Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Wrath of Irma





dear readers..
Irma was a long nightmare..
we made the decision to evacuate
a week ago..







and I hope you never have to make that decision..
I agonized over what to take and how to 
protect what we have..

with so many family photos to save,
I left them in a large plastic tub and put them up high 
enough to survive water..









my dear friend Robin told me to put small photos and
antiques in the dishwasher and it would 
be water tight when closed..
BRILLIANT
right..?


We took our current files
and wrapped the older ones in plastic..
I secured my studio,
loading most of my supplies in my closet and hoping for the best..











I took art with me..
some of my current pieces and several pieces that
I treasure..
our computers..
and my current art journal..



the evacuation process was trying and the traffic was difficult
but the waiting and watching from afar was 
challenging..
knowing that it was going to demolish the Keys as it had
so many of our favorite islands..

was hard to imagine
let alone 
realize..

and with family in Orlando and many friends throughout the state,
my attention was divided..


Irma took her time and she meandered around our state
with fickle unpredictability...
she kept us on our toes, just when we thought she would go west 
she shifted to central 
and that saved our home and our village..

The drive home was horribly long
and took 12 hours on back roads..




AND
this is what we came home to..
we almost drove into it in the dark of night..
since we live in a rural place,
 all the power was out due to these large trees that 
came down just one street over from our house..


We regained our power last night..
and it gave me a little time to ponder the nature of power
and how we take so very much for granted..

we are fine, the house is fine and all is well..

thank you for your well wishes and your concern..
I am so grateful and blessed..

so many are suffering in our state,
as well as through out the islands and my heart goes out to them..

I will start unpacking my studio today..
and hopefully have something to show
next week..


Thank you so very much for your kind concern and best wishes!

xox



19 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been really worried about you and as soon as I saw you had posted, had to come over to see how bad it had been. I'm simply thrilled you are safe, your home is safe, and all is well. I simply can't imagine the fear that must have gripped you as you watched the news of this storm. I was in KS, so saw the devastation from afar. I have friends who live near Orlando, and they live on a golf course. Like you, their power was cut due to a huge tree that took out the substation about a block over. As of this morning, they are still without power, because there are so many people who are still without it.

SO glad you let us know all is well. I can breathe easier now.

Roberta Warshaw said...

So glad you made it through relatively unscathed. My friends in the keys were not so lucky. I still have not heard from one of my friends since Saturday. She insisted on staying down there with her son. We begged and pleaded with her to leave. But to no avail. I hope I hear from her soon. We lived in Key West in the 1970's and then Big Pine in the 1980's. I cannot bear to look at the pictures. It is all too disturbing.

Corrine at corrinegilman.com said...

So glad, thankfully, all is mostly well. I heard e-coli is in the flood waters remaining, ugh, so dangerous for people and their animal companions in those areas. Hope what news there is is blaring it out....xox

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Glad you and yours are safe. Dishwasher? Good to unpack and settle back in to your lovely home and studio!

Randi Kuhne said...

We do have much to be thankful for! Glad you are back home safe!

froebelsternchen Susi said...

So glad to hear you are well and all of your home is mostly well too!♥

Zue said...

What a heart wrenching decision to have to make. Such a difficult time for you and everybody.
It must be a wonderful feeling to be back home.
X

Createology said...

So grateful you and yours are safe and able to be home now. Mother Nature is very powerful and unpredictable. You were smart to evacuate inn the face of the great unknown. May you find peace in your amazing Works of HeArt and time to be creative. Blessings Dear...<3

Dorthe said...

So happy you and your home, managed Irma, without damage , dear Cat.
Yes the worst must be, to stay far away, and not to know, what to return to... so terrible and a night mare , until you heart it changed route, and went past your town, what a relief and in the same time, almost feeling guilty , to be safe, knowing of so many others, whom lost so much in the storm , I can imagine.
Dear you, I am happy for you and you husbond, and family , that you all got through this ,- big hugs and kisses.
Dorthe

Caterina Giglio said...

Oh, Dr. E, I knew you would be worried, this is why I wish you were on FaceBook, I post to family and friends and let everyone know that I was safe through the process. Yes, the whole process was grueling and of course once we returned we had no wifi and could only use the phone by charging it in the car... tough to do when there is no GAS!! So blogging was out of the question. I am so blessed and am praying for friends who are on the East coast and have no power, it doesn't really cool off here for at least another month. Thank you for your concern my dear friend and I am so sorry to worry you! Big hugs to you!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Roberta, we are all so concerned about the Keys and I am so very saddened to hear that your friend would not leave, I know evacuation is tough and just the driving alone is awful and finding a place to stay where you are safe and can afford to wait it out can be challenging but loosing a life is incomprehensible. I am sure you are so very worried about your friend. The Keys need so much help and my husband cannot even get down there yet. here is to hoping all is well... x

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, yes, the waters are so foul, and I cannot bear to think of people and pets in them, it has been dreadful for everyone, even the simplest situations were grueling. Thanks for your concern! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Mary Ann, Yes, open it up and make sure it is dry, then baggie up the small photos, framed objects and nick backs, and load it up. Close the door and it will be water tight. What a brilliant idea right??

Caterina Giglio said...

Randi we will have to celebrate when you get home!! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Susi, thank you !!! all is well!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sue, it is wonderful to be home, going to be normal pretty soon here, so very blessed and grateful!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hello dear Creatology, I just could not wait around for such a big storm, a cat 5, no pun intended is just too big to play around with, we honestly dodged a big bullet and the islands and the Keys took the brunt of it, so we are blessed, but so many others are suffering. :-( Thanks for your kind thoughts and concern.. xx

Caterina Giglio said...

I will take those hugs and kisses Dorthe, and thank you so much for your concern and best wishes, it was pretty awful, watching and waiting, and my brother and his family were riding it out in Orlando, not to mention so many friends and some still without power, in this brutal heat!! But we are so grateful that all is well and for such great friends like you!! xoxox

suziqu's thread works said...

So glad you were safe and arrived back home safely too. You were lucky to be able to access some of the roads back with trees down like the ones near your home.
I hope you have by now established yourself back in the arms of your studio feeling safe and secure and feeling ready to create some more beauty for your and our eyes once again!
Love and hugs to you Cat,
Suzy

Follow by Email