Follow by Email

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

A Day at the Vatican






Since I am working
in the studio on a deadline
for Sew Somerset 
and 







 beginning work
on a new show 




St. Peter's Square.. stunning in the afternoon sun..

 as well as finishing my 
travel journal...
and my art journal..
I decided that it would be
a good time to catch up on the travelogue..


Hopefully you have seen my new YouTube
channel videos and our European video,
if not you can follow the link in my side bar and
subscribe..

but...
 I took a LOT of photos and wanted to give you more details
just in case you happen to go to Rome...
and if not, then perhaps it would solely be for your viewing pleasure..

so grab your libation and sit back,
this is a long post...



no floor was unadorned, everything was inlaid..


we were very glad we had purchased our tickets 
and arranged a private tour ahead of time..
the lines in Rome are as legendary as the attractions..
if you go to any museum or attraction,
you could literally spend most of the day in a line..


Our guide was very personable and kind, and extremely knowledgeable 
and I learned a lot about the museum..

let me say
this..
you probably know it is a country..
the Vatican..

but you have no idea how enormous, how spectacular it is
until you go..
to say I was exhausted is an understatement..





Defaced fresco, left from a Protestant invasion in 1527..

the rooms of art..
of statues..
tapestries..
and frescoes..
went on for miles..
not to mention the information

which was overwhelming for me..
stunning, but overwhelming...



The Map room was a long corridor with maps frescoed on the walls..
below is a small detail..





it was really incredible...
as you know,
for me it is all about the details.. 








fortunately the crowds were not too bad..
there were 40,000 people at the Vatican
the week before ...



the view from the windows of the museum were
just spectacular..





and I managed to capture..






a few for you..

yes what you see is Vatican City..










and then there were rooms of antiquities..
from every country..
statues..





from all over the world..
I tried to give you an idea of how many each and every room held..

it was mind boggling..









I loved the angel painted on the cove ceiling..
below, the way her wings stretched out of the panel..
talk about coloring outside of the lines...







and they have a huge art collection
of contemporary and modern artists..









I managed to get a shot of the Matisse..
but since we were on a tour, I could not 
linger..







We were not allowed to film in the Sistine Chapel..
but we did manage to film in St. Peter's and that was captured on
our video..

Here are my impressions of the Sistine Chapel..
first of all, I suffer from claustrophobia, and with so many tourists
crowed into such a tiny chapel, it was very challenging..
But..
it was breathtaking to see
Michaelangelo's work in person..
to see that the ceiling and the Last Judgement
look like two different people painted them, and indeed
since he was almost 30 years older when he painted the Last Judgement,
I would say that he probably was a different person by then.

The ceiling was painted under duress, he did not consider himself a painter
but a sculptor..
But, the Pope wanted him to paint,
and threatened to destroy Florence,
his home town and his family..

Can you imagine what he would have created
if he had been free to do what he
wanted..?

And...

contrary to popular belief,
he painted the ceiling standing on scaffolding
and not laying on his back..








The grounds are just as stunning 
as the museum and St. Peter's..








I was smitten with this fountain and the
giant pinecone..

so beautiful..







and the fresh air and the green lawn, revived me..







the potted trees were enormous..







below, the amazing expanse of landscape..








and leaving..
as if through a key hole..






...
we walked across the bridge..






The Ponte Sant'Angelo...
the Bernini sculptures were amazing, 








and it was such a lovely thought...
that we had angels to watch over us..
as we made our way back
to the hotel..


Thank you for stopping by, as always
I am so grateful for you kind readership..

ciao, ciao!





16 comments:

ELFI said...

tu me fais un très grand plaisir de revoir l'italie des art's ...
bises ..et bonne année!

Marie Danti said...

Love this so much! Thanks so very much for sharing your truly wonderful photos!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I got my new computer, and the first thing we tested was video. I immediately went to your channel and watched your video of Rome you had created a few days ago. It was great to see you in person, and I adored the various images you shared. I laughed when you were on the steps and people were talking all around you, You took it in stride and that made me smile, too.

I simply adore these photos. I have a friend who went to the Vatican. She even got a photo of the Pope looking out his window. As with your photo near the bridge, the photos were packed with people. I can understand how incredibly claustrophobic it must have been in the chapel.

Thank you for sharing these with us. Your words and photos always show what a special person you are.

In case I don't make it back before the end of the year, I hope your New Year's celebration is safe and fun loving.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Really beautiful. So much to see and experience. Sometimes it definitely pays to take a tour. My son went to Barcelona when he graduated high school and he said the lines for the museums and such were so long that he and his friends just gave up trying to see most things. Have a wonderful rest of the year. :)

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful tour! I didn't know they have a museum with contemporary art. You were so smart to get advance reservations and the weather looks perfect too.

Dorthe said...

Oh dear Cat,
this is truly also stunning to see, and read your words about this experience you have had. I was never in Rome , such a shame, this must have been the tour of your life, ---it would have been mine !!!
As always your photos are fabulous, too.
Good luck with all you have to accomplish , maybe even before the year finish tomorrow.
Also I wish you a healthy, happy and crafty New Year! All the best for you and your loved ones, dear friend. and love and hugs from Dorthe

Sharmon Davidson said...

Cat, I have really enjoyed looking and all these fabulous photos of Rome - one the places I hope to be able to travel to someday. Overwhelmingly beautiful! I totally love the fountain with the water coming from the figure's mouth! I'm now going to check out your youtube videos; just can't get enough of the sights of Rome!

Linda said...

Really beautiful! Happy New Year and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

Caterina Giglio said...

Merci Elfi, et je vous souhaite une bonne année et je vous remercie pour la belle carte et les timbres! bisou Bisou!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Marie, I am so glad you enjoyed it, it was quite the adventure!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi E, Yes, Let's hop it is a very happy New Year! Healthy, happy, productive and creative! So glad you enjoyed the video, I was actually trying to get him to film all the people who where meeting each other, which was exactly what I was talking about!! Oh well, we are getting better at filming, and it is fun to work together. Thanks so much, x

Caterina Giglio said...

Tammy, anywhere in Europe the lines are long for museums and it made all the difference, believe me, we also bought tickets ahead of time for attractions so that made a huge difference. It allowed us to have time to relax and have fun.. I hope you go, it is amazing!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Mary Ann, not me, my guy is the smart one, Mr. La Dolce Vita, he is the one who arranges EVERYTHING! and it made a huge difference. The vatican owns just about everything, I could not believe the amount of art they have really astounding!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Dorthe, thank you so much dear friend! Well Rome was never on my list! Don wanted to see it, so we spent the majority of our time there, but I did enjoy it. My desire was Florence, and we plan on going back again someday! Here's to a prosperous, healthy and happy New Year for us both!! xoxox

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sharmon, thanks for checking out the videos, I promise we will get better, I still feel pretty stiff in front of the camera, but I guess it will just take time... glad you enjoyed the photos, I have tons more from the other places! No end of photos, right? xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Linda, thank you for stopping by! Happy New Year to you! From sunny Florida!!