Tuesday, February 18, 2014

endangered species





while winter's boney fingers still grip us tightly..
I am dreaming of spring..
and since I have no evidence of that..

I thought I would go through





my paper stash





and search for antique bird and egg prints...

and then I got sidetracked..
hoodwinked... tied up for a few hours...







it is dangerous to go perusing old boxes of papers..
journals bound in threads and raffia...
I could be lost for hours...

if it were not for you, dear reader...
gently calling me here to write 
a new post...






I could be lost for hours... perhaps days... grin

...

while I am working on my journal pages 
painting a new board and making several 
collages...







I thought I would 
rather show some things that I thought you might like to see if you were here..
rather than more wips..









and as I was pulling out old books and papers and 
an old atlas fell completely apart in my hands...
I realized that 
paper is going the way of the dinosaurs...
my shopping list is on my iphone
I am playing on my ipad with the 53 paper app

and eventually...





all this old crumbly
cellulose 

will turn to dust...








I don't think paper will ever go away completely...
like handwriting... which will be reserved for artists... probably...

but it will be more rare..






I hope I am wrong...
but I think I am not...
books are so...


heavy...






but ...
my paperstash did satisfy..

at least for the moment







my desire for spring...



C4N!







14 comments:

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Great post and I agree with your words. xo

Valerianna said...

Oh, I DO think there are enough bibliphiles around who want to feel the GRAVITy of a book that we will still have some. I hope so, it really isn't the same to look at an illustration online vs. holding it in your hands and see the ink on the rag paper.

You have a very good stash, BTW!

lynne h said...

a few days ago i was thinking about cursive writing going away. crazy... everyone 'writing' on a keyboard. and yes, probably paper - eventually. hopefully after i'm long gone!

xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Marilyn! yup!!

Valerianna... I think people will have fewer personal books and certainly paper, but I think artists will always be working with their hands.. whether it is digital or old school...x

yes, lynne, long after we are both dust bunnies... me hopes! xoxo

Manon said...

oooh...Love the papers!! Spring will arrive for you soon. We haven't had that problem in AZ. ..... record temps....we''ll feel it this summer!! :)

Caterina Giglio said...

Manon! My fam lives in Scottsdale where we grew up.. My brother teases me frequently.. Enjoy your great weather it will be 90 by St. Patty's!

Priti.Lisa said...

Thank you for the soothing diversion...I was working with some very saturated color today and to take a peek into your home to see your treasures and your artwork.
dreaming of spring...♥♥♥

Caterina Giglio said...

so glad you liked it sweet Lisa... I am dreaming of spring too... sending you huglets and smoochlets...

~*~Patty S said...

oooh what a lovely peek at some of your yummy papers dear Cat!!!

I too am a paper hound and find the feel and smell and sight of it delightful and oh so tempting...

if there are enough of us out there...we can save the papers ;)
Hah!

oxo

Marie Danti said...

I do love my paper stash too! I buy so sew art supplies these days, but the stash is ever inspiring.
Loved this post!

Kim Andersen said...

What a lovely stash of papers ... The colors are like snow banks ... I hope we never lose paper arts completely

Caterina Giglio said...

Ha! Patty!! the Save the Papers group! I love it... yes, that might be necessary!! xoxo

Yes, Marie, very inspiring! glad you liked it!

Hi Kim ... a bit like snow banks yes!! and I agree, I hope future generations realize the value...

Linda said...

Loved looking at your stash Cat.....and very beautiful it is, too.
Those piles of old paper are very special; they demand to be rifled through!
X

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can't believe I've been gone so long. It's good I had a post scheduled.

I fear you are correct about digital technology taking over our lives and our lifestyles. I see an old movie (mystery), and think about how things have changed, like cell phones, GPS, and forensics. How simpler life was back then, and how much we've come to rely on all the new gadgets with their whistles and bells.

I suspect the written word will soon go the way of the vinyl records, too. One place I would NOT be disappointed would be all those books I would no longer have to carry to class each day, with no time to stop between classes and buildings.

Thanks for bringing out a few of your goodies for us to peruse on this cold night.

Follow by Email