Friday, February 7, 2014

banishing the grey





one of the things
I always looked forward to in the spring
was dyeing Easter eggs...
using natural dyes from the kitchen

onion skins
red cabbage
red wine
blue berries
celantro-spinach leaves
coffee
grape juice
chamomile tea..
the list goes on and on...








and since we have had precious little sun..
I decided to take the matter into my own hands..
and created a little sunshine in the studio







I used onion dyed papers for my 
feather book, Ascension which will be featured 
this June in Sew Somerset...

for anyone who has not used 
natural dyes
I urge you to try them..
they are easy and you can find more info on the web...

I boiled the skins.. which I save in the cupboard in a baggie

and wait until the water is
just darkening...






and then I spoon it on
the Khadi paper.. skins and all ...

and let it sit until it dries...







sometimes it is good to take 
a break from sketching...
painting...
and studio work...








to just make some beautiful papers...
mindlessly..
open to the possibilities...
unattached to the outcome...








and when you surrender
the results...







you might find that you have made your own
sunshine...


have a beautiful weekend...
I will be back on Tuesday with new work..
and a new look to the Dolce Shop...


ciao, ciao!








21 comments:

Chris Gray said...

When I think of the number of onion skins that go in my food recycling bin......

Love the papers :-)

x C

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Mmmmm, I know exactly what you mean. Maybe that's why I randomly gelli printed this morning? LOL xox

Caterina Giglio said...

Hey Chris! You can use them to dye cloth and ribbon! :D

I figured you would understand! Thanks Corrine!

Sylvia Ballerini Jewellery said...

The skins, resting on the paper, generate graduations and intensity., subtle differences in hue, that create interest. Lovely results Cat.

Margie said...

Hi Cat,
I was sending an email to my sister and saw your lovely comment at my post (many, many thanks)

So nice to visit you and see this awesome post, you created some wonderful papers there, I shall give it a try.

Take care

Margie
xo

layers said...

What a wonderful idea... using naturals to create your own dyes.. to create your own papers to use later..

Suzi Smith said...

you know… it's the simple, obvious stuff that I forget about… thanks for that, love your papers xo
(also involved in a khadi love affair)

Marilyn J. Rock said...

Yummy results with the onion skins! xo

Sharmon Davidson said...

beautiful dyed papers, Cat; I love the softness of those natural dayes...thanks for the tutorial!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've always cooked my onion skins until they were more or less mush. I like dark hues, so I'm going to try this one of these days. I'll use watercolor paper, so I hope it works. Beautiful photos, though and work well done.

~*~Patty S said...

very lovely Cat...
natural dyes are the best...
I had a fab time last Easter playing with food dyes and was amazed at how differently fabrics took the same dyes as paper and eggshells...
each so lovely

wishing you a very nice weekend...hope the sun finds you soon too!

oxo

ArtPropelled said...

"unattached to the outcome" .....so important to experiment and have fun. Gorgeous images, Cat!

Caterina Giglio said...

Sylvia... yes exactly... they puddle so nicely and make such lovely marks!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Margie. so nice to have you stop by... hoping you are feeling better... do give it a try!

Hi Donna, glad you like it, it is fun give it a try, I know you will like it...

Hi Suzi, thanks for popping in... it IS the simple stuff isn't it? xo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Marilyn... thank you!

Sharmon, you are welcome... I forgot to mention a touch of vinegar to stabilize ..

I understand E, I used darker colors for the book.. so glad you liked the pics...

Oh Patty, it is so true.. fabrics, papers and egg shell all take the same dye differently ... and it fascinating to see the results! xoxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Yes Robyn, I agree... that is when the real work starts..

Corn Dena said...

fun! onion ink!
artisoo

Caterina Giglio said...

Yes! onion ink!! thanks for stopping by!

Linda said...

Oooh...making papers; such a soothing, satisfying activity! Lovely colours...I especially like the 4th one down. X

Lorraine Renaud said...

Wow I can learn so much from you, I forgot how much I love what you done, mine took a different direction i would take old journals and decorate them...how did I forget about you? oh right I had a hellish year, but I'm ok now and I can do art again, I hope

Uhu work said...

Many peoples want to earn money on internet without any investment but there is many online jobs which have many investments. Now you can earn without any investment with Just clicking and Earn daily upto 10 Dollars.
Join this Best opportunity to make money online without any investment or Charges.
HotProClicks.com

Follow by Email