Tuesday, January 14, 2020

My Favorite Art Book Reads of 2019





It is only 
January
but we are off traveling again
and will be gone for a week..

This time on family business again.. 
so definitely 
NOT a
holiday
but most necessary...

while I am gone..
I hope this post will keep you busy..
these are my favorite art books for
2019

They are so yummy that I would own all of them,
but I personally only have 3..









Calling all naturalists, this book is so gorgeous, that I had to have it..
stunning pages, and loads of information, make this a great source of inspiration as well as information.







Page from Flora








If you are unfamiliar with Oliver Jeffers, you can check out his work on YouTube.. he is a brilliant illustrator and book writer... of books for all ages..
See him here on YouTube





at the Smithsonian American Art Museum




Bill Traylor was born into Slavery in Alabama, and his work was often called "primitive"
or "outsider" but as art "critics" have begun to realize  is now known mostly as a magnificent self taught artist.
This is an incredible book, plates, information and exhibition history.
This was just amazing... his imagery is often stunning and heartbreaking.






Jan Marsh






I was fortunate to receive this book as a holiday present and I love it.. I have always been interested in the Pre-Raphaelite movement and especially fascinated by their models. This book highlights those women, and devotes a chapter to each one. Some were artists in their own right, like Evelyn De Morgan, the artist of the painting below... and some were wives like Jane Morris the subject of the
painting below..But all of them took part in the Pre-Raphaelite movement.
This is a spectacular and beautiful book..





Portrait of Jane Morris by Evelyn De Morgan








Drawings, just drawings.. from the master, this book chronicles his notebooks and drawings and is very different in it's approach than most books on Leonardo.. with lots of drawings I had never seen.
Sumptuous...








Al Gury






And speaking of drawing...
This book gets almost a 5 star rating on Goodreads.. But I gave it 5 stars, because it is so all encompassing.. history, materials and techniques.. just stuffed with demos and highly illustrated.
on my list of books to own...





Patrick Syme
Flower Painter 
Edinburgh




This slim reprint was originally written and printed in 1821, by Patrick Syme, who was a floral artist. He created the book with paint colors and tints that exist in nature for the arts and sciences. This is a charming reprint of the nature of color. It sits on my inspiration station so I can refer to it.
It is the very book Charles Darwin used on his HMS Beagle voyage.. S







Barbar Haskell





We have all seen Georgia O'Keeffe's works on canvas, but her works on paper are amazing too. I particularly love seeing things that are not ubiquitous and if you cannot get to her museum in Santa Fe, where they rotate the works, viewing her work in books is the next best thing. 






well we are at Ciao for now..

When I return I will have finished my yearly journaling spreads.
I will post all the spreads here as well as
film the pages for my 
YouTube
channel..

Until then wish us save travels!


xox