Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Book of Hand Dyed Papers






Ciao, 
dear readers..

I decided to make a simple book out of all those 

yummy papers 
I made 
in my last YouTube
video..


(to see the video, scroll down to the last post)




In the video

I demonstrated how you can make dots using an applicator bottle
and I decided to use that as my cover for the book
of 
papers..

as you see finished above..




Blue berry stain above, on different papers..




List of Dyes

Red Cabbage
Turmeric
Nutmeg
Saffron
Tea
Red and Yellow Onions
Blue Berries
Cherries
Beets
Red Wine
Black Beans








I began to make my book by ironing the papers
that I submerged..






I measured the cover and decided on the length of the book cover..
I knew I wanted the pages to show and stick out..

I glued a small scrap to the cover and back
as ana embellishment..

and I determined the size of the spine..
for taping the spine should be larger than a regular stitched book..




I used my trusty clothes pins to hold it in place..

a simple taped book..
is so easy..

just fold pages and tape together at the fold
as below..



I used a decorative tape, you could use washi, or whatever you have on hand




then tape them lengthwise into the book 
making sure to tape it into 









then I used a sharp edge to cut the little tag of tape off..
and continued to make signatures this way,
until I ran out of long sheets..






and then I simply used the the same process for singles, taping them together and 
and then taping them into the book..





to cover the tape up at the front and the back
I simply glued
a scrap piece and folded it over 

below.. the front piece..








and voila!
my new book of hand dyed papers..





if you decide to make it, remember that you must make sure the tape connects
with the spine..
if you tape a signature to another signature,
your book will fall apart..






It won't take a lot of abuse..
so if you want
something to use as a journal you will have to 
stitch it..







I will still
embellish it, 
but for now..

I will just enjoy the beauty of each
page..
a beautiful book of scraps..



I am taking a much needed blog/vlog  break
for the holiday 

wishing you all a gorgeous 
and happy spring..

Felice Primavera!!


xo