Follow by Email

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January Art Journal Pages






He told me not to talk
about my hair..


and while my pages are not ALL about my hair,
the color of my hair is definitely included in 
my journal writing this month...







there is so much going on..
the country is in turmoil and even the most centered around us
are working at finding center..

every January
I take the time to create a self portrait..
to document my image..
I draw, paint or in this case.. 
I transferred 
a black and white photo onto paper.. drawing in and painting over..

my annual portrait 
 is more than just what I look like..
I am wanting to capture my attitude..
my feelings..
and the things going on around me
that make a difference....









I am a symbolist..
there is a secret language always being spoken
just below the surface..
a rose is not just a rose..

Hair is not just hair..


for me it is significant..
an extension of memory..
and I know I have written about it before..
so I will stop yammering..

Let's just say that I am getting used to it..
I am done with black dye and straightening it..









to capture this month I wrote directly onto the blank page and then gessoed over it
and wrote more..
and then covered it up with white acrylic paint..






I chose a photo of water that I took some time ago and collaged the photo and painted it
and then ripped it into pieces
feeling a bit torn in two..
but there is still flow...

it is just continued on the next page..
things continue, but they are not the same..









I was thinking a lot about myths and stories..
tragedies and happy endings..
I am as always hopeful..
I trust in love
and believe it will prevail.. 










Ingredients: transfers on paper, old book pages, acrylic paint. graphite, walnut ink, pencil, colored pencil, Prismacolor Nupastels 



I have lots going on in the studio 
my new 
series
The Naturalist's Notebook
is humming along..
and I just finished some resists..

Part Two of my Mini Concertina is being filmed this week..
I am going to share
  the technique I used to create texture and the
florals for my little garden books
featured in Sew Somerset..

so I will see you again 
very soon..

xo






10 comments:

Donald Digison said...

Told through the your heart, my dear......as always.

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you, dearest...

Seth said...

Very meaningful. Love all the figurative and literal layers.

ELFI said...

pour avoir un de tes billets chez moi...je confirme ton sens artistique... un livre fait avec grand talent...je suis une inconditionnelle! biz

Dorthe said...

My dear Cat,
yes things change ,we too, even somewhere the same , we change , and are not all the same person....or the same life. You put it beautifully, and I love to see your hair turning grey, and natural, for the "new" person you are now !! The pages are so wonderful. We need peaceful time, in between all the turmoil, and sad things happening !!
Hugs to you, my friend. xoxoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh Seth, thank you, I can count on you to see what is not being said.. ;)

Caterina Giglio said...

Chère Elfi, je vous remercie beaucoup, je suis heureuse que vous ayez aimé mes pages de janvier .. câlins et baisers xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi sweet Dorthe, yes, you understand how I feel, changing completely and yet staying the same too .. thank you dear one for your kind remarks and constant support. xoxoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I feel torn like you. Of course, I don't have enough hair to talk about, but I have the sickening feeling we are headed down a path we certainly didn't imagine this time last year. I am STILL hopeful that hope and good times will prevail, but like you, I am torn. I do LOVE your January pages and your beautiful transfer.

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi E, sorry I did not get back to check on the comments, yes, let's be hopeful, it seems like anything can happen, so lets focus on the wonderful things! x