Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Stamp Stories, Mixed Media on Paper





I have to admit, 
I was never a big fan of stamps..
the ubiquitous flag..
really did nothing for me..
or old dead guys..


it was only when I saw foreign stamps that
I began to pay attention..







walking ladies..
flowers..










and intricate design
fascinated me..


at first I blacked out the flags and dead guys with black paint..
and used them as small square elements in my design..
which I still quite like to do..










but as the images became more interesting,
I realized that they held meaning and stories..












designed by artists..
to commemorate events..
sent by lovers..
or dear friends..
wanting to connect..










bringing glad tidings and heart wrenching sorrow..
who could resist such tiny symbols of connection?









every stamp tells a story..

in fact each one carries DNA
and that is enough to get you thinking..











so my mind was spinning as I worked on these
last January for 
the Summer issue of 
Sew Somerset..









 and if you have not had
a chance to see
it or buy..

please check it out..


as always, I am so delighted you stopped by
the sweet life..
I will be back soon.. as I am busy in the studio..
and will have much to share..


Ciao, ciao!