Monday, June 1, 2015

Monet's Garden




As a group of artists
the Impressionists
have long been my favorites...










I suppose it is
the sense of 
romance...







and the atmospheric




quality of their paintings...
but it was also 
the idea of






the elevation of the mundane
to the magical..




that appealed to me...
capturing ordinary people
doing ordinary things...





like reading..
or relaxing at a picnic..







perhaps the most intriguing thing
for me was the notion that 
Claude Monet
built a garden in Giverny
with the sole purpose of painting
what he planted...







As a gardener myself..
I know that what we plant often takes years
to grow to fit our vision..

much as our artistic vision grows
as we take time daily for practice...






a dream realized 
was visiting the gardens of Monet...

it was even more stunning in person than I could have imagined...

I have seen a lot of gardens in my life...
but this one is beyond words...







I took so many photos, that I will have to split them up into
two posts and hope dear reader that you are as in love with 
it as I was...






and though it was a chilly day...
and grey...
there was always the light..

 the impressionistic lure...








If you have never been there
I would say that there are 3 distinct areas of interest..
the pond..
the gardens...
the house...






the photos I am sharing 
with you today are all of the pond area with the
iconic green bridge..







and though there was a crush of tourists...
at one point, I was concerned that the tiny bridge would collapse...
they were all very polite and almost 
...reverential








If you are interested in reading more about
the gardens...
go











Part Two is coming soon...

I still have so much to share with you...
and now that my travels are done..
I will soon have time to get back into the studio...


As always, thank you for stopping by...


ciao, ciao!



22 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh Cat! These are fabulous! I can so imagine being there with you! What kind of camera do you use and what time of year was this?

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful, Beautiful! I had once read that the garden was another way to keep modern life out of his paintings such as telephone poles etc. His world was all so natural and yes, beautiful!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The pond is beautiful, but I had no idea it meandered so far. For some reason, I thought it was more contained. It was good to see it from your perspective and not from a professional photo. Not saying your art doesn't look professional, but I think you know what I mean.

Actually what surprised me most was the fact there were far less waterlilies than I imagined. I owned a small pond that was overridden with waterlilies after the second year. They must really selectively keep the waterlily population down.

Beautiful shots and poignant thoughts.

Chris Gray said...

Fabulous photos!!

I know exactly what you mean about that garden...I was there a couple of years ago and was blown away by it.

Eagerly awaiting part two!!

x C

Dorthe said...

It truly look stunningly beautiful, there, Caterina.
No, I was never there, even I have been to France for several times. I can see how facinated one must be, visiting that fantastic area, and falling in love with how it is created, to give new magic moments on every turn you make.
You surely still have this place in your heart, and always will have, dear .
Thank you for showing.
Hugs, Dorthe

Patti Sandham said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing these fabulous photos. You have definitely shown the magical quality of it. Looking forward to part 2.

Deb said...

These photos are just lovely. Love wisteria and your picture is perfect. I can imagine standing for a long time trying to get a picture of the bridge with no one on it!! Does seems like a lot of people for a small bridge.
Looking forward to the next installment.

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Merci pour ce délicieux moment... avec vos merveilleuses photos.

Gros bisous ☼

Linda Jo said...

Sooooooooo beautiful! I love the photos. I'm sure it was very crowded. I read an article in the WSJ this past week about the tourists in Europe this year since the dollar is worth more. It sounds like it will be incredible this summer. Ticket sales for the Louvre and The Sistine Chapel increased by 60% since this time last year. I went last year..... would love to be back there... but it was crowded when we went! Looking forward to more pictures from you.

Caterina Giglio said...

Kathleen.. Thank you.. I just use my trusty IPhone! X

Caterina Giglio said...

And... Kathleen it was late May...

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, that is interesting... I did not know that..

Caterina Giglio said...

E, I DO know what you mean, and there were lots of water lilies, but not blooming and I am sure the hordes of gardeners keep them down to a manageable group. The path does meander around the pond, which is really quite large... who knows how big it was in his time. The Monet foundation takes care of it now and I am sure it has been expanded. It was AMAZING... x

Caterina Giglio said...

Chris, then you KNOW... it was stunning...

Caterina Giglio said...

Dorthe, you really must go, it is so amazing, the beauty is all around and totally breathtaking! You would adore it as well!! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Patti, thanks for stopping by, so happy you enjoyed it!

Caterina Giglio said...

Deb, there was a crush of tourists, and I could not get a photo without tourists... but I did manage some good shots.. thanks for stopping by ... and hope you enjoyed the tour!

Caterina Giglio said...

Bonjour mon cher, je vous remercie beaucoup. Je suis heureux que vous avez aime la tournée! Embrasse de nouveau a vous!

Caterina Giglio said...

Linda... I know ... 60% it was a mad crush of tourists, not the usual way we travel, but it was a cruise we had been planning for over a year... Even so, it was wonderful!! We loved it!! xox

Sharmon Davidson said...

It has always been one of my dreams to go to Monet's garden, so thanks for taking me there. The beauty and play of light are evident, and I can't wait to see the rest...

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, go inthe shoulder season, it is incredibly crowded in summer.. There was a crush of tourists and it was early My. You will love it.. X

~*~Patty S said...

Funny as I saw the bridge photo I thought ... oh dear hope it doesn't cave in ;-)
Stunning captures eventho I can imagine it was challenging with so much beauty at every turn
AND
the wisteria in bloom too ... such a vision!
Happy you had such a nice visit full of the things dreams are made of.
oxo

Follow by Email