Follow by Email

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Art Journaling, Selfies and the Power of the Pen





normally
in January, I post every journal entry of my
art journal, all 12 two page entries..

this year however, I decided that I would
just catch you up with
my pages... 


since I am woefully behind...


Je Suis Charlie... My first ink pen..



and since I missed three months due to
packing and moving
and the unfortunate flooding...


I thought I would share with you
the cover and frontispiece of  my journal...

and if you have been following my blog..








you will remember that I got this 
journal some years back at a flea market...
it was in great shape









and has enough pages for anther year..
and I still have not 
started the cover, but that will come in good time..

November pages below...
about allowance and going with the flow...







ingredients: walnut ink resist on book pages, gesso, acrylic ink, colored pencil, paper ephemera, chalk  pen, pencil.





Detail from November pages, Caterina Giglio



December was very busy...
travel and new beginnings...
holidays and welcoming 
a new grand baby..

a joyous month...



December journal pages, Caterina Giglio

ingredients: transfers on gesso and painted pages, wrapping papers and ephemera, pencil, stabilo pencils, and cardboard



Detail December journal pages... Caterina Giglio



December was filled with good food, chocolate and champagne..
my one weakness..



Detail December pages, Caterina Giglio




and 
January brought us
hopeful thoughts
of a bright future...

so
we were all stunned by the murders
in 
Paris...

My January pages have traditionally been marked with my self portrait..
and this year was no different..
but I dug through my boxes to find
the first ink pen 
I bought as a teen..
and gave it a prominent place..






ingredients: French paper ephemera, writing paper ephemera, watercolor paper, Stabilo pencils, colored pencils pencil


sketching from a photo I had taken
I realized as I was collaging the French papers to the page
that I was wearing my gigli
know also as a French Fleur De Lis..

we must
remember always..
the pen 
is
mightier than the sword...




below my 2013
self portrait...








and my 2014 Self Portrait...





"The face is a mirror and the eyes without speaking confess 
the secrets of the heart.."

St. Jerome



xo


23 comments:

Brian Lapsley said...

Wow! The page layouts are amazing!!!!

Caterina Giglio said...

Brian, thank you so much! so glad you liked them!!

Margie said...

Your self portraits are wonderful ...
And all of the pages are beautiful.
A new grand baby, how lovely, congrats, Cat.
xo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was deeply moved by your comment about the pen being mightier than the sword. And the fact you used it on French paper to make a portrait with a Fleur de Lis, made it even more special.

I also like how layers and layering define your November pages. Beautiful, beautiful.

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

True words my friend and a lovely way for us to see them. xox

Dorthe said...

They are all stunning pages, Caterina, and I was so inspired seing them. Such beauty in every spread, and your self portraits are wonderful. The pen ,yes.... is stronger than the sword, lets hope more people will agree, on the long run !!!
Weekend hugs to you, my friend !
Dorthe

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Keeping up with pages is a rich and deep exercise...this is a beautiful post and lovely self portraits. The stand alone pen speaks volumes...may your art making flourish 2015!

Gaby Bee said...

These pages look fantastic, Cat. I especially love your self portraits.

Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Gaby

Caterina Giglio said...

Thank you Margie, yes she is a delight! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

E, thank you, I didn't really realize that I was papering with my french book, until later and as I was creating my portrait, I noticed the Fleur... it is so funny how the subconscious works.. November was a rough month, go with the flow or be torn apart... ah... relationships!!
x

Caterina Giglio said...

Corrine thank you... smiling with you in mind... x

Caterina Giglio said...

Dorthe, it is a concept that many are too young spiritually to understand... alas... but that doesn't mean that we should stop trying to set the example... xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Mary Ann, my pages keep me on the path... the crooked playful one... grin

Caterina Giglio said...

Gaby, thank you, I thought it would be interesting to document not only portrait, but my change in styles concerning my portrait..

Margie said...

Thank you, so much for the kind words on my last poem , so happy you found it zenful ...xo

suziqu's thread works said...

Truer words have never been said just wish more people could LISTEN with their hearts! These journal pages are beautiful and poignant at the same time. A combination of beauty and strength! Your self portraits are beautiful!
xox

Seth said...

Stunning pages Cat. Wonderful self portraits...each truly conjure up a different mood and emotion. Your journal must be a treasure in person.

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

Stunning pages Caterina,love all the small pieces with handwriting.
Anni

Caterina Giglio said...

Margie, you are so welcome, it was beautiful!! xo

Caterina Giglio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caterina Giglio said...

Suzi, one must be spiritually ready to hear... I suppose... thanks for stopping by and thank you! xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Seth, thanks for noticing that, it has really been interesting to see the differences from year to year... a practice that I find very intriguing...

Caterina Giglio said...

Anni, thank you... writing bares the soul, the energy of the hand, the power of the words, it is so fascinating... x