Monday, September 26, 2011

travel journal



ciao...
dear readers....
it is so nice to be posting again...

home in my studio
and creating new work...

the Caribbean
was magical and gorgeous
and I will have photos for you
on my next post...





as you know,
tropical storm,
Maria
had us leaving early...
rushing to get to
Puerto Rico
before she made landfall...
and we planned on spending one day in the hotel
room waiting out the storm
but ...
Maria took a right turn
and we actually had a
beautiful sunny day in
Puerto Rico to
bask on the beach...

which was
wonderful




so here are the pics of my
Caribbean travel journal


I upcycled an old soft cover
ledger book
by cutting it in half

and recovering the original front and back cover
with brown paper
which I painted ...
the cover piece
is a small scrap image of coral
from wrapping paper
and covered with antique netting
it was combined using paper and fabric
with my italian collage technique...



the inside front cover and first page...



before I left, I made several
italian collage pieces for the journal
example above...





I decided to bring a travel set
remembering to empty the water
in the reservoir
before I put them in my
carry on bag





if you have never used them before
I will tell you they are marvelous
and awful...
because 3 sizes fit all...
if you know what I mean, but they do the trick
sitting on a lonely beach...





I also had the presence of mind
to secure blank Khadi papers
to use as watercolor paper
throughout the journal







some days were really full...
and others were quietly peaceful....







I usually feel as though vacation days
move faster than other days...
but this one ambled along
at a perfect pace...








the pages below are
Italian collage
and water color on fabric...






I was fascinated by the lines drawn in the sand
by the successive waves..





in St. Croix
we visited a beautiful






slowing down was not a problem...




no matter where we went...
there was
and the enormity of
the sky and the water...





gorgeous and magical
whether it was stormy or sunny...




each day
was a blessing..






back in Puerto Rico

for a day of rest before the long flights home...






detail below, of the inside back cover
Italian collage










peeking inside the top
of the journal...





and the back cover painted and stained...

I took my inspiration from old leather, torn sails
and foxed pages...




ingredients: fabric, thread, hand dyed cotton and muslin, handmade papers, Khadi paper, acrylic ink, walnut ink, water color, pencil, pen, paper ephemera, transfers on paper, packing tape transfers, lace, antique netting, resists (a variety of resists).


a long post...
I know...
but I will be back with photos and
September
pages!

C4N!