Follow by Email

Thursday, December 3, 2009

sacred hearts 2

drum roll please!..... she wrote, smiling exhaustedly,
long days and nights in the studio and even dreaming about making art has me
quite tired. you would think that after 8 pieces, I would be finished,
but I have lots of new ideas and I think I will continue making work
in this series.
above is the detail of the post card piece so you can see the little door,
it has a magnetic clasp.
it was a wonderful find and looks much better painted brown...

I will give you the dimensions, title and the tour today includes little narratives that I created for each piece...
I think I will start at the end, with ...
the smallest piece titled Post Script 5x61/2 is in a vintage Florentine frame. the tin is hand cut and the flames are repousse' that I made from decorative tin... the post script is so important to any letter, because it is that final important bit that was forgotten and
it is shows a reluctance to end the communication.
the tiny scrolled words are an actual post script cut from a letter and wonderfully illegible!
Spending a Few Days in Paris, 8x10 is a heart tin suspended between the frame and the canvas as a shadow box. the tin was painted and soaked, repainted and collaged with bits of text about letter writing, the transfer is on canvas and it is stitched to muslin. the chains and charms are vintage and have been soaked and aged and stitched to the tin.
in this piece I wanted to capture the wonder and dreamy excitement one feels when traveling to a new place for the first time and writing about the trip before it has even begun... the collaged script on her forehead is from a post card and reads, "I think I will be spending a few days in Paris"...
Ladies Hand is 8x10 and the frame itself is free standing, but I also wired the back so it can hang on the wall. the transfer is on fine linen, hands folding a letter, the antique script in the back from the Graphics Fairy, the bits of word are antique from piano scrolls and all the bits are vintage or antique
my narrative for this piece is simply about two people separated by miles and dreaming of being together again...
the next two pieces are companion pieces. the frames and mats are all upcycled and I had to re-gild and stain the frames because, well... they needed it!
I will start by apologizing for the glare... we had quite the sunny day yesterday. these tins are from a heart ornament that I found, split open, rusted and pounded flat.
here is a detail of the piece above titled, #10 they are both 11x14 the back grounds are the same antique piece of paper treated differently. the hearts are both rough linen. the transfer is on fine linen and the words are skins that made from an antique post card
in the tiny czech pendant, I placed an antique french stamp so the # 10 was the focal point, the house number of her lover and the same price of the stamp...
Compose, above, this piece was inspired by my grandparents who came from Italy. their relationship was an arranged marriage. my grandfather was a peasant, my grandmother was a lady. the words, peasant poet was found on a piano roll and I stitched them on the heart. I imagine her reading the sonnets written by her peasant, poet, love.
most of the pieces included the "stitched heart nests" holding a transfered image that was integral to the story of the narrative, but the one below is
a simple tin nicho embedded in a canvas.
this spring I will be teaching these classes on line: transfers and nichos and I hope you will be looking forward to it...

The Letter, 8x10 would be pretty obvious, except that it is about two friends and the correspondence between them during a difficult time. in my story she is re reading the letter and is pensive about her response.
the transfer on canvas in the tin is actually two transfers on top of each other.
this last piece is a found wood shrine, I sanded it and papered it with antique images
and letters. the title is, Wish You Were Here, it measures 10x11 open and 10x51/2 closed.
when I found the vintage photo, I immediately saw a story about 3 sisters, the oldest sister in the background, left at home, was reading the letter sent by the younger two travelers. it reminded me of that ubiquitous saying, "having a wonderful time, wish you were here." to me this piece is about the sacrifices that we sometimes make in families for a higher ideal.
this story is really about the sister left at home.
below, the outside doors and carved wood closure.
I would like to rest now, but my journal group meets tomorrow and all I have to show for myself is the new crumbly journal and the plans in my head for it.
I wish you could all be here in person, what fun we would have together tonite!
so, gentle readers, my tour is ended, have a wonderful weekend...
ciao, ciao!

41 comments:

vintage moon studio said...

All are fabulous pieces! I love the Paris one the most... your frames are always so beautiful too. xo Deb

LuLu Kellogg said...

Caterina, I am so taken by these lovely pieces. You did a fabulous job.

Bisous,
LuLu~*xoxo

Violetswalk said...

Oh, Cat... These truly have taken my breath a way. You know how a stage production has "Break a leg". An ocean journey has "Bon voyage". What would you say to one to wish them well for an art opening. If there isn't one we should come up with one!

Studio Sylvia said...

Exquisite Cat. These pieces are beautiful but you already know that. I am lost for words, talented artist. Wishing you a fabulous art opening. Congrats again.

B.Held said...

Your hard work has paid off, these are just superb!

Kim said...

No wonder you are exhausted Cat! Beautiful work and wonderful stories you have woven around them all! I love them all, each one unique but a part of the whole. Hope they all sell like hotcakes, they should! Truly lovely. I can't wait for your online classes, I'll be there for the fun! Almost got the studio sorted, just need a quiet week without the rellies to get things finished off! Hugs!

Diva Kreszl said...

your work is just amazing, each piece so special!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

The attention to detail is quite remarkable...working with tin, makes a special support for beautiful images...your work is lovely and thoughtful...a true story.
Mary Ann

priti.lisa said...

I saw that you had a new post, the one I've been waiting for...but it is Nutcracker season here in Balletville. I purposefully scrolled past...fast!
I want to savor the pictures and script. Hopefully with a Bailey's laced coffee to warm my blue toes.
xox

Pilar said...

I agree with the other readers: this collection is simply exquisite. I love the inspiration behind each peace and your translation of these stories with such a variety of textures and materials. I really wish I lived closer so I could attend this exhibit. Thank you for uplifting my heart and soul with your story. : D xo

Jill Zaheer said...

What a gorgeous series - love the heart theme- and my favorite is the letter. Each one has it's own special and endearing personality- all just ready to be adored! So much work has gone into these works- they are each such creative works fo art!

Lawendula said...

Lovely! :) xo

Jo Archer said...

These are just beautiful. I love the shabby frames and the rusty heart is absolutely gorgeous!

Marilyn Rock said...

Caterina! Stunning pieces; they transcend me to a peaceful and beautiful place - each of them have their own stories and magical feel! I'm not surprised you are exhausted but what better way to be spent than creatively! You are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing so much of you! xxoo

La Dolce Vita said...

Mille grazie! to you all... for your kind encouragement!
the show was lovely and we had a great turn out, even though it was approx. 2 degrees last night the whole town was out to party! and a

foot note, my journal group meets NEXT week... so whew! a reprieve of sorts and I will be able to show you the stages of my journal recovery, once I recover my trashed studio!!! LOL!! xo cat

nancy neva gagliano said...

pentimento-ish! underlying memories...FAB...as i hope your show was last night!! yum to the irregular stitching, and the three sisters!!
you ROCKED it, 4sure.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

There's nothing like building on a body of work until you feel you have exhausted the possibilities! These are beautiful, I wisk I scould see these pieces in life. But, I can get a hint to the content, soft color and texture in you images. Quite an acomplishment!!! -Jayne

alteredpink said...

These are beautiful! My favorite is PS, gorgeous. I love the softness of the pieces, so perfect for the holidays. Congrats!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm totally impressed with your art assemblages. They are so well done and the story behind each one makes them even more special.

Poetic Artist said...

I just found your blog thru another blogger.
I do love your work..I am going to follow you.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.
Katelen

Karen- The Graphics Fairy said...

Hi Caterina,
I have to say, I'm so blown away by your work that I'm nearly speechless!! Your pieces are amazing! I'm so honored that you selected something to use, from my blog, in one of your pieces. And it was extremely kind of you to give me credit for that image. I feel blessed to have found your blog today, thank you so much for stopping by mine.

Tammy said...

These are all absolutely gorgeous!! I love the soft vintage feel of them and the sentiments you've added. Just lovely.
Tammy

rivergardenstudio said...

Dear Cat... words cannot say how beautiful these are... each with its own story... each a treasure... have a wonderful week. Roxanne

Jasmine said...

Your wotkis very beautiful, and clever too. I have no idea how you make these things. I read a post explaining how to transfer photographic images onto muslin and it sent me reeling. Seems so complicated.

Lisa said...

your pieces are exquisite.. i love the woven style handstitching you've added to the hearts..it adds such delicious texture!

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

What a lovely showing of your exquisite sacred hearts AND having your narrative to go along with certainly adds to the experience, altho each piece does have so much to 'say' on its own!
My eyes and ears perked up when I read about your Spring on line class ... that will be wonderful!
oxoo

Debrina said...

Hi Cat! I was just about to pop over to see you and you'd already left me a wee note on my blog! Well, anyway, I am so sorry I haven't popped on by for a while. Life has been hectic to the extreme (read job interviews, marketing strategies, a teething 19 month old!). Yes, the Pulp redux project is so exciting isn't it?!! And look at your gorgeous work!! You really MUST be a part of teh next altered book round robin we do (if you have time, of course!).

Marie said...

Nice to get back to your blog. Your "sacred hearts" series is just wonderful. I love the "stitched heart nest" concept. (When you first posted about your project, I thought of the iconic Catholic symbology. Your twist is truly a pleasant and welcome surprise. My favorites are the "paris" and "compose". Your work is filled with deep thought and passion. Brava!

deb said...

The work is so marvelous, I am imagining you standing amidst the creative wreckage, moving and tidying and gearing up to go again, sometimes that is my favorite part of the project, before the real work begins

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Beautiful - no wonder you dream of these! Congratulations.

Gaby Bee said...

Your work is simply amazing! This pieces are really perfect for the holidays. Love your "sacred hearts" series.
I wish you a Happy Holiday Season!

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

What a wonderful collection of art you've put together! I like your muted tones and many layers. Thankyou for sharing your own thoughts about them. I was admiring your layers and stitching and thinking how nest-like they were and then I read what you called them...stitched heart nests!! How wonderful!!If I wasn't already won over that would have been the clincher:)

dosfishes said...

These are fabulous. The raw stitching and the refined images and subtle color really energize the pieces for me.

Corrine

Nathalie Thompson said...

You had me at "P.S.".
Exquisite work, all of it!
My other favorite is "Ladies Hand".

Linda said...

All I can say is WOW!!!!!
You have an amazing talent Cat....

ArtPropelled said...

They are all wonderful but PS and Compose are my favourites. Well done!

The Artist Within Us said...

Dear Caterina,

I have a moment to myself and a connection to the outside world. As my tired eyes view the beauty of these exquisite works of art, all I can say is that I am close to actual tears, as I wish to cry.

Please do not ask me to explain as I cannot at tis moment. All I know is that I will have to return a little later.

Warmest regards this holiday season, your friend
Egmont

Julie-ann Bowden said...

Oh my goodness, these sacred hearts are so beautiful. I am so in love with the beauty of them.

Dayna Collins said...

I sure love ALL of these! I have such a thing for sacred hearts and your creativity is stunning.

Trudi Sissons said...

Such soulful thoughts and intentions that wind their way through your work Cat and into the hearts of others.

Catharina Maria said...

You have a BEAUTIFUL blog , I have seen your blog from the begin to the end .
I'll never learn English sorry for the bad English .
Love from the Netherlands ♥RINI♥