Follow by Email

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Pochette







It is no secret that 
artists inspire
each other...

and I have to say one of my all time
inspirations
is my fellow blogger







and on her last post, she had created a Pochette...
which translates to pocket..

an also known as papers grouped in a cover such as watercolor pochettes..





Lynne gutted an old book and then put her watercolor images inside the covers and used
an elastic to hold it together...

I thought it was pretty brilliant and decided to try it...
the book I chose above, was small 
and crumbling inside..
it was easy to tear apart... 








the inside above...

I used a thick paper to cover the front and the inside covers...







and then I mixed walnut ink and Titan Buff
to paint the cover so it would be more durable..

but.... 
when I applied the rich dark brown color
it transformed into the the amazing grey
that you see below...






not that I didn't like it...









it was just different than what I had intended..









but part of the fun
of being an artist dear reader ...
is that one is never sure exactly of what 
your creation will look like...

but...
Voila!

 now I have a 
Pochette, meaning wallet or a pochettes, meaning pockets...

either way it is a wrangler for all those odd bits of







paper that I find myself doodling on that are too small 
for a portfolio...

and
all thanks to 

Lynne!



xo










25 comments:

Lisa DiNunzio said...

yes!
she is inspiring
in many, many ways.
as are you.
xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Aww, thank you dear heart, we all inspire each other!! that is what is so wonderful ... Yes?
xoxo

Pamela Gerard said...

That is just lovely and now I am all fired up to make one too......and I certainly have lots of old books to tear up! Thanks for the eye candy and the inspiration.

suziqu's thread works said...

Such an excellent idea is the pochette and your version is
beautiful along with each displayed piece of artwork inside it!
I too will create one soon!
Thank you Lynne and Cat for the inspiration!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Great idea and yes, we are always inspired by each other in a myriad of ways. Thanks for sharing your wonderful creation. xox

Chris Gray said...

I saw Lynne's post for that Pochette ...

...and had to make one for myself!

I think that hers and yours have a nicer, more aged look than mine...

...but it holds all the small bits of paper and slips into a handbag.

Thanks for posting. A pleasure to read and see as ever...

x C

Seth said...

Wonderful. And from two artist/bloggers that inspire me!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is definitely a surprise, but quite a lovely one, especially one that will compliment the black and white drawings you are creating at the moment. Everything goes together so well. Of course, when I first saw the outside with the patterned paper, I thought I was looking at hand dyed shibori fabric. Imagine my surprise!

lynne h said...

cat, i do love your pochette! that is a beauty! i'm sitting here grinning from ear to ear... : )

mine's getting full - i need to find another old book that's just right. i *really* love that you can stick different sizes of paper in one, all those little bits... a wrangler for sure. now every time i look at mine i'll think what a wrangler it is. ; )

xoxo

~*~Patty S said...

How lovely.
The word itself is really fun and such a lovely use for those wonderful old crumbling books.
So true about inspiration from all around us...
Thank you for inspiring me again and again dear Cat
oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with Pamela! Keep me tuned in!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Suzi ... will it be from Fabric? I cannot wait to see it, looking forward to it!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, YES we do, don't we?? xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Chris!! Show us your Pochette!! Yay!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Awww shucks, Seth!! : D

Caterina Giglio said...

E, the book was made in 1913 and the pages were too brittle for even me to use... but the cover... was still in great shape and I loved the marbled paper! So glad you liked it ... and the doodles! x

Caterina Giglio said...

lynne, thank you so much for your inspiration, and I like the word wrangler too... you are the best!! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

oh, Patty... you do the same thing for me, and we inspire each other in so many ways as Corrine said. I agree the word with the change of one letter means two things! French is so intriguing!! xoxo

Pallas said...

Looks like a fun project - very pretty.

Linda Vincent said...

There is such a lovely quality to what you produce Cat.....serene and beautiful. x

Dorthe said...

Dear Cat, your wallet with the sweet word : pochette, is a beautiful way of saving and hiding all the lovely bits and pieces, or as here, your beautiful drawings,-- I love your woman!
And yes one of the things about creating ,is the sometimes very other look, we get, from what we wanted, and which makes another but still beautiful result, as this did, for you.
Hugs to you, my friend.
Dorthe

Caterina Giglio said...

Pallas, thank you so much!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh Linda, what a kind thing to say! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you dear Dorthe... she has a sweet face.. and you are so right, it is fun to be surprised isn't it? xoxo

Harnett-Hargrove said...

I do love these small,portfolios - it make the work all the more precious! Here's to you and Lynne!