Follow by Email

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

the sewing book series and where my header came from





sewing...
is a big subject with me
I had two grandmothers that sewed...
but they were very different...

and that made me a different kind of sewer too...

you knew there would be a story didn't you?








in 2007
Stampington announced that they were going to begin a 
new publication called
Sew Somerset
and I knew that the altered catalogue 
I was working on would be 
something I would submit...
it was made from old sewing bits and bobs








my substrate was originally  a JJill catalog




and I made a cotton transfer that turned out perfectly...
it was from an old ad
in a sewing magazine
of a woman with a downcast gaze..







and in 
2009
when I started blogging

I realized that it was the perfect image
for my header
because it looked
just like
La Dolce Vita...
doesn't it?




I was delighted to have my work published
and although I had been published in Somerset Studio
and a few of their other publications
I felt like I was home

flash forward on the current
of time to 2013
when I found this lovely gem of a book
Lippincott's Home Manuals-Clothing For Women
written in 1924







and you will understand 
that those sewing issues are still being resolved...

and... 

my work has really changed...


The Sewing Book Series


Sommaire








Sommaire detail




Part 1






and something tells me
that there will be a 
part 2...

these are both in the 


in the studio I am working on
 small paper stitched concertina books with nature themes
and mini collages ...
can't wait to show those to you
and see what you are all up to..

soon...


C4N!






20 comments:

Julie-Ann Bowden said...

Love how you got your name and transfers, isn't textiles so much fun! xxx

Kim Andersen said...

So beautiful Cat .... you are really growing in your art .... it was beautiful then and is beautiful now - but so different - that is growth!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Wonderful new work, really expanding on your already beautiful portfolio of lushness.xox

lynne h said...

wow, cat, wonderful post! i *had* wondered where that marvelous woman in your header came from...

i agree with kim; your work was beautiful then and it's beautiful now...

xoxo

Yvonne said...

How interesting! I always wondered where that photo came from. I have always been amazed with your work. It's all beautiful and unique.

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Awesome...and you sure do have a way with red!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I am always on the lookout for vintage sewing "stuff" You are a continuing inspiration. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Marie Danti said...

Love the narrative and it's new chapter! Simply wonderful. Continued success to you!

Sophie Munns said...

Adore the piece you put up at your fb page Cat!
WOnderful.
Just loving this work. Go you!
S xo

ArtPropelled said...

Aah so that's where she came from! Lovely to know the history of your header and I love Part 1

Dorthe said...

Hi dear Caterina,
This is so funny, as only yesterday evening reading in my bed, I reached for the Sommerset Sew 2007 and re-read your wonderful artickle and reviewed your gorgeous art pieces--I loved the story about you and your two grandmothers,--and here you are telling about that publishing from back than :-) I must agree that your art have changed so much and also say, that I LOVE both what you created then-and now! Your new series is wonderful, and I will impaiently wait to se your paper books !
Hugs from Dorthe

Kim Dellow said...

Ooo just wonderful and thanks for the background too. Kim

~*~Patty S said...

I also cannot wait to see what else you're working one Mz C ...

Loved your story and background which is very special indeed just like everything you create!
oxo

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

I love your altered catalogue - it´s so beautiful. Such a great idea.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I too wondered the story behind the photo...a bit of mystery!
How grand to have had two grandmothers that sewed! We are our grandmothers granddaughters in so many ways...we carry on but in our own way!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

However, wherever you create, it is always lovely to see. I adore your little concertina books. I'm sure the nature themed ones are going to be spectacular. Best wishes, Tammy

mansuetude said...

Lovely post. And you just made me think in terms of years of blogging--and the explosion of internet "tools" since then.

Great weekend to you.

annaschueler said...

Thank you for stopping by at my blog.
Your work is beautiful, too!

I's so funny that you work with these sewing patterns 'cause I have bought some old french magazines via ebay from around 1985 with a lor of patterns in it. But I bought it because of the text and the fonts.
So I wonder if you would like to have some of the patterns to work with.
If so just connect me

Gayle Price said...

Always different, always interesting, always inspiring. Your work is so refreshing, love your new sewing project. xx

rivergardenstudio said...

Your new stitching pieces are wonderful and look like they were so much fun to make! I agree with what Gayle said, everything but especially ...always inspiring!
roxanne