Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Trip Inspiration Part 2





We both adore 
London..
there is never any end of things to see and do..

and one of my dear friends..
Joanne Archer
lives near London and always pops into town to meet up with us..
like my friend Kirsten
she knows all the best places to visit..


I met Jo eleven years ago, online.. 
we were both bloggers
and connected through our love of art and antiques..


If you are on Facebook you can follow her 

she is an amazing artist and has an Etsy shop too..


The front door of Dennis Severs House in Spitalfields

Jo and I also have a fondness for the slightly creepy and 
macabre
and so she took us to 




Joanne Archer and Moi.. in Spitalfields, joyful in a dry moment..


If you are unfamiliar with it, 
do check out the link and there
are several YouTube videos that are quite entertaining
to view

Below are two photos that I took from 
Trip Advisor..






because photography is not allowed 
AND 
it is a SILENT tour..
which had us both pointing and miming ..
grinning and making faces of all kinds..
at the sheer wonder of it all..






I simply adored it..
no electricity and no heating, 
means that
candles and fireplace
 offer light and warmth
just as it once did..

and in the rainy and grey afternoon..
 the stairs were a little tricky..
it is wonderfully creepy
obsessive..
creative..
amazing ..
it truly IS like walking
into a 
painting..


Also..

Eleven years ago..
I became friends with Kirsten Löser
at the same time
and if you have not seen her beautiful home
and farm, simply scroll to the last post..

You can follow her on Facebook

she is also a fabulous artist and I had such fun shopping in her
gorgeous store!


Kirsten and Cat,  enjoying cake and coffee on her birthday in Den Gamle By.

I meant to add the photo above to the last post..
so I am including it now.. 







Looking up at the Tate Britain.




One place that I missed on the last visit was








So this time,
I made it a point to stop by
because,
well..
Turner and Moore and Pre-Raphaelites
Oh My!




Turner at the Tate Britain..







There were artists of all ages
copying the masters and there were classes 
of youngsters lying on the floor
drawing..
just as I did as a kid..
it was simply lovely..



Dante Gabriel Rossetti



I cannot tell you how challenging it is to photograph paintings when they
hang from floor to ceiling..
and these are some of my best shots...





Dante Gabriel Rossetti





I have more favorite old dead artists 
than I can tell you about..
but certainly Turner, Rossetti and Sargent 
are in my mind 
very special ..
and it was remarkable to stand so close, 
to see paint lines and details and to 
be in awe of such
beauty..



John Singer Sargent, oil on canvas, Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose.


This is one of my favorites of John Singer Sargent..
such a beautiful study of children, but such a master piece of contrast..
and such a mystical work..





Henry Moore at the Tate Britain,
above was just amazing..
I only wish I had had a few hours longer to really view all of his sketches and sculptures...



The next day
we journeyed to
which is the oldest art supply
in 
London










This place is magical for artists..
when I entered
I was greeted and told..
"feel free to open drawers"
open sesame!












It was established in 1855 and it is unchanged and simply incredible...










the selection is unparalleled and puts
our modern chain stores to 
absolute shame..






It was fantastic to shop and find such great service











and knowledge about product and techniques...





and did I mention that the floors
creaked merrily
as I walked around?





If you go, prepare to spend money!
I only wish I had spent more...



Suffering through the rain in London! 




Thank you always for stopping by,
I am ever so grateful to you..
my kind readers, viewers..
and collectors..

We will be filming this week
so you will have that..

while 
we are gone next week..
 for a very happy occasion..
a family wedding..

see you on 
Friday


C4N!