Follow by Email

Monday, September 26, 2011

travel journal



ciao...
dear readers....
it is so nice to be posting again...

home in my studio
and creating new work...

the Caribbean
was magical and gorgeous
and I will have photos for you
on my next post...





as you know,
tropical storm,
Maria
had us leaving early...
rushing to get to
Puerto Rico
before she made landfall...
and we planned on spending one day in the hotel
room waiting out the storm
but ...
Maria took a right turn
and we actually had a
beautiful sunny day in
Puerto Rico to
bask on the beach...

which was
wonderful




so here are the pics of my
Caribbean travel journal


I upcycled an old soft cover
ledger book
by cutting it in half

and recovering the original front and back cover
with brown paper
which I painted ...
the cover piece
is a small scrap image of coral
from wrapping paper
and covered with antique netting
it was combined using paper and fabric
with my italian collage technique...



the inside front cover and first page...



before I left, I made several
italian collage pieces for the journal
example above...





I decided to bring a travel set
remembering to empty the water
in the reservoir
before I put them in my
carry on bag





if you have never used them before
I will tell you they are marvelous
and awful...
because 3 sizes fit all...
if you know what I mean, but they do the trick
sitting on a lonely beach...





I also had the presence of mind
to secure blank Khadi papers
to use as watercolor paper
throughout the journal







some days were really full...
and others were quietly peaceful....







I usually feel as though vacation days
move faster than other days...
but this one ambled along
at a perfect pace...








the pages below are
Italian collage
and water color on fabric...






I was fascinated by the lines drawn in the sand
by the successive waves..





in St. Croix
we visited a beautiful






slowing down was not a problem...




no matter where we went...
there was
and the enormity of
the sky and the water...





gorgeous and magical
whether it was stormy or sunny...




each day
was a blessing..






back in Puerto Rico

for a day of rest before the long flights home...






detail below, of the inside back cover
Italian collage










peeking inside the top
of the journal...





and the back cover painted and stained...

I took my inspiration from old leather, torn sails
and foxed pages...




ingredients: fabric, thread, hand dyed cotton and muslin, handmade papers, Khadi paper, acrylic ink, walnut ink, water color, pencil, pen, paper ephemera, transfers on paper, packing tape transfers, lace, antique netting, resists (a variety of resists).


a long post...
I know...
but I will be back with photos and
September
pages!

C4N!



39 comments:

Gabriela said...

Beautiful! Glad you had a nice time! Welcome back!!!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

oohhh that was very nice...the short trip I just had....thanks for taking us all on vacation if only for a moment.......

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

What an incredible journey and your sacred marks are breath taking. I am still in recovery but I find such peace when I visit your lovely post. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

artistamyjo said...

What a wonderful trip and journal. Very nice to have you home again.
Hugs

Dosfishes at Sparkle Days Studios said...

Simply sublime my dear, gorgeous work as always! For you to have this much inspiration must have been a marvelous trip! xox Corrine

Heavens2Betsy said...

Your journal is a joy to behold - what a marvellous keepsake of your time away. just beautiful. penny x

In the Light of the Moon said...

Omy Cat..I'm going to the carribean in a couple of weeks..Can you make my journal?heehee..this is STUNNING!! I am so inspired..everypage is so beautiful!!Hugs,Cat
ps..We are taking the kids..when will I find time to work on my journal..heehee

ArtPropelled said...

You say it's a long post but I was sorry to get to the end. I loved seeing your journal from all angles especially from the top looking at all the full pages... and I love the way you have attached the ties with simple knots. Beautiful!

~*~Patty S said...

enjoyed every minute of your blog post dear Cat...so lovely and restful even from here in VA

lovely journal from your magical island getaway!

glad you're home and Maria is history...that naughty gull!
oxo

Sharmon Davidson said...

Your journal is lovely, Cat; it's clear what a glorious time you had. Thanks for letting us peek at your journey... the next best thing to being there!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

What a beautiful journal...every page reflects both what you are seeing and the overall feelings.Lovely from cover to cover.

lynne h said...

beautiful, cat!! looking at your journal your vacation *feels* leisurely... and gentle... xoxo (i dearly love khadi paper)

audrey said...

Cat, your journal is lovely ~ every single page. I can only imagine how beautiful it had to be sitting by those clear blue waters, relaxing, and creating in your journal. Thank you for sharing that with us.
I look forward to photos from your trip.
♥ audrey

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your travel journal hit the spot! I was just getting ready for bed, saw that you had posted earlier in the day, and got all excited to see it. At first, I thought the first photo had cardboard on it, but when I clicked for a larger view, I saw the striped fabric. My eyes must be really tired.

I so enjoyed this peek into your vacation. It was marvelous, and I really liked how you combined fabric with paper. Very enjoyable journey.

suziqu's thread works said...

You have captured the journey so beautifully in your journal. It has such a lovely feel to it and visually beautiful! It is very inspirational Cat!

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous journal of what looks like a wonderful trip!! I love all of the layers in your Italian Collage pages!! Yummy!! So nice to have you visit my blog- It has been a very long time since I have made the blogging rounds!! Sorry for not stopping by sooner!! Hugs!!

T's Daily Treasures said...

An absolutely beautiful way to record your journeys. Thanks for sharing! Best wishes, Tammy

Dymphie said...

Your journal looks so special, such a great way to keep wonderful memories alive. Loved reading about your journey.

Julie-ann Frances said...

So lovely to find you, your art books are as gorgeous as ever! :) Julie
I changed my blog sorry! confusions everywhere, silly me!
(Heavenleighart to julieannfrances.blogspot)

Steph said...

LOVE This journal, CAt!!! simply beautiful that you've recorded your travels .....

Supria Karmakar said...

What a magnificent journal...the layers and the imagery, collage bits all are so poetic...your print and journalling add a nice part of the imagery...hope you had a great vacation, sounds and looks like you did...lovely

Zom said...

It is a beautiful journal, thanks for sharing it.

Marie said...

I so admire artists who do up travel journals into works of art! Thanks for sharing your journey. Sounds wonderful. Hope you returned tanned & content!

Seth said...

What a stunning journal. Thanks so much for sharing so many pages. It is beautiful. And welcome home!

Deborah said...

So lovely and what a wonderful record of your trip!

Renee Howell said...

What a wonderful journal! I'm so amazed when people pull together their travel journals during the travel! Peaceful. thanks for sharing and hope you are doing well this October morning.

Gwendoline said...

très joli! j'adore ce genre de carnet de voyage !
je n'ai encore pas essayé! bravo!

priti.lisa said...

Hi Cat!
Delicate and feminine as ever...
Sometimes the storm avoids the gentle people on vacation...
I am still loving the earrings you made...I wear them every time I leave the house.
And think of you.
♥♥♥

Marilyn Rock said...

Luscious travel journal pages - each and every one!

FYI - I have new Blog address:
http://mrockart.typepad.com/art-rocks

Stay well...............Marilyn xxoo

Cynthia Monica said...

Sounds like the perfect Holiday! Your journal is lovely, welcome back home...

Sophie Munns said...

Lovely Cat... what a trip...it sounded absolutely delightful and with such a wonderful record of your days there...
looks blissful!
S xo

BadPenny said...

Stunning journal x

Margaret said...

Beautiful journal Cat, so totally you! gorgeous colours, you really captured the mood of your trip so well, love it! Mx

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

A treasure. You will enjoy this in the bleak of some winter, when you pull it out and reconnect with your vacation. I can see you had a relaxing time!

Judy Martin said...

Truly very beautiful, and I sense the calmness that you must have had on your va ca.

I especially like the simple yet rich covers and the variety of page weights and sizes. Very inspiring. Thanks.

lilylovekin said...

Your journal is so lovely, the peaceful feeling i get looking at the paintings in it, tells me that it must have been a slow and wonderful time.

Trudi Sissons said...

Cat! Now THIS is what I consider a perfect journal - page after page of beautiful cursive writing and printing - love your handwriting.
And the paint, and thicknesss of each page - delicious! Welcome home.

Zom said...

I came looking for some ugly journal pages. Obviously you weren't speaking of this journal! Very gorgeous.

Tammy said...

Gorgeous! Such a wonderful reminder of those serene days spent just taking in the beauty around you. Love it.
Xo,
Tammy