Tuesday, October 28, 2014

In the Bone Yard






we recently happened upon a 
stunning bone yard,
dear reader...











it was early morning...and the beginning of a brilliant and sunny day...
and yet...







it had that wonderful creepy quality
that often resides in old bone yards...







many of the stones were broken like 
old teeth in disrepair..

words long ago worn from the stone...
and yet..
there was a definite presence...









as I walked thru..
I felt as though I was being watched..
 a hand on my shoulder..
was more than the spanish moss brushing my back
as I walked by...







there was also a pervasive sense of sadness...
as there were so many tiny
head stones..
lambs and angels...







some even had fresh flowers...






but it was more than sorrow..







Once we all knew that we would end up here..









we would find peace
and rest in a shady plot...





but now it seems even the bone yards..
are dying...








and soon ...
not even the stones will cast a shadow...



sending you blessings 
for 
All Hallows Eve
and Dia De Los Muertos..



xo





9 comments:

Jo Murray said...

That's a VERY interesting cemetery. I don't find them at all spooky, but often interesting insights into the past.

Caterina Giglio said...

Jo.. This one was definitely a very haunted place.. I dont usually feel that way, but this place was different! The age of the stones.. Entire families buried together.. And so many children.. Very interesting...

Valerianna said...

Looks like a peaceful, lovely place to walk. When I lived in the city, my place to connect with the wild was a large cemetery that had walking trails at a rivers edge. Great Horned Owls, coyotes, foxes and many other creatures lived there. When I mentioned it to my mother, she told me that my great grandmother was buried there, her mother's mother, and that was where my grandmother had learned to drive. So strange, I knew my grandmother had lived closeby in another town, but had no idea there was any personal connection. Weird.

Blessings of All Hallows to you!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

The Spanish Moss lends itself to an uneasy feeling. I always feel sad at graves of babies and then the sadness of the flags. Did you take any rubbings?

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Nos cimetières sont si différents en France... j'aime la quiétude qui règne dans les vôtres.
Une pensée particulière à tous nos défunts.

Gros bisous ❊

Dorthe said...

How sad, and also beautiful, dear Caterina!
But sad ,it is falling apart and dying too, this place of homes for so many families!!
I was never at such a cemetery , even I love visiting old ones, I have never run into one looking so much like dying as this one, and never had that creepy feeling aswell !!
Must have been such a special experience dear friend.
Hugs from Dorthe

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

That Spanish moss certainly gave a creepy feel to this small bone yard. Sad in it's shabby way, but definitely looked old. Thanks for sharing. xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Val, that is a great story! Love the synchronicity of it. I agree, old bone yards are a fabulous place for critters.. just love the peaceful vibe... x

Mary Ann, we just happened upon it, and alas had no supplies with me, but many of the stones were too worn... it was very weathered...

Caterina Giglio said...

Oui, mon cher, beaucoup de tranquillité et de beauté ... même en décroissance .. xo


Yes, dear Dorthe, it is in severe decay, very old and weathered... but still beautiful in a tragic way.. xoxo

Corrine... the Spanish moss is a def creepy touch!! xo

Follow by Email