Tuesday, July 11, 2017

June Art Journal Pages





I realized when I was writing
on my pages this month..

that I had a lot to say
about the color blue..

June was a lovely month
spent with family
cruising through the 
Caribbean..




Detail of June art journal pages, mixed media, Caterina Giglio



and although I wrote about our interactions..
and commented on the changes taking place in the grand kids..

I found that I kept going back to the
power of the ocean..








about the tranquility it provides ..
and the mesmerizing effect..






 that it has on me..
has on all of us, 
I imagine that I am not special..

since we are really water babies..
the water really does call us back
beckons us to travel inside ourselves to 
a deep spiritual place..

a place of connection rather than attachment..

or at least it feels like that to me,







I often have an idea in my head about 
how my pages 
"should" 
look..
each month I think I know where they are going to go..









and though my pages are little different 
than my original idea,
they still contain...






the basic idea..

the color of the Caribbean...

I originally intended to paint directly on the page..
and then I suddenly found myself painting sheets of paper..
in vibrant blues and greens..





and then I tore them into pieces and began to fit together the 
image that I saw in my head..

close 
not identical..

is it ever? identical?
not in my experience..
but I am pleased with it..

peace. tranquility. serenity. 
pure and simple...


Ingredients: gesso, pencil, hand painted papers, acrylic paints, Adirondack Color Wash,



June Art Journal pages, mixed media, Caterina Giglio



so gentle readers..
I am off to the studio..

and sorry to report no video this weekend..
my director/videographer/film editor
was called out of town..

so I will be spending a lot 
of time creating..

and starting July pages of course!


Ciao, ciao!




18 comments:

Randi Kuhne said...

Delicious blues, lovely artwork!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The blues and turquoises are fabulous. I adore the photo where the single strip of blue is laid across the entire spread. It's a wonderful entry and a beautiful, tranquil spread. It is definitely calming.

Have fun in the studio creating, too.

susan hemann said...

love the blues! while I do not live near an ocean, I am very drawn to water. I live 5 minutes from Lake Erie. This family is water happy too. We used to have a cottage on the lake and every summer I would fall asleep to the sound of the waves.

Donald Digison said...

Beautiful, as always, my dear.

Roberta Warshaw said...

Oh those blues! Lovely!

Dorthe said...

Dear Cat, such a fabulous spread , it really takes me to the sea,seeing for my inner eye, when it show a little living going on, from winds playing with the water, making gorgeous waves.
I love what you did, dear friend. Hugs, Dorthe

Sharmon Davidson said...

I love the peaceful serenity of these oceany pages! The torn paper works wonderfully well here. I have just finished a painting of the ocean for my daughter's house using those same colors. And I agree with you, there is a deep spiritual connection to the ocean for many of us; i'm always wanting to go and see her again...

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

The different shades of blue are really lovely with the layering effect. Have fun creating.

lana kloch said...

love following your journey and thought process... you and your art lifts me always..

thank you

Caterina Giglio said...

Randi, Thanks so much!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hey Dr. E, I love that one too... like falling water right? Thank you! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Susan, I have lived land locked and near the water and I loved both at different times, but the water always calls..

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Don, I so appreciate your comments.. xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Roberta, so happy you liked it..

Caterina Giglio said...

I thought of you dear Dorthe as I was making it, thinking that you would like it and it would evoke the same things.. worlds apart and yet so connected by water and surf!! xoxox

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, yes, it is wrapped in our DNA, it seems to always look for the water and to be calmed by it. Funny I am just starting work on a large water painting too, it seems I make so much art for others and now it is time to make some for me!! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks, Tammy, I like the way it turned out too, and I have been having fun playing with no tight agenda,
it feels great! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Lana, I am so happy to be able to lift you up, that makes me sooo happy!! xo

Follow by Email