Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Biltmore, Part 1




Yes, dear reader...
I took so many photos that I must divide my post
in 
two..

for those of you who have been there, you know that they do not allow photography inside..







and there are camera police 
and docents everywhere...
with good reason... since the house is filled with
treasures..







I got a close up of the lions at the front door,
with the grand staircase to the left ..
you will see them in the photo below..
and to give you an idea of how large these are...
I am 5 feet tall and stood with my arms outstretched with my iPad 
to shoot this photo...









everything is massive here..
with 65 bedrooms and 42 bathrooms..








to learn more about the Estate
check out this link..







If you are a Downton Abbey fan,
then you will understand the size and complexity of this home..
and it truly was a home..





The grand staircase of the Biltmore is visible from outside, the windows light the way..



there are photos and family portraits, artifacts and art works
that were here originally...









I was of course quite taken with the details...








and the copper on the roof which has turned to
a gorgeous shade of verdigris..










the courtyard and stables have been renovated as shops, bistro and bar..


















the roof top terrace leads directly 







down to a lovely 
Italian Garden...








complete with a fountain..








and lovely places to sit and relax...










before venturing into the miles...






of gardens...






below...









See you next Tuesday..
when I will have journal pages finished...
and please stay tuned for part two..


ciao, ciao!