Follow by Email

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Hemingway House





Hidden behind a brick wall on the largest hill
in 
Key West
is the
 Hemingway House

my cousin told me about her visit there
some years ago and I had always wanted to visit...






 because I have
read about his relationships and marriages
and I found him a fascinating character...

and you know how intrigued I am about the complexities of relationship...

He was married 4 times..
and he lived in Key West with 
Pauline Pfeiffer
from 1927-1940









The home is well cared for and was bought by a local
family, but so many people stopped by to see where 
Hemingway had lived that normal life became impossible
and they decided to just make it a 
museum...







we arrived early in the morning
but the place was already crowded and I took
precious few inside photos due to the tourists...
the home is filled with memorabilia, photos and personal mementos
as well as furnishings... 





Pauline loved ceramic tiles
and had quite a fashion sense...
she was a writer for Vogue Magazine and had 
been a "friend" of his first wife
Hadley








The house is still home to the descendants of 
the original Hemingway cats...
and they are everywhere ...










As you can see below...






I think they are fed on each tour...









and I do mean everywhere...







the house has the largest pool in Key West...
When Pauline found out that Hemingway was having an affair
with soon to be wife number 3
she had his boxing ring removed and put in the biggest pool
that she could..






The cost of the pool was 20 thousand dollars
and when he found out the price,
he took a penny out of his pocket 
and threw it on the patio at her feet and shouted 
that 
she had taken his last 
red cent..








so Pauline had the penny embedded in the patio
so she could tell everyone that 
she was the woman
who took his last 
red cent...










His studio was built above the garage, which is now the 
museum store
and he had a cat walk built to go from
the second floor veranda of the house to his studio so he could
go to work each morning...






I am not fond of dead stuffed things, but it was fascinating to see the books on his shelves 
and the furnishing...






and 
the grounds were pretty spectacular...







It was truly worth the visit..

if you want more information
you can visit
 this link



Thanks for joining in on the travelogue...
I will have some new art for you next 
week!


C4N!



18 comments:

Pamela Gerard said...

Good for Pauline (for embedding the penny!). That looks like a very interesting place to visit.

l. katherine roberts said...

I thoroughly enjoyed a short visit to Key West years ago. One of my favorite sites was a cottage where Robert Frost occasionally resided. There were some lovely little sketches, which I believe, were attributed to him. As an artist, I’m sure you would appreciate them.

I’ll look forward to seeing the art your trip is sure to inspire.

My best-l

ELFI said...

j'aime les mini-tigres dans la jingle.. :))))

Corrine at corrinegilman.com said...

Another great house from your trip. I think we missed this one, fabulous tiger kitties. My fave. Gardens down there are lush and the plants prehistoric. Thanks for the tour. xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Pamela! Well you could say that about Pauline, she got what she wanted out of him, and she took him away from Hadley, who was not exactly a beauty or a fashion plate... so knowing that he "strayed" with her, she probably knew the relationship would not last..

Caterina Giglio said...

oh Katherine, thank you so much! I am unaware of a Robert Frost cottage, but the next time I am there, I will put it on the list! Thanks for stopping by!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Merci, ELFI, ils étaient partout , ces mini tigres !! :D

Dorthe said...

Thank you for taking me along to this house ,which the big Hemingway once lived in.
It looks very pretty there, and the garden with pool, rather big, too, was he a wealthy man already when alive ? The tiles are lovely, but oh my, too many cats for me, even I love cats, lol.
Thank you dear Cat , and hug to you!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It seems you always post on Tuesday when I am busy hosting a link party. So of course, I am always late visiting here.

Loved the tour, and had to agree about the dead stuffed things, but that was a sign of status in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when every rich person was hunting big game, then stuffing it to show their prowess.

It must cost a fortune to keep that house, pool, and CATS. I wonder what the cat food budget is (grin) because Bleubeard would be envious, I'm sure. Squiggles, on the other hand, would eat anything (cat food) you fed him.

Thanks for taking me along on this fun trip. I really enjoyed it, and was so amazed at all those cats that look the same.

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

You are making the rounds of the famous and interesting parts of Florida...thanks for sharing! Beautiful pool!

Pallas said...

My husband and I used to live in southwest Florida, and we visited Key West a few times. The Hemingway house was a favorite, and I enjoyed seeing your photographs - they brought back memories of those trips.

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, the plants are positively prehistoric, and such color, right up your alley!! glad you liked the tour!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Dorthe! too many cats.. yes, the bookstore has a definite odor, shall we say? But a very interesting tour, so happy you liked the photos. Yes, his books were and still are quite popular and he made a lot of money, but I am sure he felt pressure after each book to create a "hit". Still that amount of money for a pool in those days was outrageous.. xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi E, and you are right, I DO always post on Tuesdays, and it is because of T day, just go into the habit of it!! I was thinking about you when I wrote this post, and my dear cousin who is a cat person too and originally told me about the house.
As for stuffed critters, he was a big game hunter... eww but there you have it.. and I cannot remember what the museum charges, but I remembered thinking it was pricey and all in cash, no CC for anything, they even have a cash machine in the bookstore! I imagine it takes a lot of work to keep it all in order, especially in Florida with mold and damp conditions!
So happy you liked the little travelogue ... see you next Tuesday! x

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Mary Ann... yes, Mr. LDV believes in knowing your environment, so we are taking in all the sights, still more to see, imagine that!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Pallas, so nice to have brought back your memories, it is a very charming town...

Uouo Uo said...


thx

تصميم مواقع




thx

شركة تنظيف بالرياض




thank you

حراج السيارات


Caterina Giglio said...

You are so welcome, thanks for stopping by!!