Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Nature of Drawing





It occurred to me last night as I was
lifting off into sleep..
that so much of what goes on in the studio
never makes it on the blog...







because it is so mundane,
just practice really...




"Drawing is your understanding of form."
Edgar Degas






I take so many photos, to use in the studio..
I never know when or how they will 
be put to use...

I took these with Meg when she was here..
and bless her heart...
she waited patiently for me to photograph this agave, from all angles..









they end up
stuffed into the sketch book..




"Painting around an object will help you look at your subject in a new way, as shapes and spaces."
Mary Todd Beam





They have nothing to do with a finished product...
there is no goal..
no agenda..
just the nature of drawing...




"The essence of drawing is the line exploring space."
Andy Goldsworthy





They are about exploration..
practice, study...



"You are not drawing nature, but responding to nature in full awareness, to the way nature expresses itself in that object."
Fredrick Franck







so I thought it would be interesting to share my mixed media
drawings 
with you...
to know what really goes on in the studio
on a day to day basis...




"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit."
Ralph Waldo Emerson




it is really 
just 
seeing....


"I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen."
Fredrick Franck




xo

29 comments:

Gilda Povolo said...

I like this meditation upon drawing as a meditation in itself, Cat! Very rich in its very simplicity!

Jo Murray said...

Drawing is the essence of art...SO important....and you do it so well.

Gail Pierce said...

Spectacular! (see I know another word for your work!) You definitely captured the essence of an agave! xo

Zom Osborne said...

Drawing as a way of knowing. So true.

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Une jolie publication qui donne un sens au mot dessin...

Gros bisous ♡

Barbara Casillas said...

I enjoyed your drawings with no agenda or goal. The journey is as meaningful as the destination. In art and life. I have a blog at saltairandpistachios if you'd like to take a peek.

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Gilda,
So happy you liked the little post.. meditation it is.. xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hey Jo, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for kind remark!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Gail, thank you, dear heart, I so appreciate the "S" word!! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Zom, you know it very well... I so admire your skill and creativity!

Caterina Giglio said...

Bon Jour, mon ami! Merci beaucoup! xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Barbara, thanks for stopping by, and I will be right over to visit your blog! ciao!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Lovely. I like how you put the actual subject with the drawings and hand wrote the materials you used. Happy Fall!

Pallas said...

I've always admired people who can draw - not all of us can you know. Ha! Your drawings are quite good.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Lovely exercises in just the creative work of the day. xox

Sharmon Davidson said...

Thanks for sharing your drawings with us. They are lovely, both as a way of seeing, and as pleasures to see... I agree with every quote you have collected here. xox

lynne h said...

oh cat... you make me smile!!

xoxo

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

I so like these drawings and the perfect quotes. There is something so special about sketching with simple materials...a slowing down and truly seeing!

Seth said...

Nice behind the scenes post!

Dorthe said...

They are so beautiful, in all their simple forms and colouring dear Cat,
you make me wish to also draw a BIT!!
Your green agave drawing is absolutely wonderful, and thank you for all the qoutes, they goes so well, with your photoes!!
So lovely being here again, my dear !!
xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Tammy, thank you! I thought it would be a nice change.. xo

Caterina Giglio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caterina Giglio said...

Oh Pallas, If you want to learn to draw, I can tell you how to do it!! : D

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine, thank you... xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Sharmon, so glad you liked the quotes and the tiny sketches... x

Caterina Giglio said...

:D back at you, lynne.. xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, absolutely and I think it is highly underrated!

Caterina Giglio said...

Seth, thanks for the kind comment and for always stopping by... so kind of you...

Caterina Giglio said...

Ah, Dear Dorthe, so happy that you are back home again! so happy you enjoyed the little sketches, and the brilliant green of the agave! thanks for stopping by and always being so kind! xoxo

Follow by Email