Follow by Email

Friday, January 31, 2014

a matter of movement




isn't it funny how people resist change?

and yet...
it is the only
CONSTANT 
in our lives

I understand it and I have resisted 
certain changes as well..
but the older I get.. the more I am convinced
that real wisdom is learning to embrace 
change as quickly as we possible can...






cradled panel wip on my easel...



this was on my mind gentle readers 
as I have been making changes with my work...
and have been feeling it coming for such a long time...

to keep doing the same things over and over again
would be for me anyway

a prison of my own making...

I have known artists who became stuck 
creating the same works over and over because their audience
dictated their creativity... 




closeup of the wip.. acrylics on board





and that would be the last thing 
I would want..
it has always been my goal to change
mediums and pursue whatever interests me
and suck it dry
until I feel that I have 
taken it all in...

and explored it
devotedly...





adding text to the wip above ... transfer on canson watercolor paper, with acrylics and nupastels



my new work is still about relationships..
about movement..
and changes..
the water studies are ever so challenging..

adding text
and finding that letters swim so well..
was a joy... 




closeup of work in progress...




I finished my grey water studies
and I will have those for you
next week and hopefully the wips above will be done
as well..

my wish for you is that all your changes
will be exciting and invigorating...
and you embrace them fully...

resistance is futile you know...



C4N!




16 comments:

Valerianna said...

Change in artwork can be so exciting, IF we have the courage to admit that the work we have been doing is not inspiring us as much anymore. Other changes, well, much harder to adjust to, but, adjust we must. Looking forward to seeing more of your new tack!

Corrine at sparkledaysstudio.com said...

Hmmmm, love what is emerging, can't wait to see it all. xox

Brittan said...

The new changes certainly are beautiful and inspiring!
I love the inspiration of change, even if it can be a bit challenging sometimes!

xo

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Good for you!! It can be both challenging and exciting to try new ways with new inspiration.

Suzi Smith said...

mmm…. lovin' it! And the selfie looked fab & belated birthday wishes xoxoxo

Mirjana Cesar said...

Wonderful post and art! Yes, changes are challenging but needed for artistic growth. In my case I just can't resist experimenting and trying new things, exploring new inspirations. So, I do understand you completely!

Marie Danti said...

Love the movement and vitality of your new work....looks like you are going with the flow!
I have outgrown so many ways of working, but the one given is that I will do art of some kind. It is such a solace and gift.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Nicely done on this new series. There's a lot of movement in this series. And the colors speak to me, too.

You had me agreeing about artists who get stuck in their work. Those are the artists whose signatures are so ingrained in their art, they can't let go, or refuse to change. Or maybe they simply don't know where to go next since their original idea was so well taken.

I agree that resistance is futile. Maybe that's why I'm always all over the map with my interests (grin). I may have to try a series of work in the future. They sure work well for you.

Patti said...

Thank you for your kind words on my post - I have turned the corner (finally) and am painting faces with abandon. The hours (and hours) of practice have paid off. I have been thinking for the past few months that if I was unable to find my own voice, I would move on to something else. Love your new work!!!!!! Can't wait to watch your progress (and yes, without change life would be a bit boring:)
xoxo

Sue Marrazzo said...

I am a mixed media artist and I love seeing the process that other artist take to CREATE!!!!!
Kudod to you.

~*~Patty S said...

Very happy for you that you are embracing change...so true what you wrote and lovely new artwork too dear Cat!
oxo

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Val..it feels so good to move forward.. I am not sure where it will lead, but it is exciting!

Caterina Giglio said...


Thanks Corrine!

Brittan! So nice to see that you have popped in! Yes a bit daunting but exciting! Thanks for the visit!

Mary Ann thanks for the encouragement.. You always inspire me!

Caterina Giglio said...

Thanks Suzi.. It was a great birthday!

Hi Mirjana.. I became a mixed media artist for that very reason.. To be free to move and grow.. Paint alone just wasn't expressing my feelings.. Now I am looking at things differently!

Marie! I understand.. I love trying new things it makes me want to get back in the studio each day!

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi E! Yes I agree about artists who keep doing the same thing and resist change.. Many just like the steady pay check ... And sometimes their audience won't allow the change.. Yes try doing a series.. See what you think! X

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Patti, you are so welcome and it is so true! thanks for your kind encouragement! xo