Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Textured Papers and What Lies Beneath












every once in a while..
I find myself so lost 
in that 
art groove..








that I know exactly what to do...


and just let the paper, paint, whatever...
talk to me..
have it's way with me..

it happened like that with this new collection..
with pages 
from an antique natural history book..
spineless, coverless, and pages bent, sepia toned and dog eared....   
foxed..








I had always loved this book of course, 
but 
suddenly it seemed to speak to me..


about what lies beneath...
what is hidden ..
and what we mark to remember...









 the pages were crumpled, folded and beautifully wrinkled...
revealing the beauty below..

and it seemed natural
suddenly to capture that..















I think of all the people that loved this book..
it must have been printed and bound so beautifully when it was new...

 been read and re-read ... with pages turned back to 
reveal the hyacinths..
or a single rose..









these are the first few pieces..
and I have several in process, that I will share with you soon...
but I thought you would want to see what I have been up to..

I will have some pieces for my shop...
but these are all going to 
EsScentuals.. to hang in the 
gallery, 142 Bis...
for the 25th anniversary celebration!


C4N!

36 comments:

Lisa DiNunzio said...

grace in all simplicity...
that's you, cat.
documenting history
into your story.
♥ ♥ ♥

Pamela Gerard said...

How lovely -- this is exactly what speaks to me. Beautiful job.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Love the hidden and reveal. xox

Jo Murray said...

I'm totally in love with these images.

A bird in the hand said...

You took that beautiful paper (I see so much beauty in aged, torn, foxed paper) and arranged it into even more beautiful art.

Gayle Price said...

Intriguing and beautiful as always.

Amy O said...

I love your artwork so much! So glad I discovered this! I'd love for you to check out my own art at allspiceandacrylics.blogspot.com or the artist section of my website at amyoes.com - Thank you so much for sharing! Best, Amy

Caterina Giglio said...

Lisa, thank you, dear one... I do adore the history and the past.. MWAH! xxxooo

Caterina Giglio said...

Pamela, thank you, we have the same eye! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you dear Queen of Paste! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Jo ... I have to admit, I am a touch pleased... (grin)

Caterina Giglio said...

Colette, that is such a great compliment, thank you so much! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Gayle, thank you so very much, I so appreciate your visit! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Amy, thank you so much, and thanks for stopping by, I will check out your site.. grazie!

Laura said...


Gorgeous Cat! I love the process and how it told you how it wanted to unfold.

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Laura, I love it too.. it is so easy when I LISTEN! xo

Brian Lapsley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Lapsley said...

They all look great Caterina!

Pallas said...

You see ephemeria in a unique way, and it is very lovely. Thanks for sharing these images.

Caterina Giglio said...

Brian, thanks! And thanks for coming over to hang out with me!

Caterina Giglio said...

Pallas, what a nice compliment! Thanks!

Seth said...

The beauty of layers so perfectly highlighted. Best with the exhibition!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Seth! :)

Sharmon Davidson said...

I love the simplicity and aged beauty of the pieces... they really inspire me!

suziqu's thread works said...

I couldn't think of a better thing to do than to turn these treasured, loved, stained, dog-eared pages into art that will be once again treasured and loved.
So much beauty and art in those old historical and botanical books!
x Suzy

Kim Henkel said...

These creations contain so many of my favourite things - the colours...my favourite.... the look of text.... another favourite.... botanical bits and line drawings... more favourites. YOu have captured them perfectly. Yes - simply beautiful.

Caterina Giglio said...

Sharmon, thanks .. it felt like a breakthrough.. xo

Caterina Giglio said...

I agree, Suzi, they are so amazing... so glad you like them! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

thanks, Kim... we speak the same language... thanks for stopping by!

~*~Patty S said...

Love this post
and your artwork is always so beautiful and special!
oxo

trish quilty said...

There is something profound about this art work created from an ancient treasure tome.
Love these.

Caterina Giglio said...

Patty, thank you so much! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Trish Quilty... thank you so much and thanks for stopping by and leaving a message!

Kay Wallace said...

Sometimes, only the artist knows what lies beneath--and that's quite okay with me! Love your work here!

Christine said...

Courtesy of Seth Apter

I am inspired! I love old books, love to use their pages in my work. These are wonderful works of art. Thank you for sharing

xx


Christine said...

I hope you do not mind but I have spent a lovely day creating ATCs along the lines of your art work. You can see them on my ATC Wannabee blogspot.
I do not sell my cards and I have given you credit by providing a link to your post.
xx

Follow by Email