek and upcycled an old Fed Ex
envelope






this is what the book looked like once the cover was on
and at this point I used paisley papers on the inside covers...







then I used walnut ink to stain the Tyvek cover
and eventually I decided to mix acrylic paint with the walnut ink...
using raw umber and yellow ochre together..
I wanted it to look like old leather...
and in the end I sanded the edges... and sealed it with workable fixatif..
the shell on the front was an old piece of metal I found in a box of buttons..
and I rusted it using a mixture of Miracle Grow Plant food
and water...





I added vellum to the front and back...





and had fun embellishing..




in fact I had to stop myself or I would have painted and stained all the pages...
I need to save it for the trip... I know I will have lots to write about...






above...
I made several Italian Collages to use for the journal
on the front cover and on pages...






I added a glassine envelope to fill with the flotsam and jetsam of 
the journey..






So off we go, and I will take lots of photos
to show you upon return...
and of course I will have a journal stuffed with my adventures to show you...
I have my art bag filled with glue sticks, water color pencils, water  brushes, papers, pens and pencils...  

I hope you
enjoy the changing season...
it will be fall here when I return, or "leaf season" as I think of it  here in the forest...

grazie! dear readers, for stopping by..
I will be taking a short break while we are off at sea...

C4N!











19 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

Cat..... that process is so very cool!! Looks like a ton of work but well worth the end result!! Beautiful!! Btw..... my dog is listening to your bird background and he is barking up a storm....LOL

Anni - Fabric and Mixed Media Art said...

Catarina,your journal looks fantastic, love that you used different kind of paper for the signatures, thanks for sharing how you made it, enjoy your Caribbean journey.
Anni

kimmie said...

wow! thank you so much for taking the time to show us how you made it! That looks do-able to me :)

Enjoy your trip !!!!

Suzi Smith said...

heheh, whoever thought of using miracle grow to grow a book??!!
It's so gorgeous & thankyou for showing the steps.
have a wonderful trip xo

Tammy said...

I love your journal book. It is already fabulous as is with all those wonderful papers and the gorgeous cover, but I know it will be even more incredible once you fill it with treasures from your travels. Have a great trip. Tammy

~*~Patty S said...

such a lovely travel journal dear Cat, it's already special
thanks for sharing!

Enjoy * Enjoy!
oxo

Jacky said...

Grazie for sharing how you made this beautiful travel journal Cat. So beautiful!

On my recent trip I just used a type of moleskin journal, which has a pocket for my bits and bobs in the back (of course nowhere near large enough for all the pieces I collected).

The little journal served a purpose, but next trip I hope to make a journal more like yours, makes it more personal and I love the thought of lovely watercolour paper to sketch and paint on, more pockets, special papers.

Enjoy your Caribbean trip ....

Jacky xox

Unusual Girl Studios said...

Bon Voyage! Lovely journal- as always.

sharon said...

It is beautiful! I so love it Cat! Thank you for sharing the how to, because now I want to!
Hugs and have a wonderful trip!

Gaby Bee said...

Your journal looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how you've made it!

Be good to yourself!

Enjoy your journey, Cat!
Gaby xo

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

I know you are already off on your trip, but this little book is fantastic. I too look at coptic and run. This is a fantastic solution to stitch into the muslin and then glue it down. I wondered what that cover was, and thought it had the quality of an old onionskin feel, tyvek, of course. Beautiful Cat. xox

Sophie Munns said...

How fabulous Cat... being taken through your progress was amazing!

AND ... i did love seeing your garden in the previous post.... backbreaking indeed.
Have a wonderful holiday and look forward to seeing your journal and photos!
xox S

Catharina Maria said...

I love to see this book , it is wonderful !
♥RINI♥

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think I missed you. So I hope you are enjoying your time away. It sounds really lovely. This is an adorable travel journal. I am really impressed. BTW, you nearly blew my socks off when you told how you rusted the metal embellishment. It's amazing what you learn when reading your blog. I've rusted a LOT of metal AND fabric AND paper, but never your way. AWESOME.

winnsangels said...

Have a wonderful journey Cat. Thank you for sharing the process of making your journal. Beautiful. Fun filled already.
Angel blessings.

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Have a wonderful trip Caterina - your travel journal is awesome.
Love the collages you put in.

*jean* said...

what a gorgeous book! thanks so much for sharing it's beautiful creation!!!

RIAZ UDDIN said...

If you are looking for travel information and high quality photography, look no further then www.paradiseintheworld.com. There you will find huge amounts of information covering all regions of the world.

iffatali said...

I lived at home and I cycled every morning to the railway station to travel by train to Johannesburg followed by a walk to the University, carrying sandwiches for my lunch and returning in the evening the same way.
Flights to Harare
Cheap Flights to Harare
Cheap Air Tickets to Harare

Follow by Email