Thursday, October 4, 2012

travel art journal






ciao, gentle readers...
I have finally put the finishing touches on my 
travel journal
Travel the World....
as you can see, I had to put an old leather button through the spine to tie it shut, 
since it began to bulge...
and I am pleased with the way it turned out...






it is a bit rumpled from traveling about and being dragged from beach to beach
and restaurant to bistro, but I like that well worn look...
as you know





"A journey is like a marriage, the certain way to be wrong is to think you control it."
John Steinbeck






This time, my art kit included a snippets packet of bricolage painted papers and ephemera
as well as some fabric bits and some old rub on letters...
the sheets that were missing the all important vowels...






"Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on deep and permanent in the ideas of living." 
Miriam Beard





my breakfast tea with lemon
a simple pleasure
I added tracing paper pages...







I also took my colored pencils and watercolor paints with my reservoir brushes





I took thread and needle but it just did not call out to me.. 






the beauty of the ocean and the majesty of the blues were just mesmerizing
and I felt incapable of capturing it... 








I tucked little half pages in here and there for notes







and did a lot of reading...








a quick watercolor of the aqua water of St. Maarten...





counting down the days...
time coming to an end...







"One's destination is never a place but a new way of seeing things"
Henry Miller







one of the last pages in the book and the last watercolor..










"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."
Martin Buber



xo




22 comments:

Angela Recada said...

I love everything about this book - the colors, images, textures, every little detail! It was a real pleasure to go on your travels with you.
xoxoxo

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Gorgeous capture of your travels. I love the pages about reading a lot! xox

Deb L. said...

What a beautiful journal - so very "you "!! xox

Dianne said...

It's lovely!

~*~Patty S said...

how wonderful that you could fit that into your travels...
so special and lovely and your quotes are just perfect too...

my wanderlust is always just beneath the surface :)
oxo

sf said...

The shell on the cover is the perfect accessory...

Lisa DiNunzio said...

Oh Cat, thank you for sharing your book, I had to click on each picture and drink it all in...just gorgeous, the perfect keepsake. ♥♥♥

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I melted over the cover to start! The photos, writing and the transparent papers make a beautiful keepsake...ahhhh such sweet memories!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Incredible!! So different to see no sewing in one of your journals, but this is truly beautiful from the cover to the rumpled pages to the drawings to the colored pages to the use of rub-ons you would have had no use for. This is one truly awesome journal and I don't really have the words to express how awesome I find this book!!

kimmie said...

simply stunning! I imagine you will savor the memories for many years to come - what a wonderful memento of your trip!!!

Gayle Price said...

Hi Cat, thank you so much for dropping by and leaving me such a wonderful comment. Coming from you it really meant a lot........I love, admire and am inspired by your work ( and I am also a stalker of your Pinterest lol ). Your travel journal is so beautiful, I especially love the cover, and what a wonderful way to remember your journey. xx

Leslie said...

Oh, I just love it! There is nothing like holding a journal full of memories in your hands. It's beautiful!

Jacky said...

I love how when you return from your trip...these pages, images bring back so many memories. Feelings of sunshine on your skin as you gaze out upon the sea, memories of sea breezes and stifling heat. Lovely to gaze back on ...beautiful rememberances in those images (and those daily 'jottings' of course).
Such a beautiful travel journal Cat.
Love how you have had to add the button...containing the bulge of your art journal. Another beautiful touch.

Jacky xox

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Your travel journal is so beautiful Caterina. Love every single page. So inspiring

Linda said...

Truly wonderful...and so Caterina :-)

Marilyn Rock said...

Such a beautiful journal. I'd love to touch it!

Lori Saul said...

An extraordinary journal and I think it's wonderful that you carry it around- so inspirational and meaningful Caterina!

Patti said...

Let me just say, ma'am, that your rumpled rocks!!

Sharmon Davidson said...

It's wonderful to think that you'll have this book of treasured memories to look at always... beautiful!

Terri said...

Your travel journal is really something special. I adore your cover, and each page you have shared is fab! Wow!
Hugs,
Terri

rivergardenstudio said...

Dear Cat, I love your "travel the wold" journal. What a beautiful cover and the pages are gorgeous in their layers and textures. If i could hold this I would look through it again and again.
roxanne

Ange said...

Cat I feel I've just travelled the world with you. Your texture and colours bring out all the best landscapes a traveller could wish to see.
xxx
Ange