Follow by Email

Friday, May 16, 2014

the meaning of magnolia flowers






I have a few more photos
from Florida to share with you. dear reader...

Spring in the south means magnolias are in bloom

and I have been waiting...

magnolia grandiflora




rather impatiently to see them
in all their splendid glory...

magnolias, you see...
 are the oldest flowering plants in the world...
that is quite a distinction...
don't you think?

I was impatient because I have never seen them before, but if you follow
La Dolce Vita... 
then you know that I am impatient about ALL blooms...




my quick sketch of the Magnolia Grandiflora...






nature has always inspired me...

I just finished reading Elizabeth Gilbert's book
The Signature of all Things..
the heroine, studies moss








and so I was captivated by the mosses on the trees...







and the tiny ferns growing from both
moss and tree, and thinking
what a great relationship trees have to all of life...








and it reminded me of how interconnected we all are...





palm trees the color or dusty miller...





and for those of you who have never seen a magnolia tree in bloom..
it is quite spectacular, I assure you..









the flower petals are very large and thick..




my quick sketch of Magnolia Virginiana.. the first to go to Europe



and they drape over the leaves as if they are swooning..









 the undersides of the leaves are a distinct copper brown..
quite remarkable...








they have an air of nobility and perseverance...







and their meaning?

a love of nature...


of course...


xo



8 comments:

Margie said...

Cat, when we lived in Hampton, VA, we had a magnolia tree in our front yard.
I so loved that tree.
Your photos, sketches and words brought a smile to my face.
Lovely post, thank you.

xo

Dorthe said...

Dear Cat,
It surely looks so very special, and beautiful, -I have never seen one in real life, so thank you for those beautiful photoes.
I love your sketch ,it does not look quick to me , -and you captured the loveliness so beautifully.
Hugs and a happy weekend.
Dorthe

Patti said...

Cat - such beautiful, lush blooms - and captured in your sketches. Thanks for sharing your vision!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Margie! Well you know how magnificent they are then!
Just splendid.. And thanks for always stopping by! Xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Dear Dorthe! Yes, they were very quick.. Just basic line sketches really but I just had to draw them ... It was fun..
And I would love to see your apple tree! So many beautiful things to see in this world! Xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Patti! So nice to have you stop by! Glad you liked the sketches and flowers! Xox

~*~Patty S said...

Isn't it lovely how many blooms there are to look forward to this time of year!
What a unique fern climbing up the tree...
I too am endlessly entertained and thrilled by nature...
I brought home a fallen magnolia leaf from the city...the backs are always so soft and minky...
Lovely sketches dear Cat
oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Patty, so nice to be able to share our love of nature isn't it? We are all probably old recycled Victorians who fell in love with nature and carried it into this lifetime!! I saw you and your Mr. had a lovely jaunt into the city, so nice to get away and so many great places here in VA... I shall miss it greatly!! xoxo