Follow by Email

Monday, July 1, 2013

crumbling splendor





crumbling, abandoned buildings
have always fascinated me...
there is something so poignant in the boarded windows and shuttered doors...
I think about all the stories that rooms could tell...

imagine what these rooms know...
the following photos are of the 
in Traverse City






this group of buildings were
once a huge mental health facility...





"In 1885 the state of Michigan chose Traverse City as the site for the Northern Michigan Asylum, a hospital dedicated to the idea that fresh air and beautiful surroundings could ease the suffering of the mentally ill".






"the hospital closed in 1989 but it's extensive forested grounds...






and stately Castle like buildings have now been preserved."








a development company has been renovating the buildings and turning them into mixed use buildings...




the renovated building below...





features restaurants and shops on the main floor and condos on the top floors...






It is quite an amazing undertaking and the new spaces are gorgeous...






though we were at the end of my trip, I will make sure to spend more time here when I get back to TC..




there are trails all over the grounds for running and hiking, skiing and birdwatching...






next time we will definitely 
have a lovely lunch at 


and spend some time 
in the shops..

I will be back with a new post before I take some time off for the holiday weekend.. 


C4N!




11 comments:

Yvonne said...

I just love to see old buildings such as that one, saved. They have so much history and character. Thanks for sharing.

Patti said...

Oh, Cat, how amazing! Love, love, love that the right people saw that beauty and are transforming it into a well-preserved yet useful piece of history! xo

Dorthe said...

Caterina, those buildings looks wonderful after they renovated them- and for such a great purpose!! A fantastic idea, to use them for this place of all kind of experiences, and condo`s is that for living?
So good when buildings not in use for their original purpose are reused for something good!!
Hugs and happy July dear.
Dorthe

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You can almost hear the whispers of voices who came before us...I love the idea of restoration and preservation. Wonderful post ...Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

~*~Patty S said...

Mary Helen expressed before me what I felt in seeing your photos Cat...makes me wonder how it "felt" there

we have an old jail in the are that has been turned into an art center...I found I got a little zapped for energy when touring it, seeing lots of art can do that but I couldn't help but feel that the past energy of the place may have also played a part

Suffragettes were imprisoned there too actually

thank you for sharing these images...they did chose a great color paint giving a fresh and crisp feel to the buildings!

gosh I'm chatty...missed ya Missy!
oxo

Priti.Lisa said...

I hope you will see my comment below...I think I left it on the post below...silly old me:)
♥♥

Valerianna said...

Looks like a great stained concrete floor - what a great rennovation!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are right! That is one MASSIVE undertaking. Seeing the building that has been restored and the ones that still need all that TLC, reminds me of how awesome it is to restore, rather than tear down. We seem to do that in America. That's why there are so few old buildings. it's good to see one project that will continue to give back.

It's amazing that there are grounds you can ski on. It must be a huge place.

Again, I'm so glad you brought me along to see this site. It is worth the trip!

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

C'est un grand régal que d'admirer l'ensemble de vos belles photos...
Une publication pleine d'intérêt... Il est bon de voir le développement qu'a pris ce lieu.
Je vous fais de gros bisous.

rivergardenstudio said...

Oh Cat, I love to visit and capture the feelings of old buildings in photographs too. You have done a beautiful job here, the feeling of history and mystery is lovely, especially in your first photograph. Have a lovely visit to the beach...
roxanne

Marie Danti said...

Thanks for sharing this, a very good thing!