Follow by Email

Friday, May 15, 2015

Antique Travel Journal





a trip to Europe
would not be complete
without a travel journal...









would it?
So in keeping with my 
bricolage sensibilities... rather than BUYING
a journal..
I decided to make it...

I had two small antique photo albums..









the larger black album was in better shape,
well... comparatively speaking...

but because space was at a premium..
we were trying to fit everything in two suitcases...
a small feat
for 3 weeks..







I chose the tiny orange album...
which I gutted easily..
and covered the outside with
document tissue paper...








and reinforced the spine with fabric
both inside and out...







I had an antique badge that I took apart
and used some French ephemera to cover a piece of cardboard that fit perfectly
inside the medallion 
for the cover...








then I began to collect my signatures..
a motley collection of watercolor paper, drawing paper and old scraps..
I stitched some vellum in the front 
to create an envelope to hold tickets and snippets 
of memories...







my wonky stitches
with wax linen...

I am woefully dyslexic, so I have never learned to create those wonderful stitches... but I can manage a basic stitch..









 I decided to use two of the original 
photo frames
for my journal...







but recovered them
in the document tissue...







the vellum envelope below...






another pocket below









the paper collection...






rough torn and deckle edges...












the finished journal...







and my little pack of art supplies ready
to pack...

ingredients: watercolor pencils, travel brushes, paper ephemera, eraser, pencils, sharpener, glue stick.







I promise the end results...


But, first I will have some photos of Rouen, France
very soon...


Thanks for stopping by..

ciao, ciao!




31 comments:

Judy Martin said...

A beautiful time for you to travel to Europe with your eautiful journal.\xx

Le petit monde de Louison said...

E magnifico!!!!! Buon viaggio!

Pamela Gerard said...

Loved seeing the journal and how you made it -- charming! And I will be making a travel journal myself very soon....have a great trip! (Looking forward to seeing the finished journal after your trip).

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

A true keepsake...even before leaving home! I look forward to your next post!

Pallas said...

Your travel journal is wonderful. Enjoy your trip and have fun writing in your journal.

maya matthew said...

What a great idea to create a journal before going on a trip, so it can be completed as your journey progresses.
Thanks for taking us through the journal making process.
Have a great holiday.

Mostly Turquoise said...

Lovely journal for memories of a voyage through antique Europe!

Kim Anaya said...

Beautiful journal! Did you make the script tissue paper yourself or purchase it? I have been looking for som elite this,
Enjoy your trip!
Kim

Dorthe said...

BEAUTIFUL, Caterina, -wonderful to see the ransformation from photo album to traveling journal , and I love the way your papers looks roughly torn, and tattered , and the pockets added. I hope it is now filled with happy memories, and beauty !
Hugs from Dorthe

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Just fabulous, wonky stitches and all. That badge is a stunner. xox

Jo Murray said...

A brilliant journal! ...but TWO suitcases? R & I never travel with more than one between us...even for a month in Europe.

Seth said...

Amazing. Looks to be the perfect container of what will no doubt be incredible memories.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Stunning journal. I was truly impressed with what you call "wonky" stitches. They look really perfect to me.

I look forward to seeing it filled, but certainly appreciate you showing how you made this, and the few art supplies you took with you. Must have been hard to decide what to take and what to leave behind.

Caterina Giglio said...

Judy, thank you, it was the perfect time... I adored Europe... xx

Caterina Giglio said...

Grazie, molto grazie, Le Petite Monde!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Pamela, so happy you enjoyed the journal and the process, I look forward to seeing your journal as well!

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, thanks it was a herculean effort to finish it before travel... but so glad I did!

Caterina Giglio said...

Pallas, thank you, it was a beautiful trip!

Caterina Giglio said...

Maya, so happy you liked it ... and the little journal worked out so well... thanks for stopping by! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Regina, I thought it would be most fitting... a petite antique journal to capture crumbling splendor! x

Caterina Giglio said...

KIm, I used tissue paper that I found several years ago.. I have made it myself before, but I did not have time to do it before traveling... thanks for stopping by!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Dorthe, dear, I love the rough papers too... they seemed the perfect thing... and yes it is filled to busting!! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, I love the badge too.. been saving it for years, and now I know why!! It works perfectly on the cover! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Jo!!! LOL... we took a transatlantic cruise to Europe... so we needed two cases, what with warm weather clothes, coats and cold weather clothes and formal wear!! Believe me it was a challenge to get it all in...

Caterina Giglio said...

Seth, absolutely INCREDIBLE... thanks!!

Caterina Giglio said...

E... it was very hard to decide what to bring... but wonky stitches and all, I really liked the way it turned out, and yes, you will be seeing it, though not for a bit... still have a few things to do to it... :D x

Sharmon Davidson said...

I love your journal and seeing how you made it, and can't wait to see the magnificent things and impressions you will collect on your trip... Have a wonderful time, Dear Cat. By the way, what is document tissue paper - gampi?

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh Cat! What a magnificent travel journal! I love how you photographed your steps, and your wonky stitches, I'm not good at the fancy ones either! Wishing you the best days ever full of adventure and magic!!
roxanne

~*~Patty S said...

Lovely lovely journal Cat!
I always have the best intentions while traveling and seem to get lost snapping photos and well you know...
I admire those that can settle down and art journal while traveling.
oxo

Patti Sandham said...

Your journal is fantastic. I can't wait to see how it transforms with your impressions of France.

Linda Jo said...

Your journal is so wonderful. I wonder, as well, if you actually did anything in it while you were gone. I'm sure you did. I seldom do...... last year I did get tour guides to sign my Italy journal. And when I was in Switzerland I met up with a blogging friend and she did a couple of pages in another journal I brought. I tend to put it all together when I get home...... or not. ha!