Follow by Email

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

stitching, drawing and dyeing






WIPs in the studio are all I have
to show you
right now...

lots of pieces are coming together...
paint splattered freezer paper..
below...



eventually it will be a book of feathers...



feather drawings...
are being stitched as well
and cloth feathers will
be collaged, so it will be
different.....




but that is all I really know right now...




and onion dyed khadi papers...







are all coming together 
in a hand stitched book..



I have already stitched the signatures in the book and 




below the fabric that I dyed for the cover of the book..
to cover the stitches..
even when I finish this piece
you won't be seeing the 
finished book for quite a while...
because it is 
my new project that I am submitting to Sew Somerset...




and the fabric is waiting to adorn the cover....



but 
I thought you would like to see the elements...
the rich textures and contrast...

and I am having fun putting it all together...
and creating feathers...

the symbol of ascension..



and thank you for stopping by
the sweet life... as always I am so 
grateful to you for your comments 
dear readers...





20 comments:

Yvonne said...

Oh I know it will be unique and beautiful. Nothing prettier than feathers and to have a whole book dedicated to them is wonderful! I love the onion dyeing. Looks like fun!

Caterina Giglio said...

It is fun Yvonne! I can't wait to see it finished.. thanks for stopping by!

sharon said...

I so love seeing the process, that is really the most important part, and each little bit you show is so gorgeous in itself Cat....the papers, the dyes, the feathers! Thank you for sharing this beauty!

Marilyn J. Rock said...

This all looks and sounds lusciously beautiful!

Dorthe said...

Your coloured papers ,splashed or dyed ,they are all so beautiful,- and Oh how I love the gold in between Caterina, -and to use the feathers through the book, is a so wonderful idea. I will so love to see your finished book in Sew Somerset one day !!
Hugs to you.
Dorthe,xx

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Sharon, part of the problem with an art blog is that so much of the time is spent in putting things together and not having finished pieces.. glad you like the pieces.. x

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Marilyn!

Well, we will see if they print it, dear Dorthe.... no guarantees!! xox

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

the elements are quite lovely. I am sure we will be oohing and ahhing soon. xox

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always like the process as much as, if not more than, the completed product. Really love the onion dyed papers. It's my kind of color. Makes me want to rush to the basement and have a dyeing session, but I have no onion skins (sad but true).

Will wait with anticipation to see/read when the book is published in Somerset.

Valerianna said...

Love the color orange.. and textures, thanks for the peek! (your little painting is flying to you in the mail)

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, it will be a while, since it has to go to CA and if they decide to print it, it will be out next June...

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi E... onions are pretty cheap.. and it is such an easy dye... love the splotches... thanks for the anticipation!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Val, and thanks so much, you can be sure that I will blog all about it!
and the color looks orange... more yellowy in person..but I still think you would like it... : )

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Beautiful beginnings Caterina. It will be so grand to see the completed journey of you and your feathers!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Mary Ann, I am looking forward to the finish!

Marie Danti said...

Oh Cat, I love using feathers in collage! A hand made book with feathers seems more than a little alluring! "Just like a feather in the breeze!" That's what my dad would say when we'd ask him how he was doing.
Love your post above as well. Artists are magicians!

Anni - My Creative Life said...

Caterina I love your onion dyed papers and fabric, also love the peacock feather, great elements and texture to use in your new project.
Anni

Linda said...

Gorgeous textures and colours Cat........so very 'you' :-)
I hope I can get to see the finished piece...... xx

Sharmon Davidson said...

stitching drawing and dying- sounds like a perfect day to me! Wow- these are tempting little tastes; can't wait until the recipe is done!

rivergardenstudio said...

Dear Cat, what a wonderful post. What I love is how you are sharing the beginnings of this beautiful project, and how it is in your mind, developing and growing and the process of creation is so alive.
roxanne