Monday, May 9, 2016

April Pages





Dreamy April...

dreams... 
so many dreams..








I found I was journaling about my dreams..
though I journaled about other things too... I
kept going back to my nightly dreams
...
spiders, people..
situations...







and snakes..

while I am not crazy about either of those .. 
spiders or snakes..
they represent 
creativity and death and rebirth 
respectively...
to me anyway...

and those are things that cannot be ignored..






I tried to capture what it feels like to wake upon 
dreaming...
you all know that feeling...


wanting to remember the dream and all the details
before it fades into the mist 
as we move across the bridge of 
the unconscious to the land of waking reality..








For years I kept a dream journal
and interpreted my dreams
the symbols...
and the situations...







and now I have a pretty good idea
about the story they tell...
revealing the direction I am taking and
allowing me to change course 
if I want to...









and forewarning me of things
to come...
relationships that will change...








I started this month by writing directly 
on the unprimed page...










painting over the words..
transferring  images...
the pensive woman is the only transfer remaining..

and then collaging and decollaging the page..



ingredients: Art Graf pencil, acrylic paint, antique paper ephemera, book pages, tissue paper, wrapping papers, transfers with gel medium, walnut ink, 




paint, collage, rip tear..
destruction and creation..
the goddess Chaos 
at work...


I am off for a little holiday to the beaches south of us
and will take my camera with me..

to share the wonders of sand and shells
with you dear reader..



ciao, ciao..



19 comments:

Suzi Smith said...

They do capture the sense of just awakening from a dream... i thought that before i read. I've been Dreaming so much lately... such a fabulous exploration :-)

lana kloch said...

again, so transformative.. love your art..

Valerianna said...

I like the dream pages - and the fragmented quality of them makes sense for dreams. Have a lovely time on more southerly beaches :)

Sharmon Davidson said...

Cat, your April pages are truly dreamy... I find the collage/decoupage process to be like digging through my subconscious. I have the feeling that you do, too. These pages speak to me of dreams, both remembered and forgotten, and the beautiful hazy images that remain. So beautiful...

Sharmon Davidson said...

Cat, your April pages are truly dreamy... I find the collage/decoupage process to be like digging through my subconscious. I have the feeling that you do, too. These pages speak to me of dreams, both remembered and forgotten, and the beautiful hazy images that remain. So beautiful...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed the dreamy feel to your April pages. They are almost ethereal.

My adviser in grad school studied dreams. He did active research on dreams, and was always curious about my dreams. He was shocked when I told him I KNEW I had dreams because there's so much research out there that supports it, but I have never remembered my dreams. At first, I thought it was stress, but now I have no idea why I don't remember dreams, even when I'm awakened suddenly. I loved how you described your time between wake and sleep. Sadly, I've never felt that mist, nor moved across any bridge! But I enjoyed the lovely analogy.

Have fun in the sun for a few days.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love this!! I have thought about the idea of a dream journal for quite some time, but have never done it. Dreams fascinate me. You have inspired me with this post :)

Pamela Gerard said...

Dreamy! And, what a wonderful idea to keep a dream journal. The pages do evoke dreams......love them. Wonderful work.

Dorthe said...

I never seem to be able to remember what I dream, only very small bits of what happens .... always seems to vanish when I wake up :-)
But your idea of writing it down making a dream journal , have come out so stunning, dear Cat. Your pensive woman, is a gorgeous page, I so love how you almost hide her, with the sentences and then added lovely other papers and paint. Truly dreamy and evasive this page is.
I love reading your words, too ,you are a wonderful writer!!!
Hugs from Dorthe

ELFI said...

malgré ces petites bestioles...ce rêve est délicat!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Suzi, glad you got the perception of the piece before you really saw the whole thing... that is great! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Lana, as always ... Thank you so much!! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Val, we had a glorious trip, so fun and peaceful, thank you!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, why is it so? I always feel like I am in a dream when I work with paper... When I paint, I am far more conscious and literal... very strange... is it like that for you too? xo

Caterina Giglio said...

E... I am totally shocked! I used to teach dream workshops and I never met anyone like you! That makes you very special of course!! I do know that as we age, we often have less dreams, and I think that is because we seem to have less challenges in our day to day life ... So perhaps you just have life figured out... for yourself anyway!! :D x

Caterina Giglio said...

Hello Mr. Optimistic, welcome to "the sweet life", so happy you were intrigued by the post, and there are two books on dreams and symbols that you might find interesting, both by David Fontana, I am sure you can get them at Amazon. Keep a dream journal by your bed and make sure you always write out your dreams, it will lend credibility to your internal guidance. Have fun..

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Pamela, so glad you liked it and yes, dreams give us so much don't they?

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you sweet Dorthe, I so appreciate your kind words, yes the dreaming woman at the top is me pondering what it all means.. sometimes it takes a while to see the truth.. glad you found the spread dreamy.. xoxox

Caterina Giglio said...

Bon jour, Elfi! Merci beaucoup!!

Follow by Email