Follow by Email

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

bird quilts



just as I am beginning to 
write a new article for submission
with 

my bird quilts in the 
Winter 2011 issue
have returned...




"sunset"


we collectively use birds as metaphors to describe people and relationships
and with these quilts I wanted to
explore and express current feelings and relationships
with family and friends...


"adaptation"

these first three pieces are  
roughly 8" x 8"



"fly in all directions"

the small pieces below measure
5" x 5"




"mindful" 

and they are all hand stitched on Khadi paper




"joy" 

with antique ephemera



"comfort"

and grey sari ribbons...



 ingredients: antique stamps and thread labels, paper ephemera thread, painted papers, stained papers. fabric, lace and acrylic paint. 

I am way behind in my postings
so I will be back soon with another post about 
the new Pasticcio Quartz Zine
as I have a piece published there as well...

off to the studio dear readers, 
I am hoping your day is sunny in spirit...

ciao, ciao!






20 comments:

WrightStuff said...

Sunny in spirit yes :)

Beautiful pieces of work - you should be rightly proud of them.

Dosfishes at Sparkle Days Studios said...

These photographed really beautifully in the magazine and are bolder with the black and touches of red here and there. I really, really enjoy this new work Cat, your happiness comes shining through. xox Corrine

Cynthia Schelzig said...

What wonderful collage pieces!!! Each one a beauty! Happy New Year!

*jean* said...

i love these...the pop of red really makes it...beautiful work, miss cat

Yvonne said...

I did see them in the magazine. They are wonderful. You have such an eye for great collage. Hope you are having a wonderful new year.

merci33 said...

These are charming and lovely and sweet ...the sizes feel 'just right' intimate and endearing.
love the color range too...

happy new year to your creative voice...so beautiful.

Patti said...

congrats and they are absolutely gorgeous - can't choose a favorite!

Steph said...

Needless to say I totally ADORE these, Cat!!!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Lovely submissions and they are so inviting. Peace, Mary Helen

lynne h said...

lovely, cat!! and blowing kisses to the khadi paper! xoxo

sharon said...

Your pieces are so bold but so tranquil....I always love the serenity I find at your blog, and of course the beauty!

mansuetude said...

these are lovely. I would love them as postage stamps. They have that kind of rhythm and detail.

Sophie Munns said...

I adore these Cat...
one them all... but maybe 'adaptation' would be my choice .. it would look spectacular in the room I have just painted in a lovely warm grey!
thanks for your gorgeous comments this week to! Carolyn is divine and her home town... just wonderful!
Sx

In the Light of the Moon said...

I think I must have looked at these beauties in the magazine over and over again.Gorgeous Cat!! Hugs,Cat

layers said...

What a wonderful series and to published too.. congrats on all your success and much more in the new year.

Margaret said...

so beautiful, such a wonderful combination of delicate colours and textures. Mx

Gaby Bee said...

Congratulations! This series is absolutely amazing!

All my best wishes,
Gaby

Margie said...

Oh my. such beautiful work!
You are truly talented!

Margie x

Studio Sylvia said...

Your varying components - colour, texture and materials - come to together beautifully in these compositions Cat. I am sure you will meet your deadline impressively.

Trudi Sissons said...

You and I share (as do so many others) the love of birds, both as our constant garden companions, and the many metaphors they provide. These are beautiful Cat - I`m going to have to take a look to see what`s up in your shop :0)