Follow by Email

Friday, May 9, 2014

natural abstracts





I was most fortunate...
gentle reader, to have know
both my grandmothers...

my maternal grandmother, Millie
was my "white bread grandmother" because she fed us
Wonder Bread..
and my paternal grandmother, Josephine, fed us Roman Meal
Bread, so I thought of her as my "brown bread" grandma..

there were lots of other things that distinguished them
but that leads to many other stories
for other days...







 I must have been about 6 years old at the time...
my grandmother owned a motel and for some reason I was staying with her..
 I wanted her attention
but she was busy doing paperwork and told me to go outside to play..
after a few minutes of pouting which got no notice at all..
I announce that..

I am bored..!!

Millie looked up from her paperwork over her glasses... those 1950's horned rim pointy things.. which made her look quite a bit like Mamie Eisenhower... I must add
and said...

"only boring people are bored! You are a creative person and creative people are never bored"

I was stunned and at once realized that I was again dismissed
and so I took my little self and went outside to think about her words...












it is interesting the things that shape us, isn't it?

it stopped me in my saddle shoes... and then..
I remember sitting on the front steps and suddenly seeing an ant trail and wondering where they were going and then finding the large dragonfly upon which they were feeding, which was by the fence that needed painting and I marveled at the patterns ...
and before I knew it I was being called in for supper...








 Josephine gave me a love for beautiful things, for abundance, a love of gardens and flowers and food... 
but it was definitely 
Millie 
who taught me to look everywhere for it...

beauty that is...








simply everywhere..







the arc of the ant trail...
the shimmer of the dragonfly wings...








the cracks in the sidewalk that resemble an envelope...








or the crumbling splendor of old buildings in decay...
life can get in the way sometimes
of our creative  outlook..
but..
it is a delight to have such friends as you..
who understand 
that beauty is everywhere..

my camera is tucked in my saddlebag
and I am off to parts unknown..
and I will be back next week..


ciao, ciao!







20 comments:

Connie Rose said...

Wabi sabi, everywhere one looks. It is indeed a magnificent world. Have a great weekend!

Sharmon Davidson said...

Don't you love those 'found abstracts'? Looking at them always prompts my husband to wonder about my mental stability, especially when I point to the side of a building and say, "Isn't that beautiful?" haha You are lucky to have had grandmothers who taught you to look for everyday beauty... Have a good time on your trip; I'm sure you'll find lots of beauty...

Marie Danti said...

Oh I am one of those that totally "get" the beauty in nature's abstractions. Another lovely post. Have a good trip.

Caterina Giglio said...

Connie Rose, it is indeed a wonderful world thanks for your visits!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sharmon! Hopefully he will get used to you and your creative outlook! I am fortunate in that my husband indulges me! And YES .. I was very lucky in the grandmother department!! X

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Marie.. I figured that my post would really resonate.. So glad you liked it and yes.. It will be a fun trip.. Just for pleasure!

Jo Murray said...

What a favour your grandmother did for you! That lesson has given you a wonderful artistic 'eye'.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Yes indeed. That is one smart grandma you had. A friend and I were just talking the other day how we can never understand when people say they are bored as we have so much to occupy our times. There's so much to do, so much to be done. Have a great trip. Tammy

Caterina Giglio said...

Yes.. She was a huge gift, Jo! Thanks!


Hi Tammy .. I know exactly what you mean! So much to do see and just trying to fit it all in! X

Dorthe said...

Hi dear , all the sweetest wishes for you to find beauty everywhere on your tour to unknown parts!
From what I see here ,you will have luck finding all kinds of beauty ,also in the tiniest spots.
Your photoes are amazing dear Caterina, and your memories so lovely. Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs,Dorthe

Margie said...

Cat, your post made me feel such a joy in my heart.
I so loved to know about your grandmothers and all that you learned from them.


Your photos are so beautiful.

Have a wonderful weekend.
xox

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Beautiful post. There is nothing like nature's abstractions to inspire us. Thank you!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Whether subliminal or intentional, this was an incredible tribute to Mother's Day. Have a great one yourself and see you when you get back.

Linda said...

Aha....so that's how it all started ;-)
A lovely post...I really enjoyed reading this today Cat. Big hug.... xx

~*~Patty S said...

looking forward to the beauty you will share with us upon your return dear Cat ~♥~

I saw a quote on FB the other day that struck a cord with me and goes along with exactly what you are saying here..."kids need time to be bored; that is how creativity is born"

Bless the wise artistic and Loving women in our lives ... truly a gift that keeps on giving!

sweet post
oxo

Becca said...

Ah, I love this post! Great story, and photos with texture!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Dorthe... thank you so much we had a lovely time, I have to process the photos, but you will see them!! I am so fortunate to have had such loving grandmothers... xoxoxo


So happy you liked the little story dear Margie! thanks for your visit... xox

Caterina Giglio said...

E, you are so right! I had not realized it until you said it, but you are right! My grandmothers did mother me, since my own mother was not able to do it... thanks for pointing that out to me and it gives me a new way to reframe that day! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Linda!! LOL!! yes that is it!! that is why she is the way she is!!!

Patty, What a great quote and so true obviously!! Had a lovely time, in Florida over the weekend, too short but wonderful no less.... xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Becca, thanks for stopping by, so nice to have you here.. glad you liked the little post.. x