Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Worship With Tunes





The idea had been
rattling around in my head for a very long time..

dear reader,





I wanted to create a concertina book
with see through hinges...





so I spent last year experimenting with
different types of ribbon
until I found something that was sheer enough
to allow light to enter
and to see through...







and sturdy enough to hold the book pages
together..

amazingly, that turned out to be some antique white ribbon
that I had purchased several years ago
at an estate sale..

although it was just a sample piece...








to practice on so I could make some botanical 
ribbon hinged books for 
the Summer edition
of Sew Somerset...

I fell in love with the little thing...
and as I worked on it, and sanded back the pages
I read the words that appeared...

Worship with Tunes
dark clouds appear ..... now sing..
they disappear..

now 
sing...






which reminded me of someone I know who loves music..
now, I know we ALL  love music..
but this friend loves ALL music ..
in fact I don't think I have ever met anyone who has
more eclectic taste than she does...


and if anyone understood
how to 
Worship with Tunes...






well 
it would be her...
we all know that music CAN chase the blues away...
and take us to long ago places still living in the heart of memory..
so it IS something to celebrate
...

..
 into a hand dyed and stitched muslin bag it went...






to spread cheer
hopefully for the holidays...


and with a New Year at hand..
who knows what kinds of things we will 
all create...

hmmmm?

hoping your New Year is filled with
love, creativity, health
and prosperity..


ciao, ciao!




29 comments:

Gilda Povolo said...

Lovely, and indeed, it has seemed to me for many years that much music is prayer, and singing is praying. Beautiful work of art, Cat!

Pamela Gerard said...

Oh! I absolutely LOVE this -- beautiful.My husband is a musician and we think the symphony hall/opera house is like a church.....

Dorthe said...

Beautiful, small and beautiful,--- music truly makes memories for all of us, and makes us "see through " days and years, when listening . Maybe only remembering a little from here and there. You illustrated that so beautifully dear Cat, with the words pupping up,and the see through hinges. Also stunning in neutral tones !!
Hugs,
Dorthe

~*~Patty S said...

Beautiful and precious gift for your special friend...
the found poetry and special pages all a treasure.
Happy New Year dear one
oxo

suziqu's thread works said...

OOh a book to make our hearts sing in all of it's simplicity with the beautiful idea of the transparent hinges - looking so light and airy.
Your friend will relate so beautifully to this art piece!
Hugs,
Suzy

Corrine at corrinegilman.com said...

Wonderful. I love this book form, probably one of my favorites. The bag is perfect to house it too. Don't forget to re-bookmark me at the new site. corrinegilman.com
xox

l. katherine roberts said...

Love, love, love . . .

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is incredibly gorgeous. I adore it. My musician friend Joseph Peck, who plays all types of music, says it's the universal language. This is a beautiful concertina book with hand stitches that make it even more meaningful. What a find with that ribbon, too.

BTW, Happy New Year. I hope it's a joyous, healthy, productive, and artful 2016.

Lisa DiNunzio said...

you are the BEST!
your concertina books are lovely
{and they hold up beautifully, mine is still on display after 5? years}
happy new year, 16 is gonna be great!

Lynda Howells said...

Everyone else has said what l feltxx happy ~new year
xxxx :)

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Gilda,
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment, so happy that you liked the piece and the post! Sending much love! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Pamela, I so agree! thanks for your kind comment!

Caterina Giglio said...

Ah dorothy, I knew you would like the neutral tones!! Thank you and so very happy you liked it!! Yes, tiny... approx 3 x 3 inches... xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Patty! And a very Happy New Year to you too!! Who knows what adventures we will go on this year... Hmmm? xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Suzy, thank you, she did like it.. and I was so glad! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

oh Corrine, I will do it now, thank you for the reminder!! xox

Jenny Petricek said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm always attracted to things in a vintage white, because the textures and gradations in color are so delicate and subtle. I love the fact the ribbon is sheer, because it adds an ethereal quality that is the perfect companion for the white! The tiniest red accent threads are also awesome! :-)

Gaby Bee said...

Your concertina book looks fabulous!
Hope that 2016 will bring you health, happiness, joy, peace and an endless stream of creativity!

Patti said...

I love the way this turned out and admire the time you spent considering how to make it come together in the way you wanted! xoxoxo

Kim Andersen said...

How beautiful Cat - I love the gauziness and how the light comes through - lovely work as always!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hey Jenny, thanks so much! the red threads are small pieces of tissue papers printed with red lines, it turned out better than I hoped, and thanks so much, I really appreciate your kind comments!

Caterina Giglio said...

Katherine Roberts, thank you so much!! And thanks for stopping by!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi E! sending you happy New Year wishes too! Thanks for the lovely comments, and that ribbon has come in quite handy! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Lynda, Happy New Year to you as well! and thanks for coming over for a look see! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Lisa,
It must be at least 5 years now, and I loved that little heart book! So glad you did too!! Thank you always for your kind support! xoxox and You are the Best!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Gaby, Thank you so much! I send you back Happy New Year greetings as well! May it be a happy one!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Patti,
I think I spent about a year on this little book, but I love it so much and I sent the botanical books in to my editor and she loved them too, so I think they may be published, so it was really worth the time it took to figure out how to do it!! thanks love, xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Kim, I love the gauziness too, so happy you liked the little book!

CatieAn said...

so light and airy......like music notes dancing through the air very lovely

Follow by Email